New DC Named: Brian Van Gorder

AUSportTalk

I would like to point out that this hire would have never happened under Tubs, not necessarily because Van Gorder would have turned us down, but because it never would have occurred to Tubs to ask.  Chizik has much higher expectations for our program than Tubs ever dreamed of.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Bama as much as the next guy, but Julio Jones is legit.  If you can't admit that, you have your head in the sand.

I might have embellished a little. Julio is a legit wr but he isn't worth anywhere near what they gave up for him in the draft.

Home run hire???  How about a down by 3 runs, 2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th inning, 7th game of the world series, grand slam hire??  

That's going a bit far, I think.

Excellent hire, and the long wait is explained by the fact that he was only recently freed up by the Falcons losing in the 1st round yesterday.  

I'm more concerned about the OC from a recruiting standpoint, though, and this makes me wonder if Coach Chizik might be waiting on another NFL coach to take that job, and the lack of urgency is once again due to the "we get him when his team bows out" factor.  Chizik could not have known when the Falcons would be eliminated, thereby freeing up Coach Van Gorder, which means that he must have been comfortable with the position being vacant through the Super Bowl as a "worst" case scenario.  This makes one wonder what Chizik's timeline is for the OC position as well.  I feel a severe sense of urgency given our needs and recruiting standing (particularly in numbers) as of today for this year's class, but it's entirely possible that Chizik simply does not share that sense of urgency, and is merely waiting on circumstances to free up the Coach that he already has lined up for the job.  

really?  All those words and not one of them positive about the job CGC just did for AU.  Geez, some people.

Kind of hard to field a good defense when you trade all your draft picks for an overrated wr. When the Falcons didn't do that they were using all their high draft choices for players on the other offensive players. BVG is a 715 type of home run hire and anyone who says other wise is a mouth breathing, mullet sporting, wife beater wearing bammer.

I don't like Bama as much as the next guy, but Julio Jones is legit.  If you can't admit that, you have your head in the sand.

I played against him. He got shut down by a DB with a broken hand on pain killers.  The threat of a run game is what makes him good.

From an AJC article announcing Van Gorder's departure:

“I’m very excited to have a coach like Brian VanGorder join our staff at Auburn,” said Auburn coach Gene Chizik. ”From the beginning of this process, I had one person in mind, and that was Brian. “He has achieved success at every level, both professionally and collegiately, which is a testament to his ability as a coach. He has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, has won a Broyles Award at the college level, and understands what it takes to succeed in the Southeastern Conference. We’re pleased to welcome Brian and his family to Auburn.”

We have a head coach that marches to the beat of his own drum. He works on his schedule and nobody else's. We couldn't ask for a better man to lead this program. Oh, and he is a pretty doggone good coach too! Well done on the hire Coach Chiz. You've done it again! WDE!!!!!!!

So I guess we miss out on Stoop, Zook, RS, and had to settle for our 4th option?  ;)

This has been an open secret with The Falcons for about a month. So I dont think he was a " 4th option" per your

turdesque opinion.

Sorry I missed Mr Winky..I apologize if it was intended not to be a turdesque remark.

Yes, I was being sarcastic...its cool.  WDE GCG GREAT HIRE!

The Doc is sorry for doubting CGC. I am sure that the OC will be coming on board soon. CGC renewed my faith in CGCs ability to hire the best coach for the job.  I am sure CGC will walk up to the plate again and hit another grand-slam deep into the center field bleachers!

Coach Chizik has been and will continue to be close to the vest, why go public and give other teams a chance to knock you off the mountain. The next hire will be as big if not bigger, one post hit this nail on the head, my guess no one has even come close to the OC will be. He has not let us down yet and he want let us down in the future. Remember his quote  "ALL IN", he is truly an Auburn Man.

You guys still think Coach Chizik has class? Way to go coach. There are recruits second guessing their commitments.

NUKE FODDER???

:zapbama:   :zapbama:    :zapbama:     

“I’m very excited to have a coach like Brian VanGorder join our staff at Auburn,” said Auburn coach Gene Chizik. ”From the beginning of this process, I had one person in mind, and that was Brian. “He has achieved success at every level, both professionally and collegiately, which is a testament to his ability as a coach. He has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, has won a Broyles Award at the college level, and understands what it takes to succeed in the Southeastern Conference. We’re pleased to welcome Brian and his family to Auburn.”

We have a head coach that marches to the beat of his own drum. He works on his schedule and nobody else's. We couldn't ask for a better man to lead this program. Oh, and he is a pretty doggone good coach too! Well done on the hire Coach Chiz. You've done it again! WDE!!!!!!!

geeshhhhh, I hate it when I have to agree with you. EXACTLY right though, he did exactly what he needed to do without regard to the squealing masses. As it should be. WDE, CGC!!!!! Job well done.

geeshhhhh, I hate it when I have to agree with you. EXACTLY right though, he did exactly what he needed to do without regard to the squealing masses. As it should be. WDE, CGC!!!!! Job well done.

We are more alike than you think! I know that kills you!  :laugh::tease:

Savorytiger,

Read these boards PLEASE!  AU64 gets it. I'm not going over all these boards or explaining myself.  But, I will take this time to say I hope the top defensive recruits start looking our way.  I don't know if anyone will change their mind. But I DO believe that we just got tougher because if they do what is asked, they have a greater chance of getting to the next level.  I DO believe that we just hired a gamechanger for the Eddie Goldman sweepstakes.  Wouldn't it be funny if Jordan Jenkins? changed his decision to Auburn today?  I can't wait to see us play again. I hope we whip Alabama.  

WAR EAGLE!!

Read what boards?  All I meant to do was to explain why AUIE81 responded the way he did to your initial post.  Walker77 just responded the same way :P.

I agree that BVG is a fantastic hire.  Getting a successful NFL DC with SEC DC experience is mindblowing.

Home run hire???  How about a down by 3 runs, 2 outs, full count, bottom of the 9th inning, 7th game of the world series, grand slam hire??  

Excellent hire, and the long wait is explained by the fact that he was only recently freed up by the Falcons losing in the 1st round yesterday.  

I'm more concerned about the OC from a recruiting standpoint, though, and this makes me wonder if Coach Chizik might be waiting on another NFL coach to take that job, and the lack of urgency is once again due to the "we get him when his team bows out" factor.  Chizik could not have known when the Falcons would be eliminated, thereby freeing up Coach Van Gorder, which means that he must have been comfortable with the position being vacant through the Super Bowl as a "worst" case scenario.  This makes one wonder what Chizik's timeline is for the OC position as well.  I feel a severe sense of urgency given our needs and recruiting standing (particularly in numbers) as of today for this year's class, but it's entirely possible that Chizik simply does not share that sense of urgency, and is merely waiting on circumstances to free up the Coach that he already has lined up for the job.  

really?  All those words and not one of them positive about the job CGC just did for AU.  Geez, some people.

Yea he did. And Im with chiz i dont feel the major urgency. Good things take time, and in the long run if he needs to wait for the hire then by all means wait.

you're correvct, my apologies.  All those words and two of them positive.

Maybe he is an analyzer?  :dunno:

This is the best news I've had in a long while from Auburn.  Great job coach Chiz.  That guy is cool as a cucumber isn't he folks?  We were all freaking out, and he just went out there and got a guy better than anybody thought we could get.  That is the guy you want coaching your team in a tight game in the fourth quarter.  He has ice water in his veins!

Yeah but I don't listen to manilow(thx eff) wear pink shirts or clown shoes. I don't have a cat either.

Yeah but I don't wear pink shirts and clown shoes. I don't have a cat either.

:laugh:

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

“I’m very excited to have a coach like Brian VanGorder join our staff at Auburn,†said Auburn coach Gene Chizik. â€From the beginning of this process, I had one person in mind, and that was Brian. “He has achieved success at every level, both professionally and collegiately, which is a testament to his ability as a coach. He has been one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL, has won a Broyles Award at the college level, and understands what it takes to succeed in the Southeastern Conference. We’re pleased to welcome Brian and his family to Auburn.â€

Yeah but I don't wear pink shirts and clown shoes. I don't have a cat either.

Please say "or listen to Manilow."

Very impressive hire who can help soldify Georgia recruiting.

I think this will have an impact beyond GA recruiting. It will help with all defensive recruits. it is truely a great day for AU and CGC.

The only response I could probably come up with for this post is that Chizic has yet to let us down. Even when we question his motives, he has been pretty spot on with his decisions so far. Relax and enjoy the ride my friend.

You guys still think Coach Chizik has class? Way to go coach. There are recruits second guessing their commitments.

NUKE FODDER???

:zapbama:   :zapbama:    :zapbama:     

I think he meant kids that committed to other schools

but, but, but, the saints beat them twice this year.  how good could he actually be? :dunno:

ok, before i get blasted, i am just kidding!  This is one of the best delayed christmas gifts i have ever recieved! :party:

oh, yeah, and go saints  ;D

:wedance:

Archived