Question about Borges

snaklak

This rumor is unsubstantiated, but I want to see what you guys think. A buddy of mine says that Florida wants Borges to be their next head coach. I know they would want Spurrier, but lets say that doesn't work out. This is also predicated on the fact that Florida does fire Zook at the end of the season. Do you think Borges would make the move?

Are there any other teams you could foresee trying to hire him??? Teams like Penn State that could very well have a coaching change after this season.

I really like Borges and hope he stays around for 3 or 4 years like Norm Chow has at USC(i think he will be a head coach somewhere next year). I think he is going to do wonders for our program.

**Please take this post for what it is worth, just pondering. I don't want to listen to sports call tomorrow and hear people say Borges is going anywhere.

I doubt very seriously that Borges will be going anywhere for a while.... I believe that he is really enjoying what he is doing at AU and he wants to continue to get this offensive program better. Tubs has pretty much delegated him full control of what he enjoys doing (coaching offense) and I dont see any reason he would want to leave. Also, I am betting CTT made it very clear that he didnt want another OC to be here for only 1 year and gone the next like Petrino....and thats why i am betting he favored Borges over other young OC that interviewed. Borges will be at AU for a while!!!

There's always a chance and I never say "never" when it comes to coaching changes. All AU can do is make his position as attractive as possible and make him feel wanted. Borges had some great offenses in the past and hasn't had a HC position yet. I've always felt that some people are cut out to be HC while others simply don't have the management and people skills to hanlde the job.

A head coach has to be so many things. Sometimes we forget that he has to oversee the entire program and make decisions on everything from how they will practice, warm up for a game, who will play and won't play, discipline, hiring and firing of assistants, team meetings and on and on and on. The head coach handles countless speaking engagements, fund raisers, appearances, TV commercials, the Auburn Review, etc. Let's don't even discuss dealing with BOT members and very influential boosters. I'm just scratching the surface here.

My point is that there is far more than on-the-field decisions involved in the head coaches responsibilities. Some people can handle that, some can't. That's why hires like Croom and Shula at major universities baffle me. What lead MSU and Bama to believe these guys could just step right in and run these programs successfully when they've never done it before? I say all that to ask why a program the magnitude of Florida would hire a life-long assistant? It works out sometimes(Stoops) but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

(BTW, Borges has never been a HC.)

Borges left a really good position at UCLA to go to Cal because he thought he would be in line for the HC job there. Due to an unfortunate chain of events outside his control, it blew up. He definitely wants to be a head coach. If something comes along, I believe he will be gone, a la Petrino.

More power to him.

I learned in management that you don't try to hold good people back, you help them go to glory. If your organization is viewed as a route to stardom, high performers will flock to you. With Tuberville's growing reputation, with good recruiting, with a good organization and fan base, Auburn can get fine coaches/coordinators.

I also think the Lessons-Learned for CTT is that young men are very resilient and will adapt to change quickly. He tried to spare them "another new system" last year and see what happened. Just think if Borges had been here both years.

I would very much like to see Borges be around for awhile, but I won't panic if he gets the job he no doubt deserves.

I wonder if he has a buy out clause? I know Croom has one. I guess Lowder and Yellow tag is going to have to fork out some money if this was true.

:au:

A week or so ago, Richardson was quoted in the paper as saying the "Coach Tuberville will be rewarded" for the excellent season. I hope that goes for the key assistant coaches also. I'd like to see them get raises and incentive bonuses--that should make it easier for them to stay.

And by the way, while Borges is doing a great job and I love our new offense, let's not let Gene Chizik get lost in the offensive glare. Our defense is actually ranked higher in most national stats than our offense--after losing more to graduation than the offense did last year. And Chizik has been doing the job for us for longer than Al Borges--let's give him his due praise!

It's taken some experimenting and some trying times, but CTT looks like he's finally hit on the right combination of coaches. We all know CTT's success on the field is directly tied to the the people he surrounds himself with and I sure hope he can keep this group together for a while.

I think if I was a coach I would let someone else come after Zook also. What if you put up a single worse season than him? Your head would be on a platter.

Also when Borges was hired he discussed the idea that he wanted to be a head coach and said that he was pretty much over the idea. It was in the papers or on radio. This being due to the problem his ambition caused him in his career.

whatever the case, the guy knows how to run an offense....he seems to be one step ahead of the defense every game....i hope he stays for a long,long time....he does have some fine players to work with,remember that

From what I have heard in the past, Borges does not want to be a head coach. He enjoys the offensive side of the ball, like he has for the past 30+ years or however long he has been doing it. He loves the SEC, as his comment after the LSU game. I bet he stays.

And by the way, while Borges is doing a great job and I love our new offense, let's not let Gene Chizik get lost in the offensive glare. Our defense is actually ranked higher in most national stats than our offense--after losing more to graduation than the offense did last year. And Chizik has been doing the job for us for longer than Al Borges--let's give him his due praise!

Couldn't agree more about Chizik. Auburn's defense has been historically good, but Chizik has them playing great. Just heard on Sports Call that McClover leads the SEC in sacks and he doesn't even start.

Offensively this season has just been pretty to watch.

Simple economics: a head coach can make upwards of $1M, more if he's at a big name school. Coordinators will be paid much less, $1-200k, somewhat more if at a big name school but nothing like a head coach. What man wouldn't want to provide for his family by taking a position that pays 2 or 3 times what he's currently making?

Borges will get another shot at a HC position -- after he does his magic with Cox next year(!)

What I'm hoping for is that Borges is at Auburn long enough to attract a cadre of really top-notch QB's. I think his offense will be a big attraction for hot-shots. Would be good for Auburn to become a "Quarterback U".

We've had some good ones (Craig, White, etc.), but only one star--Sullivan. I'm still waiting for the whole season on Jason.

Borges should not go anywhere this year, he has had a few "less than impressive" showings as OC in the past. Big time schools know this and I am sure they take into account the talent level he has around him. I mean how often do you have a team with TWO nfl star caliber running backs who are seniors, a QB playing to the level JC is right now and lets not forget the WR's they have been great so far this year. Let Borges, get two more good years under his belt then we can worry about him going to :uf: , Texas, Penn State....

The one I think stands the best chance of going someplace like we have mentioned is Chizik. He is doing nothing short of amazing with the talent we had go to the NFL last year. So we need to make sure he loves Auburn as much as we all love having him around and he will stay for a long time.

as far as his stock being high...i think it'd be time to sell now, cause we gotta realize...he hasn't experienced anything but success this year. let's see how he handles a poor offensive outing and that'll show us how he copes w/ adversity at auburn. further, let's hope we find that out 4 years from now... ;)

ct

Archived