New DC Named: Brian Van Gorder

AUSportTalk

Has anyone asked yet how on earth we pulled what looks to be a successful NFL DC back into the college ranks?

I checked out his numbers while he was at UGA, and every year but his first he put up a top ten defense in total scoring (and he still one "Assistant of the Year" in that first year). He also had the Falcons defense on a steady climb while he was there.

$180,000--works everytime...UGA fans hate it even worse now because Mark Richt was the bagman.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home run hire???  How about a down by 3 runs, 2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th inning, 7th game of the world series, grand slam hire??  

That's going a bit far, I think.

Excellent hire, and the long wait is explained by the fact that he was only recently freed up by the Falcons losing in the 1st round yesterday.  

I'm more concerned about the OC from a recruiting standpoint, though, and this makes me wonder if Coach Chizik might be waiting on another NFL coach to take that job, and the lack of urgency is once again due to the "we get him when his team bows out" factor.  Chizik could not have known when the Falcons would be eliminated, thereby freeing up Coach Van Gorder, which means that he must have been comfortable with the position being vacant through the Super Bowl as a "worst" case scenario.  This makes one wonder what Chizik's timeline is for the OC position as well.  I feel a severe sense of urgency given our needs and recruiting standing (particularly in numbers) as of today for this year's class, but it's entirely possible that Chizik simply does not share that sense of urgency, and is merely waiting on circumstances to free up the Coach that he already has lined up for the job.  

Has anyone asked yet how on earth we pulled what looks to be a successful NFL DC back into the college ranks?

I checked out his numbers while he was at UGA, and every year but his first he put up a top ten defense in total scoring (and he still one "Assistant of the Year" in that first year). He also had the Falcons defense on a steady climb while he was there.

$180,000--works everytime...UGA fans hate it even worse now because Mark Richt was the bagman.

??????

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, THE SKY IS FALLING... Nope, wait a minute guys.. it's just an acron... sorry...  :happydance:     GREAT HIRE   ...   :hellyeah::we: :we: :wedance:

??????

Remember Cam Newton? and the $180,000 farce? and the bagman fantasy? It's a joke.

So I guess we miss out on Stoop, Zook, RS, and had to settle for our 4th option?  ;)

It's a shame really. Apparently Wade Christopher, Chuck Norris, and the Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World had other plans....

I'm ecstatic! WDE to CVG!!! Welcome home!  :party:

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34288353

Good read.  I love how CGC says that he wanted CBVG (is that the official abbreviation now?) from the beginning!  This is big time.  As far as his recruiting ability, coming from a fairly successful NFL is a recruiting boost in itself.  We also still have 3 top recruiters on staff.  Things will pick up from here. 

Now we announce a good OC hire and get rolling!

Guest LIMESTONETIGER

From an AJC article announcing Van Gorder's departure:

“I’m very excited to have a coach like Brian VanGorder join our staff at Auburn,†said Auburn coach Gene Chizik. â€From the beginning of this process, I had one person in mind, and that was Brian. “He has achieved success at every level, both professionally and collegiately, which is a testament to his ability as a coach. He has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, has won a Broyles Award at the college level, and understands what it takes to succeed in the Southeastern Conference. We’re pleased to welcome Brian and his family to Auburn.â€

You guys still think Coach Chizik has class? Way to go coach. There are recruits second guessing their commitments.

I think this had more to do with it being the day after the falcons final game as opposed to the day of the national championship

I don't, I think it has more to do with the announcement running across the ESPN ticker all day and all night long while the BCSNC is in action.  Will be a constant reminder to all the recruits out there, and will keep AU on their mind's. :bananadance:

You guys still think Coach Chizik has class? Way to go coach. There are recruits second guessing their commitments.

I think this had more to do with it being the day after the falcons final game as opposed to the day of the national championship

I don't, I think it has more to do with the announcement running across the ESPN ticker all day and all night long while the BCSNC is in action.  Will be a constant reminder to all the recruits out there, and will keep AU on their mind's. :bananadance:

I love the timing!!!!

For those that always doubted Phillip Marshall, he has been saying for a while now he felt like Chizik was going after someone with NFL experience.

So I guess we miss out on Stoop, Zook, RS, and had to settle for our 4th option?  ;)

This has been an open secret with The Falcons for about a month. So I dont think he was a " 4th option" per your

turdesque opinion.

Archived