Jay Prosch has been granted a waiver from the NCAA.

auburnandjagsfan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are we saying we should start calling ourselves Fullback U?

No, only that "Running Back U" doesn't mean just tailbacks and halfbacks.

Since fullback has always been my favorite position on any football team (and now HB falls into that mix) I've been pretty excited about having a bruiser back there protecting backs and QB's. And to free up Lutz to block and catch more.

Here is another article about Prosch and Vontaze Burfict

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x519373700/Illini-FB-draws-nasty-assignment?zc_p=0

Then here is a twitter quote from after the game from Jeremy Werner @WernerConnectFM

#illini FB Jay Prosch on ASU LB Vontaze Burfict: "I expected a little bit more. I didn't know if he didn't want to hit or what, but he cut me every play. I got a good one on him one time, but other than that it was no different than anybody else."

Here is anther good article about him filling in at tailback in practice due to some injuries. Talks about him as a runner a little bit more

http://herald-review.com/sports/illini/article_f9238fee-68b0-11e0-9363-001cc4c03286.html

I haven't read the whole thing but since we're listing great fullbacks allow me to introduce some of you to Joe Childress:

JOE CHILDRESS

Joe Childress was a threat as both a fullback and a placekicker for the 1953- 1955 squads. He led the team in rushing

as a junior with 836 yards on 148 carries. His top game in his Auburn career came against fifth-ranked Miami in

1954 when he gained 164 yards on 29 carries as Auburn won 14-13. Childress was selected MVP in the 1954 and 1955

Gator Bowls and was also selected All- SEC in those years. Childress was named All-American by the Football

Writers of America in 1955. After leaving Auburn, Childress played in the NFL for 10 years with the Chicago and

St. Louis Cardinals.

Tucker Fredrickson also played fullback as did Ed Dyas, both All-Americans.  My personal favorite will always be Wallace Clark hwo played FB from 68-70.

Since fullback has always been my favorite position on any football team (and now HB falls into that mix) I've been pretty excited about having a bruiser back there protecting backs and QB's. And to free up Lutz to block and catch more.Here is another article about Prosch and Vontaze Burfict

Then here is a twitter quote from after the game from Jeremy Werner @WernerConnectFM

#illini FB Jay Prosch on ASU LB Vontaze Burfict: "I expected a little bit more. I didn't know if he didn't want to hit or what, but he cut me every play. I got a good one on him one time, but other than that it was no different than anybody else."

Here is anther good article about him filling in at tailback in practice due to some injuries. Talks about him as a runner a little bit more

http://herald-review.com/sports/illini/article_f9238fee-68b0-11e0-9363-001cc4c03286.html

You hit the nail on the head! One of our most deadly playmakers was very underutilized this past year because he was needed for pass blocking. Lutz is like Dallas Clark. He should be running routes on pass plays, not blocking.

Tommy Agee & Heath Evans come to mind as 2 of the best fullbacks to ever put on an Auburn uniform & Jake Slaughter is right up there with them!

Jake is still the broest of bros. Cheers to the man, the myth, the legend  :bow:

18hjlg.jpg

Since fullback has always been my favorite position on any football team (and now HB falls into that mix) I've been pretty excited about having a bruiser back there protecting backs and QB's. And to free up Lutz to block and catch more.

Here is another article about Prosch and Vontaze Burfict

"He holds two Illini weight room records (hang clean 402 pounds, power clean 396). With his body fat down from 12 percent to 6 percent, Prosch will be on the lookout for Burfict."

:o  :thumbsup:

Tommy Agee & Heath Evans come to mind as 2 of the best fullbacks to ever put on an Auburn uniform & Jake Slaughter is right up there with them!

Jake is still the broest of bros. Cheers to the man, the myth, the legend  :bow:

18hjlg.jpg

I remember seeing him on campus one day... Man he is a big dude. I'm 6-4 230 but he is not someone that I would want to mess with.

I haven't read the whole thing but since we're listing great fullbacks allow me to introduce some of you to Joe Childress:

JOE CHILDRESS

Joe Childress was a threat as both a fullback and a placekicker for the 1953- 1955 squads. He led the team in rushing

as a junior with 836 yards on 148 carries. His top game in his Auburn career came against fifth-ranked Miami in

1954 when he gained 164 yards on 29 carries as Auburn won 14-13. Childress was selected MVP in the 1954 and 1955

Gator Bowls and was also selected All- SEC in those years. Childress was named All-American by the Football

Writers of America in 1955. After leaving Auburn, Childress played in the NFL for 10 years with the Chicago and

St. Louis Cardinals.

Tucker Fredrickson also played fullback as did Ed Dyas, both All-Americans.  My personal favorite will always be Wallace Clark hwo played FB from 68-70.

I didn't realize Fredrickson was a fullback...man that dude was bad!

JOE CHILDRESS

St. Louis Cardinals.

He was actually drafted in the NFL as a runnung back. Frederickson was the first overall pick in the 1965 NFL Draft having been selected by the New York Giants, with whom he played with until a knee injury forced his retirement in 1971 (six total playing seasons). Frederickson was inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994.

Shug  called him "the most complete football player I've ever seen".

I saw him return a kickoff for over 100 yards aginst the turds. He was the best all around player I ever saw at Auburn. Key words all around.

Just talked to my Dad. He has a mind that doesn't forget anything. I take after my Mom. John Madden was the coach who said if he was starting a team William Andrews would be his first pick.

JOE CHILDRESS

St. Louis Cardinals.

He won the Jacobs Award as the best blocker in the SEC and made the "first 50 Years All SEC Team" as a DB,  Bad doesn't begin to describe it

Here is a great write on Tucker... on a side note down near the bottom of the article it says he lives at Seminole Golf Club. I can tell you it is almost impossible to get on that course to play. I don't care who you are. It was one of Ben Hogan's favorite courses to play. Ultra ultra private. It is just north of Palm Beach, Fl.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/651692.html

JOE CHILDRESS

St. Louis Cardinals.

We played both ways back then and Fredrickson was also a safety on our defense. He could have been all american at either position. On offense he was actually a blocking-back/half-back until mid season when the coaches moved him to FB to spark the offense when it became apparent that Sidle's shoulder wasn't going to allow him to throw. Frederickson made AA at fullback after only playing the position for less than half a season. Absolutely the toughest, fastest and hardest hitting and talented football player we had on our team......nobody wanted to go up against him in practice because he played with the same intensity and fire in practice as he did in a game.....an absolute beast. 

"Jay Prosch's high school coach says Auburn has 'some kind of plan' for Prosch

"

"I figure they’ll do something with him. With all the people they had out there on the line this late in the recruiting process, they have some kind of plan for him to jump on him that quick. For them to jump in there and give him a scholarship and do what they did to get him on campus in just a matter of a few days, they have some kind of plan for him."

http://www2.oanow.com/blogs/aublog/2012/jan/19/jay-proschs-high-school-coach-says-auburn-has-some-ar-3076423/

Good article on how Prosch's enrollment will help Lutz next season. 

"Joel A. Erickson commentary on Auburn football: Jay Prosch's transfer from Illinois to Tigers should benefit Philip Lutzenkirchen"

Excerpt: "The fact that Prosch transferred to Auburn means the Tigers’ new offensive coordinator will have room in his scheme, and likely a prominent role, for somebody with Prosch’s talents."

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/01/20/1900441/joel-a-erickson-commentary-on.html

This guy was pretty mean too...

28_Johnson,Brandon120x160.JPG

Brandon "BAM BAM" Johnson

I have always thought this dude looks just like The Waterboy, but please dont tell him I said that!

He DOES look like the Waterboy...when he's hitting people!

Archived