No Name Defence

AFTiger

Link http://www.postherald.com/ti102104.shtml

Tigers credit speedy defense

By JIMMY DeBUTTS

BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

AUBURN — Head up and swiveling, Kevin Sears tracked DeCori Birmingham as the runner cut to his right.

Then Sears pounced.

Junior Rosegreen followed and a three-man collision sent Birmingham to the ground. Arkansas' running back barely reached the line-of-scrimmage.

As Sears and Rosegreen returned to the defensive huddle, they acknowledged their success before lining up for the next play. But little energy is expended on self-promotion.

Auburn's defenders function as a unit and they celebrate in the same manner.

The nation's second-best scoring defense (9.0 points per game) has no use for a catchy nickname. No time is spent concocting a self-aggrandizing moniker.

Pressed for an adjective best describing the No. 3 Tigers' defensive personality, sophomore safety Will Herring cuts to the heart of the unit's success.

"The Hustlers," Herring said. "We just fly to the ball. We've got 11 guys playing, competing one-on-one trying to beat the guy in front of them.

"We're not perfect. The way we're playing right now, with the energy out there and the effort - everybody's got everybody's back."

A selfless attitude has produced the nation's 20th-best rushing defense (104.4 ypg), 11th-best passing defense (158.3 ypg) and fifth-best total defense (262.7 ypg). Strictly adhering to the "team-first" philosophy, the Tigers (7-0, 4-0 Southeastern Conference) vaulted to unexpected heights.

They lead the SEC West by two games with four to play. Auburn welcomes Kentucky (1-5, 0-3) to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a 1:30 p.m. Saturday game with the intention of tightening their grip on the divisional lead.

Egos haven't been hurdles for the 2004 Tigers. Sophomore defensive end Stanley McClover attributes Auburn's success to a team-wide commitment to personal responsibility.

The Tigers insist there are no defensive stars. No single player can compensate for the other 10. Success hinges on each defender fulfilling his duties.

"I like the no-name thing," said McClover, who is tied for the SEC lead with four sacks this season. "Everybody works hard. Nobody tries to be greedy. Nobody is jealous of the next person. When you make plays, everybody is happy. It's playing good-team ball."

Defensive Coordinator Gene Chizik emphasizes fundamentals and technique. His players preach those virtues. They've learned to take nothing for granted.

When an opposing ball carrier is hit by a Tiger, the rest of Auburn's defenders swarm to his aid. The Tigers entered the season with questions concerning their rebuilt defense.

The answer has come in the form of teamwork. Linebackers assist the linemen and safeties support the linebackers.

Junior linebackers Antarrious Williams and Travis Williams were labeled "undersized" prior to the season. They've turned their svelte frames into high-speed battering rams helping define the 2004 Tigers.

"We've got a lot of speed," McClover said. "Speed and smarts, you can't beat that."

Antarrious Williams isn't seeking recognition for himself or his defense. If the Tigers sustain their current pace, Williams is confident accolades and nicknames will surely come.

"If we continue to execute, people will give us a name," Williams said. "I'm still sticking to the no-name title. That's fine with me, as long as we come out and win games.

We have a lot of speed on our defense, but the most important thing is that we just go out and play responsibility football and just play within our defense.

"We know individuals can't win the game. It has to be all 11 working together."

I think The Blue Swarm would work!!!

"I like the no-name thing," said McClover, who is tied for the SEC lead with four sacks this season. "Everybody works hard. Nobody tries to be greedy. Nobody is jealous of the next person. When you make plays, everybody is happy. It's playing good-team ball."

That's it in a nutshell. And it makes it doubly special coming from a sure superstar like McClover. I don't care what they call themselves as long as they continue & keep coaching the new players in the philosophy. Reloading sounds so much better than rebuilding.

I kinda like the no name defense. It's like the old Clint Eastwood characters from the spaghetti westerns where he was the man with no name. Too many people wanna name stuff with nicknames in sports these days.

I am all for the no-name defense. It is blue collar, they all show up to work everyday to do their job.

IMO, I think we should keep a low profile and forget about having nicknames for players or positions. The theme of the 04 Tigers has been built around "team" chemistry so why change what it is clearly working?

:au: 34 :uk: 10

You beat me to it. "The AUBURN Defense"......THAT is all that is needed. :au:

ONE at a time...WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

I think the "John Kerry Defense". I've seen a lot of guys laying on the ground flip-flopping after meeting some of the members of this defense up-close and personal.

I agree with the rest, dont think we need a "nickname".

that is for the stupid media.

Caddy had one coming in now everyone thinks they have to have something.

Nicknames are given by others not by giving them to yourself.

"Auburn University 's No-Name defense" works for me

or you could go with Chiz-LD (chizled)

"Chiziks little defense" cheesy i know. ill stick to no name for now. :lol:

What to call the Auburn Defense;

The Mankillers?

The Blue Crew?

The Predators?

The Blue Crush?

Teeth and Claws?

The Jungle Stalkers?

The Bluecollar D?

The Jungle Creatures?

The Tiger Attack?

The Men in Blue?

The Head Hunters?

The Savage D?

The Tiger Pride?

The Jungle Freaks?

or

The Auburn D? :au::D:D:cheer::cheer::cheer:

What to call the Auburn Defense;

The Mankillers?

The Blue Crew?

The Predators?

The Blue Crush?

Teeth and Claws?

The Jungle Stalkers?

The Bluecollar D?

The Jungle Creatures?

The Tiger Attack?

The Men in Blue?

The Head Hunters?

The Savage D?

The Tiger Pride?

The Jungle Freaks?

or

The Auburn D?  :au:   :D  :D:cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:

113732[/snapback]

Those are all good, but I like the last one the best!

Archived