Coach Jeff Grimes

cvfoster

I know Trooper, Luper, and Thigpen are the coaches who get the most hype about their abilities as recruiters, but I thiknk Coach Jeff Grimes has been our best recruiter the past three seasons.  Under CJG recruiting, Auburn has stock piled top tier offensive lineman each of the last three seasons and we should really start seeing this on the field starting this season.  In addition, what a great recruiting job Coach Chizik did in retaining CJG when Texas was after him. 

Not only do I think CJG is a great recruiter, but he is also a great line coach and teacher.  I remember reading in '10 Ryan Pugh and others saying CJG was teaching them things they had never seen. 

Finally, CJG is a model Auburn Man who puts God first, family second, and everything else after that.  We see him and his family around town, at the ball fields, at the pool, etc., and I have so much respoect for how he handles himself.

War Eagle!!

Coach Grimes is a star in my book and I sure hope he stays at Auburn a long long time. He has worked hard to get the AU line staffed to the point it is today and now his hard work is going to pay off with all these top tier OL players. As I said in another thread, he now has the system working so that he is able to RS a couple good incoming players every year, ala Robinson, Westerman, O'Reilly. He can then bring them in after they have that year under them in the weight room and on the scout team against our 1st string DL.  After a year, the difference in an offensive lineman at that age in size, strength and technique is vast. We are in the reloading phase now and this is where the fun begins for him and AU.

I agree with everthing you said.  He is a great recruiter and he is a great fundamentals teacher; however, I somethings question his toughness, or better yet, how he instills toughness in our OL players.  Our OL didn't start playing with toughness in 2010 until the USCe game when CGC had to call out on it during half time.  Last year, I will give him a pass because of all the injuries and young players were just not physically ready for 300 plus DTs. An OLmen has got to be mean..they have got to have a nasty streak.  I just don't see too many on our team that has shown they have that. I maybe totally wrong, and if I am, I would love to hear what others know so they can enlighten me.

Coach Grimes has done a wonderful job. We are lucky to have kept him this year. Other schools know how good he is and constantly look to hire him away. It will happen sometime, but we are glad to have Coach Grimes for as long as we can.

I agree with everthing you said.  He is a great recruiter and he is a great fundamentals teacher; however, I somethings question his toughness, or better yet, how he instills toughness in our OL players.  Our OL didn't start playing with toughness in 2010 until the USCe game when CGC had to call out on it during half time.  Last year, I will give him a pass because of all the injuries and young players were just not physically ready for 300 plus DTs. An OLmen has got to be mean..they have got to have a nasty streak.  I just don't see too many on our team that has shown they have that. I maybe totally wrong, and if I am, I would love to hear what others know so they can enlighten me.

Along with Moseley, imo our two "meanest" players last year were redshirted. Watch what happens when Robinson and Westerman join Dismukes this year. 

Coach Grimes has done a wonderful job. We are lucky to have kept him this year. Other schools know how good he is and constantly look to hire him away. It will happen sometime, but we are glad to have Coach Grimes for as long as we can.

I have thought long and hard about that. If I put myself in Coach Grimes shoes and busted my behind to recruit and build an OL program to the point he has done at AU would I walk away from that and start over someplace else ? I dont think I would and as long as Coach C keeps his money competitive, I dont think he will either.

I have thought long and hard about that. If I put myself in Coach Grimes shoes and busted my behind to recruit and build an OL program to the point he has done at AU would I walk away from that and start over someplace else ? I dont think I would and as long as Coach C keeps his money competitive, I dont think he will either.

I agree with you and this group of OL is obscene (and could potentially get even better).

Alright, Coach Pelton. Let's see you try to outrecruit and outcoach Coach Grimes!

Let's get a little healthy competition going!

Let's get the D-line in shape like the O-line, and we'll win another National Championship!

I honestly think we have the best li.e talent on both sides now that we finally have some age on them I expect huge things. I don't know who is the best on our staff but you gotta tip your hat to grimes at the obvious respect recruits and other staffs have for him

No disrespect intended for Coach Grimes or Coach Pelton. Coach Grimes is great, and has a head start on Coach Pelton. I just want Coach Pelton to step it up and go from good to great!

imho I don't think CJG should leave AU for a while until he gets offered a good OC job...

agree w/ everyone that BELIEVES CMP will get the D-line recruited to the same level within the next year. the entire coaching staff has to be behind building the DL over the next year OR TWO!

I agree with you and this group of OL is obscene (and could potentially get even better).

Yes and we made these posts before Grimes got Diamond. Grimes is a super star in my book for what he has done the last 3 years.

No disrespect intended for Coach Grimes or Coach Pelton. Coach Grimes is great, and has a head start on Coach Pelton. I just want Coach Pelton to step it up and go from good to great!

Hopefully, the opportunity to match up against a top-ranked OL will persuade similarly talented defensive linemen.  To a casual observer, it  seems  Auburn offers a good path to the NFL.

I just wanted to give my props to OL coach Jeff Grimes. The past 3 recruiting classes he has brought in top 5 OL  classes for us w/ Westerman, Mack, Christian, Dismukes, Robinson, Diamond, Callahan, Miller, Young,.... etc. i love this staff, i think Luper and Thig and Troop get alot of the attention which is fine. Imo CJG is prob our most consistent recruiter. i dont know him personally but i just wanted to say "we appreciate you coach and your doing a helluva job!!" WAR EAGLE FAM !!!

I just wanted to give my props to OL coach Jeff Grimes. The past 3 recruiting classes he has brought in top 5 OL  classes for us w/ Westerman, Mack, Christian, Dismukes, Robinson, Diamond, Callahan, Miller, Young,.... etc. i love this staff, i think Luper and Thig and Troop get alot of the attention which is fine. Imo CJG is prob our most consistent recruiter. i dont know him personally but i just wanted to say "we appreciate you coach and your doing a helluva job!!" WAR EAGLE FAM !!!

Give Troop credit for help bringing in our top 2 rated OL. Rivals gives Troop credit for Avery Young and Jordan Diamond as well as Coach Grimes.

If you ever have the chance to meet him and talk with him - take it.

Give Troop credit for help bringing in our top 2 rated OL. Rivals gives Troop credit for Avery Young and Jordan Diamond as well as Coach Grimes.

I was just thinking about that.  The coaches all have a territory they are the lead recruiter in. They get the guy interested in Auburn and then the position coach and Chizik help close the deal.

I thought the same thing about Coach Malzahn, especially with Kiehl Frazier (hopefully) coming into his own this coming season. 

I agree. Even if CJG wasn't the lead recruiter on all our OL targets he is the ultimate selling point. It appears there are a lot kids out there who want to play for him.

I think Coach Grimes and the staff at Auburn all operate on the principle, it doesn't matter who gets the credit, and as long as the job gets done. You can accomplish a lot more like that. Then credit comes when others see you doing a good job.

Archived