Bowl Predictions

Argo

I looked for this and did not see it, so if I'm re-posting, please don't shoot me.

Bowl Predictions.

Any thoughts?

I think that Cal will get a at-large bid over Texas if Cal continues to go undefeated. Edit: I mean undefeated for the rest of the season. Giving the Pac 10 two BCS bowl teams.

The big east should not get a conference bid!

Looks good to me. However, one of us needs to be in the orange bowl. At this point it looks like you have the best chance.

Go :sec: !!

:ut:

I'd love to land in the Orange Bowl, but the Sugar Bowl certainly seems feasible. Am I the only one that doesn't think UT will get the other at-large bid in the BCS games?

I really don't mean this as a slam or a taunt right now, just an observation of how things have changed in college football...

Who'd have thought, 10-20 years ago, that the day would come when neither Bama nor Nebraska would be expected to do any better then the Independence Bowl? Or that Cal and Purdue would be someone's picks to represent the Pac-10 and Big-10 in the Rose Bowl? :blink:

I'd be thrilled with the Sugar bowl. Anything better, like King said, "Is gravy."

FYI, a point that I try and make when everyone talks about ranking conferences is illustrated here very clearly.

Cotton - Big 12 No. 2 vs. SEC - Oklahoma State vs. LSU

Looks like the SEC #4 is good enough to matchup with Big 12 #2.  :poke:

Outback Big Ten No. 3 vs. SEC - Wisconsin vs. Florida

Big 10 #3 vs SEC #5.....interesting  :huh:

Music City SEC No. 6/7 vs. Big Ten No. 6 - Arkansas vs. Iowa

SEC is probably overmatched again. This is becoming repetitive.....  <_<

PeachACC vs. SEC - Virginia vs. South Carolina

Va would be ACC#3 vs the SEC 6 or 7. Yeah, that's fair.  :no:

Independence - Big 12 No. 5/6 vs. SEC - Nebraska vs. Alabama

Probably the most even matchup of the bunch.

So it's blatantly obvious that the bowl committees feel the SEC should be overmatched in order to provide the viewing public with competivite bowl games.

So the next time some hack in the media or some chump from up north or in the midwest starts crowing about how tough their conference is, just whip this little gem out and enjoy the stammering and jibberish they try to come back with.

WDE

There should be another section added to the forums for all this "what if " crap.

Bring on the Hogs and forget all this other shiznit for the time being.

Looks good to me.  However, one of us needs to be in the orange bowl.  At this point it looks like you have the best chance.

Go  :sec: !!

:ut:

111223[/snapback]

unless a lot of people start losing, there is no way Tennessee gets to the Orange bowl.

We still have 5 games to play (plus SECCG hopefully). Miami has 7 left and most everyone else still has to play at least five more games. It is kind of silly to make bowl predictions this far out.

I am worried about Ark.

Here's what I noticed:

1) There are 28 bowls = 56 teams, or almost half (47.9%, to be exact) of the 117 teams in Division 1-A. Since there is a winner and loser in every game, it seems probable that approximately half the schools have winning season while the other half will have losing seasons. Thus, since you must have a winning season to be elegible, it's almost as if every qualifying team is guaranteed a bowl. Bowling used to be a very special privilege for very good teams, now it's more like just an extra game given to everyone above average.

2) This also reads like every bowl is tied/committed to a particular conference and slot. There is no room for creative match-ups or flexibility. If you're going to pre-ordain every slot/berth before the season starts and take the local bowl committees out of the selection process anyway, then why not go ahead and make them a real playoff with predefined brackets?

:au: I was once in favor of some sort of a playoff system until yesterday. I heard someone on the radio say that a playoff system would take some of the importance away from the regular season games. It made good sense, but I do agree that something has to be done. :au:

how can u blame bush for that

111377[/snapback]

Sarcasm, my brother. He gets the blame for everything else.

My point was actually that it is all about money and bowl sponsorships.

Archived