New DC Named: Brian Van Gorder

AUSportTalk

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that. But, living here Atlanta, I can tell you that people weren't happy with the defense. People just wanted change. Its not that he was terrible, but they felt he was mediocre at the NFL level to a lot of people. Truthfully, he needed better pieces. People understood that (rational ones at least), however, you can't fire all the players soooo...

The ONLY negative thing I read about him is he can be a little too fiery(which is exactly what Auburn needs right now). Sometimes that doesn't go over so well in the pros. These guys are making 5X as much as the coach, and get tired of someone staying on them. Maybe he was just wanting to get back in the college game.

I understand that. But, living here Atlanta, I can tell you that people weren't happy with the defense. People just wanted change. Its not that he was terrible, but he felt mediocre at the NFL level to a lot of people. Truthfully, he needed better pieces. People understood that (rational ones at least), however, you can't fire all the players soooo...

I guess when you're competing against an offense like the Saints, it's tough for any defense to shine.

I follow the falcons closely, and I can tell you this is not a big blow for them. He was probably going to be let go, OC Mike Mularky will definitely be let go...BVG did the best he could with the pieces he had in Atlanta. His secondaries were not very talented and his d lines usually struggled to get a consistent pass rush, so his hands were tied in alot of respects. His run defenses were ALWAYS stout, however, and LB play (his specialty) was the strength of the teams he coached.

I think its also unfair for the Falcons to want a change in defensive leadership when it is obvious the ownership isn't giving the defense fair attention. All of the big name moves they have made have been to improve the offense. So I  think we got the steal of the century.

I understand that. But, living here Atlanta, I can tell you that people weren't happy with the defense. People just wanted change. Its not that he was terrible, but he felt mediocre at the NFL level to a lot of people. Truthfully, he needed better pieces. People understood that (rational ones at least), however, you can't fire all the players soooo...

I guess when you're competing against an offense like the Saints, it's tough for any defense to shine.

Exactly. Most of the time, the defense played well. In my opinion, the offense did not have enough consistency to take pressure off of a defense that was more 'bend but don't break'.

I think its also unfair for the Falcons to want a change in defensive leadership when it is obvious the ownership isn't giving the defense fair attention. All of the big name moves they have made have been to improve the offense. So I  think we got the steal of the century.

Not quite true. Last year, was the first draft that was geared toward the offense. The previous two or three drafts were geared toward defense. Plus, they spent big money on Dunta Robinson and Ray Edwards. They just haven't gotten a lot of real impact out of those guys.

What about when Mike Smith showed up and they went and got Turner, Gonzalez, and Ryan? The highest level defensive draft prospects they ever had was Peria Jerry.

Exceptional hire.  CGC had a plan all along.  Shame on you doubters.

Welcome to the family, Coach Van Gorder.

:we:

What about when Mike Smith showed up and they went and got Turner, Gonzalez, and Ryan? The highest level defensive draft prospects they ever had was Peria Jerry.

That was four years ago. Ever since then it has been defense. Like you mentioned, Jerry, but also Sean Witherspoon, William Moore, Thomas Decoud, Corey Peters, Robert James, Akeem Dent, Chris Owens, Dominique Franks, Vance Walker, Laurence Sidbury, Kroy Biermann among others. Whether or not they produced is another matter, but I promise you they have not really spent money on offensive weapons other than this past draft and Smith's first year.

Important to remember that Falcons had about EIGHT new starters on defense just two yrs ago. Drafting OM DT Jerry w/first rd pick has been a bust so far, as has FA CB Dunta Robinson. Worst problem was failure of pass-rush against any good OL w/good QB. Repeated DE draft picks have not been physical enough. We know that several colleges wanted him so the negotiating must have been going on for awhile??

I follow the falcons closely, and I can tell you this is not a big blow for them. He was probably going to be let go, OC Mike Mularky will definitely be let go...BVG did the best he could with the pieces he had in Atlanta. His secondaries were not very talented and his d lines usually struggled to get a consistent pass rush, so his hands were tied in alot of respects. His run defenses were ALWAYS stout, however, and LB play (his specialty) was the strength of the teams he coached.

The ATL D got better under BVG the problems with ATL are lack of playmakers--which points bad GMing not coaching.

I know he was hurt much, but Ray Edwards says hello!

Heck, the Atlanta defense put up more points ,2, in that playoff game than the Atlanta offense. Holding the Giants to 24 points gave Atlanta every chance to win that game. The defense wasn't the problem as most Atlanta fans know.

I think this is a much better move than when CGC hired Coach Malzhan. I am sure that CGC & Jay Jacobs have given CBVG a very attractive contract that will keep CBVG on staff for 3 or more years. I have to say that CGC knows well that he must surround himself with the best of the best in order for Auburn to remain an elite program and the best in the state of Alabama!

Home run hire???  How about a down by 3 runs, 2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th inning, 7th game of the world series, grand slam hire??  

That's going a bit far, I think.

Excellent hire, and the long wait is explained by the fact that he was only recently freed up by the Falcons losing in the 1st round yesterday.  

I'm more concerned about the OC from a recruiting standpoint, though, and this makes me wonder if Coach Chizik might be waiting on another NFL coach to take that job, and the lack of urgency is once again due to the "we get him when his team bows out" factor.  Chizik could not have known when the Falcons would be eliminated, thereby freeing up Coach Van Gorder, which means that he must have been comfortable with the position being vacant through the Super Bowl as a "worst" case scenario.  This makes one wonder what Chizik's timeline is for the OC position as well.  I feel a severe sense of urgency given our needs and recruiting standing (particularly in numbers) as of today for this year's class, but it's entirely possible that Chizik simply does not share that sense of urgency, and is merely waiting on circumstances to free up the Coach that he already has lined up for the job.  

really?  All those words and not one of them positive about the job CGC just did for AU.  Geez, some people.

Two of the words were extremely positive, actually, and the entire sentence was pretty positive about the reason that it took as long as it did for the hiring to be made official.  I'm worried about the OC timeline, not quality, and positive on the chosen DC hire.  I don't think I came off as negative about our new DC in that post. 

Home run hire???  How about a down by 3 runs, 2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th inning, 7th game of the world series, grand slam hire??  

That's going a bit far, I think.

Excellent hire, and the long wait is explained by the fact that he was only recently freed up by the Falcons losing in the 1st round yesterday.  

I'm more concerned about the OC from a recruiting standpoint, though, and this makes me wonder if Coach Chizik might be waiting on another NFL coach to take that job, and the lack of urgency is once again due to the "we get him when his team bows out" factor.  Chizik could not have known when the Falcons would be eliminated, thereby freeing up Coach Van Gorder, which means that he must have been comfortable with the position being vacant through the Super Bowl as a "worst" case scenario.  This makes one wonder what Chizik's timeline is for the OC position as well.  I feel a severe sense of urgency given our needs and recruiting standing (particularly in numbers) as of today for this year's class, but it's entirely possible that Chizik simply does not share that sense of urgency, and is merely waiting on circumstances to free up the Coach that he already has lined up for the job.  

really?  All those words and not one of them positive about the job CGC just did for AU.  Geez, some people.

Yea he did. And Im with chiz i dont feel the major urgency. Good things take time, and in the long run if he needs to wait for the hire then by all means wait.

you're correvct, my apologies.  All those words and two of them positive.

Maybe he is an analyzer?  :dunno:

I've been accused of putting the anal in analyzer.  I'm not negative, I'm just inclined to say "Great!  Good job!  Next task."  Next task is the OC, and it's the one I'm more concerned about, that's all.

I'll try to work on being more pithy.

My kingdom for a multiquote capability! 

Archived