Why Is Football #1???

AUesquire

Like a lot of you, I played football in high school but no further than that. I like to think I was pretty good but in reality, I probably sucked. In fact, baseball was my best sport and is what I played far more than anything else. But why is football the first love of the majority of fans in the south?

I have to admit, some folks live for hunting, fishing, shopping :P etc, but AU football has always been my real passion. I tell my wife not to plan anything on football weekends and if I had my way, I'd be camped out for the game no later than Thursday. What makes 87,000 people cram into a stadium and a few million more watch on TV and listen on the radio? A few things for me would be:

1. The length and setup of the football schedule. It's one game per week. Not the 162 game pro baseball schedule with a game every night or an 82 game basketball schedule. You have all week to analyze last week's game and break down the upcoming opponent.

2. Each game is an event. Despite the fact that the drive is usually long, the day is hot, traffic is miserable and you'll be crammed in a hard seat with 87,000 others...I love every minute of it. There's a tailgate party going on every 20 feet and the smell of the grill alone is enough to make me :big:

3. Rivalries. You will play your rival ONE TIME each year. Not 19 regular season games and then 7 playoff games. If you win that one game...bragging rights. If not... :puke:

4. :au: Family. For lack of a better term, I like being among thousands of folks that have the same interest and passion as I do...Auburn football. I want to high-five and holler War Eagle with AU fans when we win and get some AU love when we don't.

Why is football so high on your list?

Like a lot of you, I played football in high school but no further than that.  I like to think I was pretty good but in reality, I probably sucked.  In fact, baseball was my best sport and is what I played far more than anything else.  But why is football the first love of the majority of fans in the south?

I have to admit, some folks live for hunting, fishing, shopping :P etc, but AU football has always been my real passion.  I tell my wife not to plan anything on football weekends and if I had my way, I'd be camped out for the game no later than Thursday.  What makes 87,000 people cram into a stadium and a few million more watch on TV and listen on the radio?  A few things for me would be:

1. The length and setup of the football schedule.  It's one game per week.  Not the 162 game pro baseball schedule with a game every night or an 82 game basketball schedule.  You have all week to analyze last week's game and break down the upcoming opponent.

2.  Each game is an event.  Despite the fact that the drive is usually long, the day is hot, traffic is miserable and you'll be crammed in a hard seat with 87,000 others...I love every minute of it.  There's a tailgate party going on every 20 feet and the smell of the grill alone is enough to make me :big:

3.  Rivalries.  You will play your rival ONE TIME each year.  Not 19 regular season games and then 7 playoff games.  If you win that one game...bragging rights.  If not... :puke:

4.  :au: Family.  For lack of a better term, I like being among thousands of folks that have the same interest and passion as I do...Auburn football.  I want to high-five and holler War Eagle with AU fans when we win and get some AU love when we don't. 

Why is football so high on your list?

112423[/snapback]

Great big ditto here.

NOT football....A U B U R N Football ! ! !

AU football is LIFE. Everything else is just details! (Many moons ago, I had a t-shirt with that slogan. Got it at J & M in about '84 I think) :D

Good post esquire. I have no idea what makes me love the (AU Game) so much! As a matter of fact, my wife and I attended a "termite"game last weekend to watch a nephew play. Thankfully, Auburn had an afternoon game and I was able to do both. As we watched the game, I was thinking ...how in the world am I going to be able to give up Auburn games in order to watch my own son participate...............Oh the choices that we must make! :no:

Archived