Max Garcia

dpwspringer

If you have enough good O-Linemen you can rotate them constantly so that by the fourth quarter you worn out the other teams defense.

Look at LSU and Georgia this year. Georgia D-Line dominated in first half but eventually LSU O-Line wore them out then stomped them.  Georgia had a great D-line but last year they were basically one deep hence they did not do as well in the 4th Quarter. 

You can never have too many big uglies on either the O-Line or the D-Line

I don't understand why we are recruiting Garcia since we now have numbers on the OL. It's apparent he will have to sit out this year. The only thing i can think of is there must be some doubt in the talent we already have.

Because him, Robinson, Mack, Dismukes, and Westerman would make one mean OL...

I understand that but what about Young, Miller, Diamond, O'Reilly, and others who are mean OL as well. All those guys will be a year older before Garcia is able to play if he chooses to come here.

Then if they're better, they'll play. Its a win-win

You are right but i was thinking that that scholly could be used at a position of greater need next year such as at LB, DL, or safety.

Don't discount the possibility that one or more of these guys end up on the other side of the ball.

I seriously wonder how many times Diggs has second guessed his decision.

My guess would be ZERO times.  He made his decision to be close to his family.  I don't think his family has moved.

Diggs said Auburn was a close second, and I think he was sincere.  Sometimes we all do things for our families, but it doesn't mean we don't get a hint of regret in doing so.  Emmit Smith admitted to buyer's remorse for going to Florida instead of Auburn.  And yes, he did it for his family. 

It's natural for anybody to second guess their decision.  It doesn't mean they'll change their minds. 

isn't Auburn about 130 miles and 2 hours closer to Pensacola than Gainsville?

UF bought Emmett. That is why he went there. I had an uncle who worked for Gulf Power in Pensacola at that time. Mom Smith got a cushy job with them right after he signed with UF.

Just FWIW Garcia would have to sit out one year and then have two years to play two. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he wants to come.

^^^^^^^^^

I agree, I don't understand why there is even any debate on whether we'd take this guy. Apparently the coaching staff wants him (and we should support the best coaching staff in America....SUNSHINE PUMP) and the NFL is interested  in the guy, so that is good enough reason for me.

I'm sure the coaching staff has a pretty good insight on what our areas of need are with respect to recruits and scholarships availability.

If you have enough good O-Linemen you can rotate them constantly so that by the fourth quarter you worn out the other teams defense.

Look at LSU and Georgia this year. Georgia D-Line dominated in first half but eventually LSU O-Line wore them out then stomped them.  Georgia had a great D-line but last year they were basically one deep hence they did not do as well in the 4th Quarter. 

You can never have too many big uglies on either the O-Line or the D-Line

It is always good to be able to rotate O-linemen, both to stay fresh and in case of injury, but you have to be careful not to mess with the chemistry too much.

What about two different OL squads to take turns on the field? Do we have enough OL guys for that yet?? :)

We have enough, but it might be another year before we start trying anything like that because of the number of true freshmen we have. I absolutely wouldn't mind having two full units, though, even if I doubt the coaches would ever do it.

Yep  undecided.gif

This AJC article says we offered Max Garcia, the Maryland transfer: http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/18/uga-offers-football-scholarship-to-ol-transfer/

Did we?

UGA offers football scholarship to OL transfer

11:23 am February 18, 2012, by Michael Carvell

UGA has offered Max Garcia, the offensive lineman who was granted his release and permission to transfer from Maryland earlier this week.

Garcia, who stands 6-foot-4 ½ and 310 pounds, is an NFL prospect who started all 12 games at left offensive tackle as a sophomore this past season at Maryland.

UGA will have some stiff competition from the Florida Gators for Garcia, who has also been offered by Auburn and Ole Miss. The former Norcross High School standout is also being evaluated by Alabama and South Carolina.

Archived