Max Garcia

dpwspringer

This AJC article says we offered Max Garcia, the Maryland transfer: http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/18/uga-offers-football-scholarship-to-ol-transfer/

Did we?

UGA offers football scholarship to OL transfer

11:23 am February 18, 2012, by Michael Carvell

UGA has offered Max Garcia, the offensive lineman who was granted his release and permission to transfer from Maryland earlier this week.

Garcia, who stands 6-foot-4 ½ and 310 pounds, is an NFL prospect who started all 12 games at left offensive tackle as a sophomore this past season at Maryland.

UGA will have some stiff competition from the Florida Gators for Garcia, who has also been offered by Auburn and Ole Miss. The former Norcross High School standout is also being evaluated by Alabama and South Carolina.

If he is NFL quality lineman, seems like sitting out a year is a real waste of talent.  Maybe he should go to lower division so he can play another year and go pro. 

Anyway, I imagine he will only play one year if he does sign with a D1 school, IMHO.

WDE

From War Eagle Extra

Auburn’s efforts to improve its depth on the offensive line appear to still be a work in progress despite the six offensive lineman signed in the 2012 class. Former Maryland offensive lineman Max Garcia has been offered a scholarship by Auburn, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday.

Garcia, a 6-4, 310-pounder who has garnered some attention from NFL scouts in his two years at Maryland, is a target for a host of SEC schools including Georgia, Florida and Ole Miss. Auburn, Georgia and Florida — three teams that are looking to fill offensive line holes — also locked horns in a recruiting battle for five-star offensive tackle Avery Young, a battle Auburn won on national signing day.

“I just felt like it would be better for me and my family if I would be a little bit closer than 10 hours away from home,” Garcia told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Garcia, a Norcross High School product who reportedly wanted to move closer to home, cannot transfer to any of the current ACC opponents, future ACC teams Pittsburgh and Syracuse, and several other schools, according to the Washington Post.

He’s also part of a mass exodus from Maryland. The Washington Post reported that 12 Terrapins with eligibility remaining have left the program since the end of the season.

Read more here: http://www.wareagleextra.com/2012/02/20/report-auburn-courting-maryland-transfer-max-garcia/#storylink=cpy

From War Eagle Extra

He’s also part of a mass exodus from Maryland. The Washington Post reported that 12 Terrapins with eligibility remaining have left the program since the end of the season.

Read more here: http://www.wareagleextra.com/2012/02/20/report-auburn-courting-maryland-transfer-max-garcia/#storylink=cpy

I seriously wonder how many times Diggs has second guessed his decision.

From War Eagle Extra

Not once IMO. He's close to home

My guess would be ZERO times.  He made his decision to be close to his family.  I don't think his family has moved.

My guess would be ZERO times.  He made his decision to be close to his family.  I don't think his family has moved.

Diggs said Auburn was a close second, and I think he was sincere.  Sometimes we all do things for our families, but it doesn't mean we don't get a hint of regret in doing so.  Emmit Smith admitted to buyer's remorse for going to Florida instead of Auburn.  And yes, he did it for his family. 

It's natural for anybody to second guess their decision.  It doesn't mean they'll change their minds. 

I think I read on Twitter (one of the AU guys, decker, kkolumba, smuphy....one of them) hinted that Diggs had made some comments about other Maryland recruits.  That maybe there were some questionable tactics in the recruitment of the guys committed to Maryland before Diggs began considering them.  Anyone know about this? 

I don't understand why we are recruiting Garcia since we now have numbers on the OL. It's apparent he will have to sit out this year. The only thing i can think of is there must be some doubt in the talent we already have.

Maybe CGC is letting CSL go after some OL that he likes for his system.

I don't understand why we are recruiting Garcia since we now have numbers on the OL. It's apparent he will have to sit out this year. The only thing i can think of is there must be some doubt in the talent we already have.

Because him, Robinson, Mack, Dismukes, and Westerman would make one mean OL...

I understand that but what about Young, Miller, Diamond, O'Reilly, and others who are mean OL as well. All those guys will be a year older before Garcia is able to play if he chooses to come here.

I understand that but what about Young, Miller, Diamond, O'Reilly, and others who are mean OL as well. All those guys will be a year older before Garcia is able to play if he chooses to come here.

Then if they're better, they'll play. Its a win-win

You are right but i was thinking that that scholly could be used at a position of greater need next year such as at LB, DL, or safety.

You are right but i was thinking that that scholly could be used at a position of greater need next year such as at LB, DL, or safety.

That's a point I won't argue.  Having that extra scholly is always important.  I guess we'll see what happens.  Maybe we don't expect that many early enrollees next year?

My guess is that if the coaches are recruiting him with any vigor whatsoever, then it's because of his experience and nothing more. By the time he's able to play, yeah, the six guys we've already signed (and maybe Kozan) will all be a year bigger, faster, and stronger...but they'll still be two years behind Garcia, who will be a junior after his transfer year, I believe.

The coaches understand that to be GREAT in this conference, it starts up front. You can never have enough quality offensive and defensive linemen. Garcia already has NFL scouts looking at him. Imagine having Garcia, Young, Diamond,Westerman and Robinson. Suhhhhweeet.

He would be brought in like a JC player. Plus he is not a gamble like HS recruits. He has more experience than a JC OL. He played in D1 and the coaches can tell how he matches against players at this level, unlike most JC players.

Diggs said Auburn was a close second, and I think he was sincere.  Sometimes we all do things for our families, but it doesn't mean we don't get a hint of regret in doing so.  Emmit Smith admitted to buyer's remorse for going to Florida instead of Auburn.  And yes, he did it for his family. 

It's natural for anybody to second guess their decision.  It doesn't mean they'll change their minds. 

isn't Auburn about 130 miles and 2 hours closer to Pensacola than Gainsville?

I like the focus we are putting on lineman. Starting this season we will be fully stocked at that position. Young but finally have the numbers for a solid 2 deep. I am all for getting as many top notch lineman as possible. If there are gaping holes then a 2 star RB can set records

isn't Auburn about 130 miles and 2 hours closer to Pensacola than Gainsville?

I believe you are correct, sir. I remember years ago when one of our best recruiting points to kids out of Florida was that we were the closest D1A school outside of the state (for those that didn't stay in-state for whatever reason). I don't know how much that meant then or means now. With $4 gal gas, it means something to some parents.

Archived