New DC Named: Brian Van Gorder

AUSportTalk

To all those bammers and falconites that say he was fired......this was from the AJC.

“I’m not going to comment on that position at this point in time,” Smith said. “It’s something that just came about. We’ll go through the due process of getting the best defensive coordinator for our football team.” 

Mike as asked about calling jack del rio for DC.

Obviously he wanted to come to auburn

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all those bammers and falconites that say he was fired......this was from the AJC.

“I’m not going to comment on that position at this point in time,” Smith said. “It’s something that just came about. We’ll go through the due process of getting the best defensive coordinator for our football team.” 

Stop being sensitive. Him being fired and wanting to come to Auburn are not mutually exclusive things. As a Falcon fan, I can tell you the sentiment concerning him IMMEDIATELY after the game is he is and should not be retained. People needed somebody to be the scapegoat. That's why the assumption is he was 'fired', just like here at Auburn. We pretty much know Roof was let go, though it wasn't reported that way. Still, a great hire! So don't worry about the circumstances that brought him here.

Stop being sensitive. Him being fired and wanting to come to Auburn are not mutually exclusive things. As a Falcon fan, I can tell you the sentiment concerning him IMMEDIATELY after the game is he is and should not be retained. People needed somebody to be the scapegoat. That's why the assumption is he was 'fired', just like here at Auburn. We pretty much know Roof was let go, though it wasn't reported that way. Still, a great hire! So don't worry about the circumstances that brought him here.

No way the Falcons were going to fire the DC with the #6 Rushing Defense and the #12 Overall Defense in the League. 

No way the Falcons were going to fire the DC with the #6 Rushing Defense and the #12 Overall Defense in the League. 

Whether they were, or not, is beyond the point. The point is everyone was unhappy with the defense (I personally felt that most losses were not the defense's fault). Everyday, I found myself defending the defense and pointing out other reasons for the Falcons losses. But, with the outcry against the defense and the changes that have to be made in the wake of the blowout losses to The Giants, The Saints & The Packers to end last year, its easy for everyone to assume he was encouraged to leave. Most of you all are being too rational in your thought process (I happen to agree on your points), but I drive for a living in Atlanta. I listen to sports talk for, at least, 5 hrs/day and the defense is always a major topic. People wanted change and fans aren't rational.

The Saints have been blowing out everybody lately ..not just ATL. Bvg would have been back if he wanted. And head coach Mike Smith has just as much to blamed for. He goes for it on 4th down twice and fails, the GM gives away half their picks when they so desperately needed another LB and some secondary depth, plus Abraham was not healthy this year. Yet BVG still had them top 15 in the league....but check his collegiate resume, he has the knowledge to turn this thing around regardless if he was fired/quit/etc.

The Saints have been blowing out everybody lately ..not just ATL. Bvg would have been back if he wanted. And head coach Mike Smith has just as much to blamed for. He goes for it on 4th down twice and fails, the GM gives away half their picks when they so desperately needed another LB and some secondary depth, plus Abraham was not healthy this year. Yet BVG still had them top 15 in the league....but check his collegiate resume, he has the knowledge to turn this thing around regardless if he was fired/quit/etc.

Exactly. I, actually, agree with you. I'm still not convinced he wasn't asked to leave, but I don't care. Him being hired as dc at Auburn has me extremely excited. I don't care how he got hear. I was simply trying to point out that people are not hating on Auburn by thinking he was fired. It was/ is a popular perspective.

Im just seeing the posts about CVG possibly being fired. I dont know if its true or not. I dont think so because as in my post yesterday? or day before and as I posted SEVERAL weeks ago, my source / friend told me about the possibility of him coming to Auburn and it has been known by the Falcons for several weeks he might be leaving. Therefore it had nothing to do with their last game. End of story.

BUT- if you are unsure of the hire or if your turd friends want to persist, just say so what? The Dolphins were on the verge of firing their coach, lil nick satan, and as much as i hate to admit, he's done a pretty solid job since coming back to the college ranks. Bam..

You're Welcome.

I'm soaked! This is HUGE! Chizik proves once again he can get the job done! War Damn Eagle!

You're soaked?

:laugh: And you still have that mesmerizing sig.  :laugh::thumbsup:

FWIW, I spoke to a long time UGA fan/friend of mine here in Atlanta and he said CBVG was the best he's ever seen at making half-time changes.  Said he always had an answer and could shift game plans on a dime.

I bet back in 82' his mustache could throw a pigskin a quarter mile. This guy is awesome.

FWIW, I spoke to a long time UGA fan/friend of mine here in Atlanta and he said CBVG was the best he's ever seen at making half-time changes.  Said he always had an answer and could shift game plans on a dime.

Oddly enough I would have  been tempted to say that about Roof.  I said for two years that Roof SUCKED at game planning but he was like some kind of halftime adjustment rainman.  If we just got a DC who can gameplay and make adjustments like roof then I'll be in heaven next season.

Archived