Best in the East?

quietfan

So how does everyone rate the SEC East now?

Tennessee was not impressive at Ole Miss, but they still hold all the tie-breakers.

Georgia is still good, but lost to Tennessee.

Is Florida out of it, mathematically? How 'bout South Carolina?

Who WILL go to Atlanta? Who SHOULD go to Atlanta?

Georgia probably SHOULD go because I think they are a better overall team than Tennessee, but on October 9, 2004, Tennessee was the better team and they have earned the front-runner's seat.

South Carolina will not beat Florida in Gainesville, but I expect them to give the Vols a hell of a game in Columbia.

If Tennessee can get by Alabama and the Gamecocks, the East is done...the Vols will not lose to either of Vanderbilt or Kentucky.

tennessee is going to go. i don't know if the ut game was a fluke by uga or if that's just uga. uf is probably going to be mad at the end of the year if they beat uga and sc (which i think they will) b/c that means the refs costs them a shot at atlanta.

Well, let me put it this way. I believe UGA is much better then UT. I really do but sadly, UT beat UGA.

Reminds me of UT/UGA in 2001 with Greene as a freshamn. He went into UT and beat them at their own place. UGA won the game but IMO UT was far and away the better team.

I said this before the year and I still stand by it. The "best team" rarely wins the SEC. The team that gets the breaks, just wins, and has a smart coach will win the SEC.

UT deserves to go if they do win out.

Well, let me put it this way. I believe UGA is much better then UT. I really do but sadly, UT beat UGA.

Reminds me of UT/UGA in 2001 with Greene as a freshamn. He went into UT and beat them at their own place. UGA won the game but IMO UT was far and away the better team.

I said this before the year and I still stand by it. The "best team" rarely wins the SEC. The team that gets the breaks, just wins, and has a smart coach will win the SEC.

112059[/snapback]

Why sadly...I loved it. :poke::D

Georgia is the best team in the East. I think they are a better all around team than UT is, but on the day they played they weren't and that has given UT the advantage in the East.

112059[/snapback]

Why sadly...I loved it. :poke::D

112078[/snapback]

:moon::moon:

UT has proven, thus far, that they ARE the best team in the East. If it is not settled on the field, why play the game? :)

UT has proven, thus far, that they ARE the best team in the East. If it is not settled on the field, why play the game? :)

112093[/snapback]

That theory is still quite muddy. Ole Miss came within a drive of beating UT. UGA came within a drive of beating UT. Does that mean OM would automatically come within a drive of UGA OR vice-versa?

Not muddy at all. UT beat uga. UT beat old miss. UT beat the Gators too!

THAT is what a good team is supposed to do.....Win!

So your basic analysis is if Team A beats Team B

They are better?

112106[/snapback]

You got a better way of analyzing than the scoreboard? OMG. Please tell me you're not an AP voter.

They are better?

112106[/snapback]

You got a better way of analyzing than the scoreboard? OMG. Please tell me you're not an AP voter.

112129[/snapback]

So if an 0-9 team beats a 9-0 team, they previously defeated team is ahead of the previoulsy undefeated team?

Woah, thank goodness you aren't either.

Let me add a little fuel to this fire. Good teams are always ready to play. A 9-0 team that is a bonafide great team will not let a 0-9 team beat them. (I'm using SLs example) Good teams are not on a roller coaster, good one week and sloppy the next. They come to play every week, and go out and beat an inferior team. I believe there are 5 good teams in the SEC this year. UGA, UT, UF, LSU, and of course my dear Auburn Tigers. So far, the best team is AU. They have been able to be ready for each opponent and have beaten them. That's not to say they wont lose this weekend to UK. I don't see a lot of difference in the other 4 teams. If they were to play ten times, IMO, they would split wins and losses.

And one more thing to SL. Can't you guys get control of that damned dog. Great picture of him biting the flag. You know Robert Baker is still having nightmares about him.

Let me add a little fuel to this fire.  Good teams are always ready to play.  A 9-0 team that is a bonafide great team will not let a 0-9 team beat them.  (I'm using SLs example)  Good teams are not on a roller coaster, good one week and sloppy the next.  They come to play every week, and go out and beat an inferior team.  I believe there are 5 good teams in the SEC this year. 

So USC and LSU (who lost to teams with 6 losses and 5 losses) were not really "good" teams?

Was Florida better then LSU last year? What about California over USC?

They are better?

112106[/snapback]

112129[/snapback]

So if an 0-9 team beats a 9-0 team, they previously defeated team is ahead of the previoulsy undefeated team?

Woah, thank goodness you aren't either.

112132[/snapback]

As long as we're talking hypothetical, ... if an 0-9 team (say Fresno St, after losing to SC, BYU, Purdue, Colorado, ND, Louisville, Wisconsin, AU & Miami) were to beat a 9-0 team (say uat, after winning against Utah St, Miss, W. Carolina, Kentucky, S. Miss, Vandy, Miss St, Tulane & UAB, ... wait, I mean UCF, ... no, I mean Arky St) then yes, I'd have to give the nod to the 0-9 team.

Whatever. When Team A wins head-to-head against Team B, I always find it hard to think that Team B is "better."

Let's talk specifics: In 2001, before 11-0 Nebraska traveled to play 8-2 Colorado, who was the better team? (CU stomped UN by 62-36.) Before 8-3 LSU that year met 10-1 UT in the SECCG, who was the better team? (LSU won handily 31-20.) Before 11-0 Oklahoma took on 10-3 K-State in last year's Big XII CG, who was the better team? (KSU punked OU by 4 TDs 35-7.) Some of the sportswriters then were already hailing OU as the "greatest team in college football history."

Don't get all wrapped up in won-loss records nor poll rankings (aka sportswriter opinions.) They aren't always the best determinant of which team is better ... unlike a head-to-head matchup. :D

As long as we're talking hypothetical, ... if an 0-9 team (say Fresno St, after losing to SC, BYU, Purdue, Colorado, ND, Louisville, Wisconsin, AU & Miami) were to beat a 9-0 team (say uat, after winning against Utah St, Miss, W. Carolina, Kentucky, S. Miss, Vandy, Miss St, Tulane & UAB, ... wait, I mean UCF, ... no, I mean Arky St) then yes, I'd have to give the nod to the 0-9 team. 

Are you being really serious though? I know you aren't and it states my point perfectly.

LSU was better then UF last year....but lost.

USC was better then California last year....but lost.

The best team does not always win.

I tend to agree with SouthLink. GA was sky high for the LSU game. After such a big emotional game they had a let down against Tennessee. They were not as focused and did not play with the emotion they displayed against LSU. That's typical in college football. That's why no one wants to play big games back to back. I doubt anyone would want to play LSU and TN in consecutive weeks. If GA would have played TN after playing a lessor opponent I believe the outcome would have been different.

I think that's one reason why AU has a great chance to go undefeated because they have a favorable schedule. AU has played weak teams before they played their big games.

Miss St before LSU

Citadel before TN

LA Tech before AR

Not to take away from their success. I think they are the best team in the conference. Best team in the conference with a favorable schedule hopefully means AU (Or GA) will make it to the Orange Bowl and represent the SEC well.

Are you being really serious though? I know you aren't and it states my point perfectly.

112234[/snapback]

I'm being perfectly serious. You completely ignored the rest of my post. The team that wins head-to-head is the better team. On any given Saturday & stuff. How hard is this to understand?

LSU was not the better team when they lost to UF last year.

SC was not the better team when they lost to Cal last year.

I'm curious as to how you interpret this year's SC/Cal contest. I suppose you're going to say that Cal was the better team because they dominated the stats. Right? Sorry, I'm not buying it. SC was the better team this year.

SLink, are you related to UT LB Kevin Burnett by any chance? :P

112234[/snapback]

I'm being perfectly serious. You completely ignored the rest of my post. The team that wins head-to-head is the better team. On any given Saturday & stuff. How hard is this to understand?

LSU was not the better team when they lost to UF last year.

SC was not the better team when they lost to Cal last year.

I'm curious as to how you interpret this year's SC/Cal contest. I suppose you're going to say that Cal was the better team because they dominated the stats. Right? Sorry, I'm not buying it. SC was the better team this year.

SLink, are you related to UT LB Kevin Burnett by any chance? :P

112244[/snapback]

If an undefeated Auburn found a way to lose to a 6-4 bama team this year, no way in hell you would say that bama is a better team.

If an undefeated Auburn found a way to lose to a 6-4 bama team this year, no way in hell you would say that bama is a better team.

112247[/snapback]

Too easy. No way in he!! do I say uat is better than AU in anything. Thanks for stopping by. :D

112247[/snapback]

Too easy. No way in he!! do I say uat is better than AU in anything. Thanks for stopping by. :D

112248[/snapback]

Ahhh. I worded it wrong. You would say that Auburn was not the better team if bama won? Really, I don't care either way. You are just a great person to be arguementive with, and I enjoy the late night posting arguements we get into when everyone is sleeping. :D:D

112247[/snapback]

Exactly. He gets the point as well. Saying that UF was the better team that day has nothing to do with the point of the overall season, which we are talking about.

Archived