The John Needham Commentary

King Tiger Tank

http://webpages.charter.net/jcneedham/ky2004.mp3

This commentary is dedicated to the fans who believe in our Auburn Tigers RAIN or SHINE. It’s also dedicated to all those who root for the underdogs, the Seabiscuits of the world and who are underdogs, Seabiscuits, themselves, whom meet and overcome adversity.

Well, War Eagle to great Auburn family across the Nation and the World! My name is John Needham and these are my commentaries! The Kentucky game 2004!

In the world of sports, there is not a more moving moment than the one when the horses step onto the track for the Kentucky Derby post parade and the band strikes up "My Old Kentucky Home".

The Song “My Old Kentucky Home” plays (.WAV)

I don’t know about you but when I think sports and the State of Kentucky, I think about horse racing and not football. I know that have a great basketball program but when I think Kentucky I just think about horsing racing. Why? I have always loved it since I was a little boy. My mother and I would always take time and watch the great races on the TV whenever they came on, especially the Kentucky Derby.

Well, your probably wondering why I’m talking about horse racing when I need to be concentrating on football. Follow my madness for a second.

Let’s step back in the Needham time machine now to yesteryear!

The year is 1938. The country was reeling from the great depression and America needed sometime or someone to believe in: a Hero. Well, Americans found their hero but it wasn’t even a person. It was a racehorse from the west coast. What was the horse’s name? Seabiscuit was his name and for a time this horse captured the nation’s attention. In 1935, as a yearling, Seabiscuit had lost 17 consecutive races but after the colt was purchased by Charles Howard in 1936 things start to change. The horse starts to win, race after race after race and the nation took notice. To quote Laura Hillenbrand, author of Seabiscuit: an American Legend, “Americans wanted a hero that came from the wrong side of the tracks that was beat-up like they were.”

Who was Seabiscuit? Here is an audio clip from the Movie Seabiscuit narrated by David McCullough. The scene is set at night at a race track in California and Tom Smith, the future trainer of Seabiscuit, sees the horse for the very first time.

David McCullough Clip

Seabiscuit had Spirit and talent but he hadn’t found chemistry with the right team to be successful until he found the men who would nurture his potential and drive him to stardom. The men included Charles Howard, the owner, a bicycle repairman turned automobile magnate. Howard, even though, he was successful in business was a broken hearted man. He had lost is one and only son in an automobile accident some years before. Tom Smith, the trainer, was a cowboy at heart and was feeling the lost of the west. Lastly, we have the half blind, failed prize fighter jockey who rode Seabiscuit, “Red” Pollard, who was abandoned at a race track at age 15! My point: all of these men were broken is some way before they met Seabiscuit but afterwards they’re chemistry formed a winning combination!

Let’s step back into the Needham time machine and travel ahead in time to just 11 months ago! Many thought Auburn could have and should have contended for a national championship. We had big time players such as Carlos Dansby, Dontarrious Thomas, and the Cadillac. However a lack lusty offense and a lack of team chemistry lead to Auburn to an average year in 2003. The result: Coach Tuberville nearly became a free agent.

Now, let’s travel ahead to present day. In the off season, Coach Tuberville made a business decision and hired Al Borges from Indiana as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks coach. Hugh Nall went back to his prior position. And now, Jason Campbell is putting up Joe Namath numbers and Auburn is 7-0. Chemistry! This team has found chemistry. It’s also important to note the political and economic climate of the country at this time. We are three weeks away from a US Presidential election and any way you look at, people are fearful right now. Either side is scared for the future economic growth of the country depending on who elected, George Bush or John Kerry. Perhaps these Auburn Tigers will give the country something to believe in to: That nice guy finish first!

In closing I would like to say this. It all comes down to attitude and chemistry. The goal has always been to win the National championship and at 7-0 these Seabiscuits are well on their way. Now, its time to show these Wildcats that Tigers rule the JUNGLE!

War Eagle! War Eagle Forever! Beat Kentucky and Here’s to going 8 and OHHHHHHHHH!

The lyrics to MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME

By Stephen Foster

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,

Tis summer, the people are gay;

The corn-top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom

While the birds make music all the day.

The young folks roll on the little cabin floor

All merry, all happy and bright;

By'n by hard times comes a knocking at the door

Then my old Kentucky home, Good-night!

Weep no more my lady. Oh! Weep no more today!

We will sing one song for my old Kentucky home

For the old Kentucky home, far away.

History and Tradition of "My Old Kentucky Home"

Although there is no definitive history on the playing of the Stephen Foster ballad as a Derby Day tradition it is believed to have had its origin in 1921 for the 47th running of the classic. The Courier-Journal in their May 8, 1921 edition reported, "To the strains of "My Old Kentucky Home" Kentuckians gave vent their delight. For Kentucky triumphed in the Derby." The story refers to the popular victory of the Kentucky-owned and bred Behave Yourself.

The actual year the song was played as the horses were led onto the track is also unclear. A 1929 news account written by the legendary Damon Runyon reported that the song was played periodically throughout Derby Day. A report by the former Philadelphia Public Ledger provides evidence that 1930 may have been the first year the song was played as the horses were led to the post parade - "When the horses began to leave the paddock and the song 'My Old Kentucky Home' was coming from the radio, the cheering started."

Since 1936, with only a few exceptions, the song has been performed by the University of Louisville Marching Band.

The composer of the song, Stephen Foster, died in New York's Bowery district Jan. 10, 1864 at the age of 38.

To honor the composer, Churchill Downs created the Stephen Foster Handicap in 1982. The race for three-year-olds and up at 1 1/8 miles, has grown in popularity and now serves as a Grade II event with a purse of $750,000, the richest stakes at the Downs outside of the Derby.

I love them, I think it's great that he can share his feelings with us. Have YOU ever read or listen to them?

Archived