M of V

JTTIGER

I realize that margin of victory is not a part of the BCS picture, but I can't help but think that the voting members do not look at this. With this being said, I am somewhat diappointed that TT chose to "pull off the dogs" early on. I know that many will say, "one game at a time, and the rest will take care of itself", but I can't help but look at the future. I am so afraid that we will run the table and be on the outside looking in when it comes to the BCSCG! My thought........Beat Everyone As Bad As Possible!

Unfortunately many of the coaches allow their SID's to cast their votes in the poll up until the last few weeks of the season. I think that many of the SIDs just look at the scores as an indicator of how the team performed. Having said that, I wish that Arky has not scored that last TD, or else Tubby pile on an extra TD for effect.

:au:

Guess Coach Tubby should be on the hotseat again...... :blink::rolleyes::big:

If this is all we can complain about, Heck, feel very good about it. :yes:

111860[/snapback]

You can say that again, and again, and again. :cheer:

I realize that margin of victory is not a part of the BCS picture, but I can't help but think that the voting members do not look at this.  With this being said, I am somewhat diappointed that TT chose to "pull off the dogs" early on.  I know that many will say, "one game at a time, and the rest will take care of itself", but I can't help but look at the future.  I am so afraid that we will run the table and be on the outside looking in when it comes to the BCSCG!  My thought........Beat Everyone As Bad As Possible!

111833[/snapback]

Margin of victory has been eliminated as a factor in the computer ranking systems which only amounts to 1/3 of the BCS formula. You're absolutely right about the human pollsters being swayed by margin of victory. I know I am. If a team wins by 70 -- that means a whole lot more than if they win by 7. Having said that, I know what CTT & staff are doing and I have to admit it's smart: jump on a team early & get a big lead by halftime and then force the other team into mistakes trying to beat you in the 2nd half. Field position, run the clock out on offense, try not to give up the big play on a mistake, play some reserves to get them experience & rest your starters to avoid injuries. The Arky & UT games were the same theme, different opponents. I could live with 6 more wins by this formula! :au: WDE

Margin of victory has been eliminated as a factor in the computer ranking systems which only amounts to 1/3 of the BCS formula.  You're absolutely right about the human pollsters being swayed by margin of victory.  I know I am.  If a team wins by 70 -- that means a whole lot more than if they win by 7.  Having said that, I know what CTT & staff are doing and I have to admit it's smart:  jump on a team early & get a big lead by halftime and then force the other team into mistakes trying to beat you in the 2nd half.  Field position, run the clock out on offense, try not to give up the big play on a mistake, play some reserves to get them experience & rest your starters to avoid injuries.  The Arky & UT games were the same theme, different opponents.  I could live with 6 more wins by this formula!  :au: WDE

111905[/snapback]

I am swayed by them as well. All you see is the scores and leading players' stats when looking at scoreboard reports. This is the reason you have always seen Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida, FSU, USC, etc. hang as many points as possible on everyone they play. It impresses people, people like the human pollsters.

I also understand what the coaches are doing and why. No one can fault you for jumping on your opponent early, getting them out of their gameplan, and forcing them to play mistake-prone catch up football. Where I disagree with this method is running the clock out starting early in the 3rd quarter. If you went into halftime swinging, then come back out swinging. Make them understand fully that it is not their halftime adjustments slowing you down, and completely destroy their spirits. Two scores should be sufficient to remind them that you still control the ballgame, and that rallying is futile. Resting the starters is fine, send the backups out and let them nail the coffin up.

That is just what I would prefer to see, but I will certainly take a second half of hoping the other guy does not mount a comeback over what we used to have. This team has my complete confidence, which is unusual. Auburn's defense is about the only thing you could usually count on for consistency during the past several years, so trusting them with the game on the line is no concern. What I am unused to is not worrying about how Campbell will play, whether the offense can move consistently, or whether we can compete should the game turn into a shootout. This team can play with any college football team there is, and beat them soundly. Tuberville said: "We will win a national championship, you can write that down." Well, this is the team that can logically do it. They have come out prepared to play every game thus far, and have looked exceptionally sharp in playing those games. And yes, another thing I am not worrying about is whether or not Tuberville will lay an egg. I think this team is on a mission for him.

If this is all we can complain about, Heck, feel very good about it. :yes:

111860[/snapback]

Well said. THIS is a special team on a mission. I would not doubt their ability to accomplish that mission.

ONE game at a time...... :au:

I don't think Arkansas' second half brief resurgence was just a case of us "calling the dogs off". We may have relaxed a little after half-time, but Arkansas has a dangerous offense and did make some half-time adjustments. And it's hard to maintain the intensity we had during the first two quarters. Still, I think the Hogs' second score helped rekindle our fire. For the sake of our defensive rankings, I wish we could have held them to 7-10 points.

It's hard for any voter-coach, SID, or sportswriter--to see every game every Saturday, especially if they have their own game to coach or cover. So sometimes they have little but margin of victory to go by. I also think, however, that most of them know that the difference between a 4-touchdown MoV and a 7 touchdown MoV is marginal--it usually just means some head coach is choosing to taking a chance on his starters getting injured vs. playing his bench. [i'm glad we didn't pull Jason, Carnell, and Ronnie much earlier, but admit I was just begininng to worry about injuries to them by the 4th quarter.]

I think there is a lot to be said for bias, also. Voters are just used to thinking of teams like USC, Oklahoma, Miami (and Fla. St., Ohio State, Texas, etc. when they're undefeated) as national contenders and are more likely to lean toward them than teams like Auburn, Virginia, Purdue, etc. that aren't seen in that catagory as often. I'm hoping (and just beginning to let myself believe a little) that CTT is going to keep us in that upper echelon on a regular enough basis that voters will develop an tendency to look at us that way (ie, always one of the top)as well.

Lee Corso said that we were the number 1 team in the USA right now because of playing in the SEC. With ALOT of football yet to be played, I can't understand why the undefeated SEC Champion would not get a shot at the national title. You are talking about team that would have beaten 4 TOP 10 teams out of 12 games in the season. I agree with JT, we need to not give up these silly TD's late in the game like we did yesterday and against MSU earlier in the year. We KILLED the HOGS, but 38-14 looks better than 38-20 to a voter that didn't watch the game.

Archived