Jay Prosch has been granted a waiver from the NCAA.

auburnandjagsfan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seens like a nice pickup.  Special Teams player of the year and a true blocking full back.

35 Jay Prosch

Hometown:

Mobile, Ala.

High School:

UMS-Wright

Weight:

Position:

RB

Experience:

3-2

Lettered:

2010-11

2011: Transferred to Auburn following the season ... Played in 12 games, starting five ... Served as the team's primary fullback and also played on special teams ... Shared team's Outstanding Special Teams Player award with kicker Derek Dimke ... Led the Illini with 10 tackles on special teams ... Rushed one time for a career-high nine yards on a fake punt against Minnesota ... Got first career carry (no gain) against Western Michigan ... Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

2010: Played in all 13 games as a true-freshman, starting seven at fullback ... Had one reception for one yard on the season ... Helped pave the way for Illinois' single-season rushing leader, Mikel Leshoure, and the Big Ten's top rushing offense in 2010 ... Tallied a yard on first career reception at Michigan ... Started at fullback in his first career game against Missouri in St. Louis.

High School: First-team ASWA 4A All-State selection at linebacker as a senior ... Played in the Alabama/Mississippi All-Star game ... Named the 4A Lineman of the Year by the Alabama Sports Writers Association ... Recorded 199 total tackles, 114 solo stops, 16 for loss, five pass breakups and a sack as a senior ... Averaged 15.9 tackles per game ... First-team ASWA 4A All-State selection at offensive line as a junior ... Team captain as a senior ... Used as a fullback in short yardage situations and rushed five times for 16 yards and a touchdown ... Helped lead UMS-Wright Bulldogs to the 4A AHSAA state championship in 2008 ... Mobile Optimist Club Player of the Year ... High school coach was Terry Curtis ... Recorded a 440 bench press and 590 squat.

Maybe this will leave Lutz more opportunities to be a true TE

good thought, I'd think it does. He has some good stats, It'll nice to have a true FB again.

Maybe this will leave Lutz more opportunities to be a true TE

good thought.  I'd think it does.

This depends on whether he has to sit out a year, which I assume he will, unless he is walking on.  If he has to sit, then Lutz will be gone by the time he sees the field........

RT @BTNTomDienhart: #Illini FB Jay Prosch will transfer to Auburn to be closer to his ailing mother in Mobile, Ala., Illinois announced

I read a tweet that said he would be eligible immediately.  Can anybody confirm and explain why he would not have to sit out a year?

IMO, we really missed Eric Smith this past season.  With a FB, Lutz becomes more of a weapon!

Not only a fullback, but an All American full back.... :thumbsup:

I read a tweet that said he would be eligible immediately. Can anybody confirm and explain why he would not have to sit out a year?

IMO, we really missed Eric Smith this past season. With a FB, Lutz becomes more of a weapon!

His mother is sick, and she is in Mobile.

I think this also means that the LP "experiment" is pretty much over on the offensive side of the ball. 

I guess he could still develop a nasty streak and add enough muscle and weight to become a DT, but not likely IMHO. 

He sure looks like a FB

288716200-18083418.jpg

Reason why?

Prosch had told the Alabama Press-Register that he wanted to transfer to be closer to his mother who is recovering from brain cancer and to find a system that better suits him than the spread offense new coach Tim Beckman will use.

Tim Beckman announced the transfer of sophomore fullback Jay Prosch to Auburn Wednesday

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - University of Illinois head coach Tim Beckman announced the transfer of sophomore fullback Jay Prosch to Auburn Wednesday, a move that will allow Prosch to be closer to his family in the Mobile, Ala., area, including his ailing mother. Prosch was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Weekly on Dec. 12 and was an Academic All-Big Ten honoree this year.

"Jay Prosch has decided to transfer to Auburn and will be there for the current semester," Beckman said. "He will have an opportunity to be much closer to his mother, who continues to face health issues. We wish Jay the best as he makes this move."

Prosch served primarily as a blocking back the past two seasons, registering two carries for nine yards in his career. He also was a diligent special teams player, sharing the team's outstanding special teams player award for 2011. Prosch led the squad with 10 tackles this season and had 11 total tackles for the year. In 2010, he helped pave the way for Illinois' single-season rushing leader, Mikel Leshoure, and the Big Ten's top rushing offense.

He'll be eligible immediately

How bird?

Prosch had told the Alabama Press-Register that he wanted to transfer to be closer to his mother who is recovering from brain cancer and to find a system that better suits him than the spread offense new coach Tim Beckman will use.

Archived