Shaq Johnson Runner-up in High School Slam Dunk Contest at Final Four in New Orl

JuniorAU

NEW ORLEANS - Auburn basketball signee Shaq Johnson was the runner-up at the American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk Championship that aired nationally on CBS on Sunday from the Alario Center while fellow Tiger signee, Jordan Price, participated in the 3-point contest.

Johnson advanced to the finals by dunking over both Michigan State's Draymond Green and LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers, two of the five judges. On the dunk, CBS announcer Tim Brando said, "I don't believe what I just saw" while analyst Bill Raftery followed with, "That's a multi-billion dollar dunk right there. Tony Barbee has a good one. I'm looking forward to seeing him at Auburn."

The high-flying Johnson did not connect on his difficult dunk attempts in the 60-second final round after scoring perfect scores on his three previous dunks.

Johnson notched a perfect 50 with a 360 windmill jam in the first round and advanced to the semifinals with another perfect 50 as he bounced the ball high into the air and had a reverse two-handed thunder slam.

Price, who attended Southwest DeKalb High in Decatur, Ga., did not advance to the semifinals of the 3-point contest.

Johnson, who attended Milton High in Alpharetta, Ga., was on the 10-man South team that played the North in the All-American Championship at Lakefront Arena on Sunday.on ESPN3.com after the East faced the West in the prior game. Both games will be re-broadcast on Sunday on ESPNU beginning at 8 pm Central with the South vs. North.

I really like having somebody good enough in both the Dunk and the three point contest. Hopefully Price can hit the mid range jumper consistently also.

I really like having somebody good enough in both the Dunk and the three point contest. Hopefully Price can hit the mid range jumper consistently also.

thought i read somewhere that granger has a nice midrange jumper.  if we have tatum solid around the rim for defense and rebounds - shaq for slashing and boards, granger at midrange, price for either 1 or 2 with an outside shot ... gotta love the future.

Archived