Richardson in "Hot Water?"

MDM4AU

CBS 42 in Birmingham teased the 10 o'clock news just a few minutes ago and said that another AU president was in trouble and watch to find out what got Richardson into "hot water."

What's up with this? Anybody know anything?

A small group of faculty has lodged a complaint with sacs or someone against him. This may be what it's about. In the Mont. Adv. today he said only 20 of Au's 1400 faculty are members of that group.

A small group of faculty has lodged a complaint with sacs or someone against him. This may be what it's about. In the Mont. Adv. today he said only 20 of Au's 1400 faculty are members of that group.

112627[/snapback]

Thats pretty sorry. Richardson has done a good bit to help this school out in his short time here (with the exception of 2 major things I highly disagree with him on), and for that small group to try to drag the entire school down because they're more liberal than Barbera Streisand is sad. They think they have AU and Richardson by the SAC (pun intended) but the real truth is NO REAL ACCREDIDATION BOARD GIVES A RIP WHAT THE SOUTHERN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGES THINKS!

Just remember, and please never forget, the bamaham media MUST find SOMETHING-ANYTHING to "report" that may POSSIBLY put AU in any sort of bad light. :moon:

After all, their "team" is 5-2 working on losing three out of the next four. :D

NEVER forget that the bamaham appologist MUST, at any cost, keep their market share with teasers of AU misfortune.

NEVER forget just how low they will sink. It is not that far in the past, lest we forget.

WAR EAGLE....NEVER to yield ! ! ! ! :au:

I read the link and am really concerned that a group of disgruntled employees can undermine Auburn's status with the SACS! I wrote the president of the group, with CC's to all their officers, expressing my dissatisfaction and outrage toward this group of professors. If you would like to do the same, here is a link to their website's list of officers.

Auburn AAUP Officers

I believe a few thousand letters such as mine might convince this bunch to stop trying to damage Auburn to acheive their goals, whatever they may be.

Like him or hate him, you have to remember why Richardson was brought in to :au: . The only reason that he is here is to make sure accreditation reviews go well and everything is fine in that dpt. I know there are alot of students that aren't big fans of his, but remember that his title is INTERIM president (sometimes I think he needs to remember that first word of his title). Who knows how long he'll be here after all of this is over with.

I'm no fan of Lowder and the BOT meddling, but the REAL problem here, in my opinion, is a group of disgruntled professors who are using the SACS issue as leverage in a power struggle. In any business environment, a small group of disgruntled managers who attempted such a revolt would be summarily fired. Unfortunately, college profs have that silly thing called tenure (seniority to the second power) that absolves them of any accountability for anything but the most extreme transgressions.

These people do not seem to care that their actions result in further problems for AU; their egos and disdain for Lowder make them willing to do anything to discredit him, even if it means killing the university that we all love.

If you agree with me, please note the list of officers for the "professors union" in my post above and fill their in boxes with letters telling them how you feel about their actions!

but the real truth is NO REAL ACCREDIDATION BOARD GIVES A RIP WHAT THE SOUTHERN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGES THINKS!

112652[/snapback]

Excuse me?

While it is true that individual disciplines may have their own accrediting agencies/boards, SACS accreditation is BY FAR the most important for the University. While the accreditation of individual programs by the governing organizations of those particular disciplines is valuable, many of those individual programs could probably survive without it. Only the loss of SACS accreditation affects the survival of the entire University.

Among other things, like the damage to the school's reputation and the reduced value of any degree from it, loss of SACS accreditation means the loss of ALL Federal funds--including federal student financial aid like Pell grants, etc. How many student will that affect? Do you honestly think Auburn University can survive without that?

[Now I do not know enough about the specifics of the AAUP's argument regarding Richardson, so I won't voice an opinion on that. But don't overlook the importance of SACS accreditation--it is VITAL to the University!]

----

I do think it would be helpful if the Board started the process, or at least started laying out the procedure, for picking a permanent president. And that procedure needs to be open and above board, with heavy faculty and alumni participation and a national pool of candidates. The BOT must do everything possible to remove any hint of "cronyism" from the selection process.

A few things to remember....

First, anyone who believes the "interim" tag is purely naive. Remember our last "Interim President"? Interim just means that Lowder is trying him out to see if he can follow orders. As soon as that is settled, then (just like last time) the Interim label will be dropped.

Second, don't underestimate the stupidity of SACS. This is an orginization that placed us on academic probation because we tried to fire our football coach. These 10-20 Bedwetting Libbies on the faculty might prove to be very dangerous, indeed.

I read the link and am really concerned that a group of disgruntled employees can undermine Auburn's status with the SACS!  I wrote the president of the group, with CC's to all their officers, expressing my dissatisfaction and outrage toward this group of professors.  If you would like to do the same, here is a link to their website's list of officers. 

Auburn AAUP Officers

I believe a few thousand letters such as mine might convince this bunch to stop trying to damage Auburn to acheive their goals, whatever they may be.

112687[/snapback]

Thanks, I just sent all the officers and the Executive Committee an e-mail. It's interesting to note at the link you provide that this group apparently hasn't met since last April at which time Richardson was a guest.

Also, regarding the importance of SACS, I would just point out that while they do put schools on probation, they have never discredited a major university.

This current probation is all about politics. SACS got pissed off because Auburn had sued them.

if you look at that list you'll notice that almost all of the professors are liberal arts/journalism proffesors. They are the have been pissed at the PTB, for just about forever, because ever since lowder showed up, all of their funding has been undercut and pipelined to the school of business. Not saying what they are doing is right, but please understand that these people have been taking it up the tail pipe from Lowder and company for years now. They have every right to be disgruntled. I know they aren't trying to put Auburn's accreditation up for more questioning, they are just trying to keep the William Walker path to the presidency from being repeated.

i don't like richardson any more than they do,but what they are doing and how they are doing it has put them up for public scrutiny.....i think taking money from something as useless as liberal arts and funneling it to the school of business is a wonderful idea..... don't get me wrong,lowder should be run out on a rail ...... always remember though,that the biggest difference in liberalism and communism is the way they are spelled

i just recieved an email from a christa slaton....she doesn't think football is all that important when it is compared to her and her class.....i think its time she made the xmas list....send her a card

112938[/snapback]

Christa Slaton is the head of the graduate program in Public Admin... in other words, the grad school dealing with state, local and federal government bureaucracy, ang just so happens to be the dept I got my MPA from... :blink: She was not head then, thank heavens, but the dept is very touchy feeley...

Second, don't underestimate the stupidity of SACS.  This is an orginization that placed us on academic probation because we tried to fire our football coach.  These 10-20 Bedwetting Libbies on the faculty might prove to be very dangerous, indeed.

112917[/snapback]

Petrinogate was NOT the only reason, and probably not the main reason, for SACS probation.

SACS reviews all accredited universities every ten years, studying every part of the school to decide if it has the proper governance, administration, resources, faculty, standards, and student services to provide college education at a competant level. SACS' ruling was based on a long-term evaluation process which happened to be winding up around the time of Petrinogate. There had been a number of other issues over the years which were of concern, but all mostly relating to micromanagement/interference by BOT and upper administrative officials. Having the BOT at first try to sue SACS, rather than work to correct the problems they identified, probably didn't help AU's case when it came to the final ruling.

The timing and notoriety of Petrinogate--happening just before SACS made their final ruling after months/years of investigation--just made it look as if that was SACS' only, or primary, concern. I doubt SACS would put any institution on probation solely for what happens with a football coach if there were not other serious issues of academic concern.

----

Again, I don't know enough about the current AAUP complaints to say whether they are valid or ludicrous, so I won't comment on them except to say I hope they're not making waves and embarrassing AU unless they have very serious, legitimate concerns.

I know nothing about their politics and saw nothing in the Decator article to justify the use of the term "bed-wetting libbie" as a perjorative, however. They might be Pat Buchanon conservatives as far as the information in the article is concerned.

Second, don't underestimate the stupidity of SACS.  This is an orginization that placed us on academic probation because we tried to fire our football coach.  These 10-20 Bedwetting Libbies on the faculty might prove to be very dangerous, indeed.

112917[/snapback]

Petrinogate was NOT the only reason, and probably not the main reason, for SACS probation.

SACS reviews all accredited universities every ten years, studying every part of the school to decide if it has the proper governance, administration, resources, faculty, standards, and student services to provide college education at a competant level. SACS' ruling was based on a long-term evaluation process which happened to be winding up around the time of Petrinogate. There had been a number of other issues over the years which were of concern, but all mostly relating to micromanagement/interference by BOT and upper administrative officials. Having the BOT at first try to sue SACS, rather than work to correct the problems they identified, probably didn't help AU's case when it came to the final ruling.

The timing and notoriety of Petrinogate--happening just before SACS made their final ruling after months/years of investigation--just made it look as if that was SACS' only, or primary, concern. I doubt SACS would put any institution on probation solely for what happens with a football coach if there were not other serious issues of academic concern.

----

Again, I don't know enough about the current AAUP complaints to say whether they are valid or ludicrous, so I won't comment on them except to say I hope they're not making waves and embarrassing AU unless they have very serious, legitimate concerns.

I know nothing about their politics and saw nothing in the Decator article to justify the use of the term "bed-wetting libbie" as a perjorative, however. They might be Pat Buchanon conservatives as far as the information in the article is concerned.

112973[/snapback]

I don't agree with that at all. While it is true that the primary argument of SACS is "micromanagement", the BOT rarely interferes with (or even cares about) academic matters. Auburn's academic reputation is secure, and before SACs released their report, no one accused Auburn of being inferior academically. An Auburn degree has been and is still quite respected (especially in certain areas), so there can be no legitimate academic reason for us to be on "probation". That only leaves the mess with athletics.

i think taking money from something as useless as liberal arts and funneling it to the school of business is a wonderful idea

Run that by your minister when you go to church on sunday... or maybe your kids' school teacher, or your lawyer. There is no reason to favor one school over another the way that Lowder has tried to since he's been here. And ease off on the steppin' on my degree!

if i listened to a preacher with a liberal arts degree, i'd be asleep.....the minds of our children are poisened by people with liberal arts degrees....i won't step on your degree,but i'll wipe something with it

the minds of our children are poisened by people with liberal arts degrees...

112996[/snapback]

:blink::blink::blink:

So what are you saying?...teaching things like English, history, music, art, speech pathology/therapy, political science, journalism, criminology & criminal justice, philosophy, foreign languages, and psychology poisons our children’s minds? ...or simply that the world doesn't need those things?

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I will respectfully disagree and just hope there are few who share it.

[...of course, this topic is looking more and more like it belongs in the "Politically Speaking" forum than the football forum.... My apologies to the football people.]

i don't like richardson any more than they do,but what they are doing and how they are doing it has put them up for public scrutiny.....i think taking money from something as useless as liberal arts and funneling it to the school of business is a wonderful idea..... don't get me wrong,lowder should be run out on a rail ...... always remember though,that the biggest difference in liberalism and communism is the way they are spelled

112963[/snapback]

I have never been so pissed off at a poster on this board in my life. I am a current student at this prestigious university and if oyu think you have the gall to tell me I am wasting my time in Liberal Arts and all our funding should go elsewhere...then you and me need to meet somewhere and take care of this. That is an absolutely ridiculous comment!!!!!! I work my butt off to make sure I have good grades so I can get out, make some money, and give back to MY LIBERAL ARTS DEPARTMENT that receives nothing!!!!! Have you seen our building? Oh wait, we don't ahve one. We're stuck in Haley with the freshman idiots that don't know what's going on. Just because someone has a little money does not mean their field should be considered any more valuable than someone elses. I know that building and other funding things will always be that way. But if you don't understand that then you are an arrogant &%$(^)*&*$!!!!!!!

son,

don't let your mouth write a check that your bed-wetting ass can't cash.....teachers,artists,journalist are a dime a dozen.....the woods are full of them, a large part of them are imcompetent boobs like you....liberals are what has started the rotting process that this country is undergoing at this very moment.....i have grown sick of my taxes wasted on so-called progressive education.....it has been estimated that around 45% of the teachers of today cannot pass a teacher competency exam....why do you think the LIBERAL AEA is against it?...business schools produce people that are the lifeblood for our future.....son, you don't want to meet me anywhere,trust me on that....i'll shove your pinhead so far up your butt that you can see what you had for lunch.....although, if you are in liberal arts, that is where you keep your head,anyway

Archived