A note to fraternities from an alumnus

lukeduke

I understand that you guys want to wear the shirt and tie as tradition to the games. My question is, would it be possible to get an orange dress shirt? The white shirts really stand out from the alumni side and break up the solid orange everywhere else.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and along with that orange shirt, don't forget those navy polyester slacks and the cherry on top...a white belt and white shoes! :puke:

As an old frat boy myself, keep up the tradition of the shirt and tie, please!

WDE!

Jack

Why don't you frat boys just wear a backwards baseball cap, a t-shirt from the band party you threw last night, and a pair of sunglasses draped around your neck, maybe some short patagonia shorts, a five a clock shadow, with kinda long hair. Oh and don't forget to send a freshman in to save you seats so you can just sit where ever you damn well please, while I arrive 2 hours before kickoff and have to sit in the nosebleeds. 90% of my good friends are fratties but it is just ridiculous how they think a few greek letters on a tshirt give them the right to own a piece of the stadium. It pisses me off everygame. I really want to get a lot of independents together and steal all their seats one game, Just so they can understand how the other 1/2 (actually 3/4) lives.

Whew...it feels so good to vent...

I wish i could apologize to anyone i offended but as Rhett Butler said, "Frankly,......."

Why don't you  frat boys just wear a backwards baseball cap,  a t-shirt from the band party you threw last night,  and a pair of sunglasses draped around your neck, maybe some short patagonia shorts, a five a clock shadow, with kinda long hair.  Oh and don't forget to send a freshman in to save you seats so you can just sit where ever you damn well please, while I arrive 2 hours before kickoff and have to sit in the nosebleeds.  90% of my good friends are fratties but it is just ridiculous how they think a few greek letters on a tshirt give them the right to own a piece of the stadium.  It pisses me off everygame.  I really want to get a lot of independents together and steal all their seats one game, Just so they can understand how the other 1/2 (actually 3/4) lives. 

I wish i could apologize to anyone i offended but as Rhett Butler said, "Frankly,......."

112618[/snapback]

Actually you have to file that complaint with the University. The fraternities compete though signs and pep rallies and such for spirit points, which then allows them to chose certain blocks that the university reserves for them.

Actually you have to file that complaint with the University.  The fraternities compete though signs and pep rallies and such for spirit points, which then allows them to chose certain blocks that the university reserves for them.

112670[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the people that take up chunks of the regular student section, not the sections dedicated for that purpose. Saving a seat or 2 is ok, saving a row or 5 is not. Have some curteousy.

Actually you have to file that complaint with the University.  The fraternities compete though signs and pep rallies and such for spirit points, which then allows them to chose certain blocks that the university reserves for them.

112670[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the people that take up chunks of the regular student section, not the sections dedicated for that purpose. Saving a seat or 2 is ok, saving a row or 5 is not. Have some curteousy.

112677[/snapback]

When I did it we sat down around the 30 on the lower level. I can't remember exactly what all sections were reserved, its been while since I have seen the chart. But not all of them were down on that lower level near the cheerleaders. Some were scattered in other places. But I was gone for 3 years when my dad was sick, so they might have completly changed the seating charts.

Wow, you're the first Alumni I've heard who wants everyone wearing orange! Everyone I've spoken with is peeved because Tubbs came in and has made AU an Orange school, when traditionally it has been a Navy school.

I was a GDI in school and whenever possible, which was most of the time, I sat/stood in my assigned seat (section, row, seat #)...do the students still get a specific seat # when buying a season ticket? I do remember telling a few people, (sometimes Greek, sometimes not) who wanted to block seat where my seat was included to kindly go elsewhere, though.

The unanimity of color does look good on TV, though...I definitely noticed it Saturday. I can't think of too many stores that sell slightly burnt orange dress shirts, though. I'm more of a navy blue man myself and I would be a rebel and wear it regardless.

Let the frats have their fun and keep their ways. Their having pledges reserve their seats doesn't harm any of you in any way. Those guys love :au: just as much as any of you. They just happen to have an opportunity upon which they choose to capitalize. If I were in their shoes, I would do the exact same thing, as I'm sure many of you would.

BTW, I was an independent.

:au: WDE :au:

I was a GDI in school and whenever possible, which was most of the time, I sat/stood in my assigned seat (section, row, seat #)...do the students still get a specific seat # when buying a season ticket?

Nope. They swipe your student ID and you take whatever seats you can get within the student section.

Wow, you're the first Alumni I've heard who wants everyone wearing orange! Everyone I've spoken with is peeved because Tubbs came in and has made AU an Orange school,  when traditionally it has been a Navy school.

112749[/snapback]

Well, you might want to ask more people.

I am a recent Alum and I have been completely onboard with the orange thing. It make AU look better on TV and therefore helps recruiting. When something as simple as changing your shirt can have a positive effect on recruiting, you do it. Hands down. You do it.

Why don't you  frat boys just wear a backwards baseball cap,  a t-shirt from the band party you threw last night,  and a pair of sunglasses draped around your neck, maybe some short patagonia shorts, a five a clock shadow, with kinda long hair.  Oh and don't forget to send a freshman in to save you seats so you can just sit where ever you damn well please, while I arrive 2 hours before kickoff and have to sit in the nosebleeds.  90% of my good friends are fratties but it is just ridiculous how they think a few greek letters on a tshirt give them the right to own a piece of the stadium.  It pisses me off everygame.  I really want to get a lot of independents together and steal all their seats one game, Just so they can understand how the other 1/2 (actually 3/4) lives. 

112618[/snapback]

Last week, at the Arkansas game, a few friends and I got there really early and got decent seats. About 10 minutes before the game started about 40 frat guys (all drunk, I might add) came and stood ON TOP OF US. They didn't care at all. This one guy kept falling back and stepping on me. He turned around and said, "I'm gonna be stepping on you the whole time so I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm sorry." Wow. We were forced to leave and find new seats, which were up in the top section.

Alcohol + Fraternities ruined my game experience. At least I know where not to sit next time.

:au: A couple of years ago there were some freshman saving about three or four rows of seats for their frat bros. I happen to sit in "their" row with a friend or two without knowing it. Then we heard, "hey man, those seats are saved". We turned around and laughed and proceeded to enjoy the ballgame. Who the @#$$ do they think they are. At the time I was a senior and there is no way in hell I was going to move from those seats. :au:

I like the tradition of the Greeks dressing up for the game in a coat and tie. Something about it just says "Auburn" to me. It's been going on for so long, I wouldn't break that up for some recent orange shirt gimmick.

the university reserves block seating for fraternities. if you want your own block start a group, go to all the pep rallies, make signs to go on the stadium before every game, donate thousands of pounds of food to the food drive, donate money to all sorts of charities, etc., etc., etc. i could go on for days. block seating is based on spirit points(determined by the SGA) and there are lots of ways to earn them. i get so tired of hearing people complain about block seating. its a small reward for what fraternities give back to the university, so give it a rest.

This thread is pretty funny, you always hear about how judgemental blah blah blah fraternity people are of those that aren't. But you will notice none of the people that were in frats that has posted on this thread has attacked or made rude comments about those that weren't.

Wow, you're the first Alumni I've heard who wants everyone wearing orange! Everyone I've spoken with is peeved because Tubbs came in and has made AU an Orange school,  when traditionally it has been a Navy school.

112749[/snapback]

Well, you might want to ask more people.

I am a recent Alum and I have been completely onboard with the orange thing. It make AU look better on TV and therefore helps recruiting. When something as simple as changing your shirt can have a positive effect on recruiting, you do it. Hands down. You do it.

112770[/snapback]

I just have to be sure I am clear on this...

If we wear orange shirts, it helps recruiting??

I have heard it all now. :no:

Archived