kentucky

AUbirdie

i just read on kentucky's rivals site where they may start a freshman quarterback this saturday. in the article were quotes such as; "it couldnt hurt anything," and "maybe it will help us next year." it was pretty comical but sad at the same time. i think auburn is favored by 31 and from the sounds of things that may just be a lock.

I don't know if this part of the BCS computer program but I think that we need to start putting some big numbers up (I know we are already blowing people away). Maybe if we really beat people by more than the AP and espn/coaches polls may take more of a notice of us. Just an Idea!

:au:

Margin of voctory was taken out and all the computer formulas used are required to omit it as well. Win and we stay where we are, even if we score 100 points.

jared i dont think blue is talking about the computers. i think he is referring to the voters who dont actually watch the games but just look at the box scores. he is sugessting that by blowing someone out, as opposed to sitting on the ball once you are up 20 or 30 points, might look more impressive. for example 73-0 looks like we killed someone where as 39-13 looks like it may have been a game at some point.

Ok, I agree that running up the score probably wouldn't help us directly with the BCS poll but could it help us with the AP or espn/Coaches poll? If it would help those voters to recoginize us as better than Miami/OU or possibly give us some #1 votes wouldn't that help us in the the BCS poll? I mean in the Ap poll we got 2 #1 votes.

Ok, I agree that running up the score probably wouldn't help us directly with the BCS poll but could it help us with the AP or espn/Coaches poll?  If it would help those voters to recoginize us as better than Miami/OU or possibly give us some #1 votes wouldn't that help us in the the BCS poll?  I mean in the Ap poll we got 2 #1 votes.

113023[/snapback]

At this point, I don't see anything helping AU move up in the polls/rankings except a loss to the teams polled/ranked in front of us. That's not to say we shouldn't crush UK anyway. It's just that the time for crushing a patsy on the schedule to wow the pollsters has come & gone. Remember at the beginning of the season when AU only beat LaMo 31-0 and dropped 2 spots in the AP poll? (Missed opportunities & stuff.) Of course, the strategy at the time was to not show the offense in order to surprise LSU later, so ... it didn't turn out too badly then. :au:

Guys I really don't think it matters. We still have to beat a VERY good UGA team. What do you think is the bigger deal? Scoring an extra 20 on Kentucky or beating UGA? We have a tough enough schedule that if we actually manage to go undefeated, the voters WILL take notice.

But once agian, I don't think it will matter. History shows over and over again that teams lose as the season goes on. I have no doubt that it will happen again this year. Let's just take care of business. Here is the table in case anybody didnt see it in another topic.

Year------Initial release-------Final release

1998----------6--------------------1 (Tennessee)

1999----------5--------------------2 (FSU, Virginia Tech)

2000--------- 4--------------------1 (Oklahoma)

2001----------7--------------------1 (Miami)

2002----------7--------------------2 (Miami, Ohio State)

2003----------3--------------------0

2004----------5--------------------???

Ok, I agree that running up the score probably wouldn't help us directly with the BCS poll but could it help us with the AP or espn/Coaches poll?  If it would help those voters to recoginize us as better than Miami/OU or possibly give us some #1 votes wouldn't that help us in the the BCS poll?  I mean in the Ap poll we got 2 #1 votes.

113023[/snapback]

At this point, I don't see anything helping AU move up in the polls/rankings except a loss to the teams polled/ranked in front of us. That's not to say we shouldn't crush UK anyway. It's just that the time for crushing a patsy on the schedule to wow the pollsters has come & gone. Remember at the beginning of the season when AU only beat LaMo 31-0 and dropped 2 spots in the AP poll? (Missed opportunities & stuff.) Of course, the strategy at the time was to not show the offense in order to surprise LSU later, so ... it didn't turn out too badly then. :au:

113030[/snapback]

i disagree. i think that if we dominate everyone we play and miami barely squeaks by a few opponents, some of those 20 or so votes from the coaches poll might shift over to us therefore giving us more bcs points as well. im not saying that blowing kent. out would be better than beating georgia by 7 or 10 points but i think every little thing we can do will help our chances.

I was listening to Scott on SST and he said the Officially the Margin of Victory was not in the BCS formula but keep in mind that the Computers only count for 1/3 of the formula. The AP counts for 1/3 and the ESPN/Coaches poll counts for the other 1/3. The ESPN/Coaches and AP polls are VOTED on by HUMANS. The same humans who ohh and Ahh over 60-3 scores. Margin of victory does affect the Human polls.

That being said I don't think we need to blow out Georgia or the opponent in the SECCG(assuming we make it) but we do need to make a good showing against UK, Old Miss and to a lesser extent Bama. Beating Georgia will be enough even if it is a close game but if we only beat Kentucky by 21 when we are a 30 +/- favorite will not get it.

Even though M of V does not directly affect the BCS, it does however indireectly.

If you have noticed we have moved up in both polls (getting more votes). Now we jump infont of UM because the AP writers actually took time to watch the game Saturday, and knew we absolutely dominated the game. That's the reason why we jumped UM in the AP poll.

The Coaches poll is another thing. Coaches never watched games, they just look at scores. And by the look of the score (38-20), it looks like Arky hanged tough with us for a while. Which is not the case at all. Let's say we put up 14 more points and make the score 52-20. That's looks a heck of a lot better to the coaches. And who knows, we probably could have jumped UM in the coaches poll.

So yes M of V does matter, because that's what coaches look at. And then of course the polls go into the BCS.

to add insult to injury, the hijacking of this thread from 'UK is po' to 'how the BCS works' is somewhat amusing.

i think that if we beat the people we should, the way that we should, then we'll be ok.

if MOV doesn't matter, then consider what a 1-point victory over UK would do to us...presuming we had to kick a 58 yard field goal to win it by 1 pt or so.

i firmly believe that would hurt us in both polls.

ct

CT, I agree with you 100%. We saw it with LSU after the first week of the season, when they dropped after the Oregon State game. I think it would be even more of a drop for us, given that it's now mid-season, and we're not breaking in a new QB.

UK gave up for this game EARLY this year.

They had a QB "controversy" going into this year. Boyd is a senior and has waited in line behind Battleship Lorenzen for 3 years. He is an exceptional athlete. However, the question for UK fans has always been, shouldn't we be playing for the future?! Some stick with loyalty to the senior, others want to cut their losses and throw in the Freshman. Neither QB has shown ANYTHING all year long. UK previously only had a talented runner at QB and 10 other Vandy rejects on offense. Now, they will have 11 po-folks on offense.

Archived