So is the jury still out on Bama?

Longtrainn

First of all, let me say that I, along with most people who have watched them play, think that Alabama's defense is very good. But I was checking some stats, and I noticed something:

Here are the offensive rankings (by ypg, out of 117 1-A teams) of the teams who've beaten Alabama this year:

18. Arkansas - 438.83

31. Tennessee - 409.50

51. South Carolina - 377.86

And here are the rankings of the teams Alabama has beaten:

79. Ole Miss - 344.86

101. Southern Miss - 304.20

110. Kentucky - 285.50

114. Utah State - 282.00

Now, I realize that they held most, if not all, of these teams below their season averages, but the fact remains that they haven't beaten a team with an offense ranked in the top 75 yet. They did a great job against UT, but the bottom line is they still didn't win. I realize that their defense is not to blame for most of the losses, but I just thought that was an interesting stat to share.

18. Arkansas - 438.83 333 on bama

31. Tennessee - 409.50 195 on bama

51. South Carolina - 377.86 249 on bama

And here are the rankings of the teams Alabama has beaten:

79. Ole Miss - 344.86 192 on bama

101. Southern Miss - 304.20 171 on bama

110. Kentucky - 285.50 177 on bama

114. Utah State - 282.00 266 on bama

Bama defense is for real. Bama's offense is simple. Stop the run and you win. The defense will keep every game close in the first half. If bama can run the ball, the defense will keep every game close until the fourth quarter. Shula's decision to keep Kines after last year has really paid off. #1 rated defense in the NCAA. The best part is, they only lose two starters.

Back to the topic. Bama will win one more game, and it won't be against AU. At this point, I'm just hoping we can get out of this season with no more injuries.

NOOOOOO...... Bammer's still going to run the table, win the SEC and the MNC; the loss to TN was just a minor setback..... and it was a moral victory anyway. Didn't you hear that Wesley Britt declared that Bammer was the better team after the game?

Better team? I thought that is why they play the games? :D

I hate to represent the voice of reason, but here are the facts:

1. Bama started the season with less talent due to the reduction of scholly's

2. Bama lost their starting QB almost before the season began;

3. They lost their top RB next;

4. They lost their backup QB;

5. They may have lost Castille;

Now, for any person other than a complete idiot Bama fan, the expectations SHOULD have been adjusted and for less. Even Auburn people understand that from the past experiences. My only beef with Bama fans is that some of them refuse to accept VALID REASONS why their Tide has not fared as well and keep their idiotic expectations running rampart. Just an Auburn graduate and Auburn fan's thought. WDE!

Back to the topic.  Bama will win one more game, and it won't be against AU.  At this point, I'm just hoping we can get out of this season with no more injuries.

114183[/snapback]

You make a good point that I have been trying to make to Bama fans for the past couple of weeks. Stats are nice, but they don't win football games. I actually think Bama can beat LSU, so make that 2 more wins for the Tide. Thank you, as a Bama fan, for your realistic outlook.

Guys guys lets calm down...I mean we are the same caliber as Vandy and UK right? We cant be talking too much right now.... (referring to a past radio show caller)

They cant win by only scoring 10pts. Just not going to happen. The D played very good in the UT game. But then agian if the O cant score more 10pts or so in a game, I dont see them winning but maybe one more time this year. As it looks the game with Mississippi State is going to be very tough. BTW great game for SLY, I didnt give them a chance to beat UF. Zook is going to be coaching high school football next year.

Didn't you hear that Wesley Britt declared that Bammer was the better team after the UT game?

114193[/snapback]

I seem to remember a lot of the LSU people, players included, saying the same thing after the AU/LSU game.

Well i kept hearing how our defense was overrated because we hadnt played anyone...

now we have played a team that puts up 400+ yards a game and held them to 10 points and under 200 yards.

You may think we suck...thats fine. Bama's defense is the best you guys will see all season. Auburn may win, but id wait and run my mouth after the ballgame.

Again, doesnt take much for AU fans to get a superiority complex does it?

Win games? Maybe not...but we sure took it to the #11 team in the nation...in their house...minus 2 qbs...minus 1 rb...minus 1 lb...minus one DL...starting CB with a broken hand

lost by 4 points.

the 'they havent played anyone' argument is old and tired.

Didn't you hear that Wesley Britt declared that Bammer was the better team after the UT game?

114193[/snapback]

I seem to remember a lot of the LSU people, players included, saying the same thing after the AU/LSU game.

114447[/snapback]

Well lets see...we beat them in passing, rushing, punting, kick returning...but had a miscue early on that cost us the game...id say we are a better team.

Well lets see...we beat them in passing, rushing, punting, kick returning...but had a miscue early on that cost us the game...id say we are a better team.

But doesn't UT's "miscue" (pick on the Bama 2) balance that out? UT's not very good, but Bama was playing on emotion, not talent. So it's not entirely true to say that Bama is the best team. Or maybe they were just the best team on the field that had been caught cheating and lost most of their offensive starters due to injury. I watched the game, and I saw no dominance on either side. It was just two mediocre programs slugging it out. The difference was the better coaches and players on the orange side of the ball.

c'mon now, bama's a better team? that's like burnett talkin noise post-@$$whuppin this year. "we beat ourselves." give ut a little credit for making the plays necessary to win the game. you were pretty evenly matched, and you could beat them if you played them again. but they were the better team, and they'll finish with the better record.

i think bama's defense will be one of the best we see all year. uga's can play as well as any in the nation. they may give up more yards, but they have so much skill that when they put it together they're great. so i'd say those two are the best we'll see all year.

and it's not a superiority complex (although if anyone in sports would know about that it would be bama and yankee fans) to down the tide. it's simply either payback for hearing folks down auburn all your life or it's a realistic view of a tough situation for the tide. you guys are an incomplete team that probably only has one or two wins left (although i think auburn could easily be one of them... worse teams have won the iron bowl than this year's tide team).

I wouldn't say the better team lost.

But I would say that if the Bamas third play hadn't been a hand off

to the defensive tackle they probably would have won.

Even a prety bad offense should be able to make that improvement.

So is the jury still out on Bama?

No its not. They are a middle of the pack SEC team that will beat the stepsisters and have trouble with decent teams. That's what I said (link) before the season and that's what happening now.

Bama lost to UT by 4.  Pretty much the same thing Ole Miss did with UT.

114471[/snapback]

You are 100% correct. Using bg "logic" that means old miss is the BETTER team! :big:

Bama lost to UT by 4.  Pretty much the same thing Ole Miss did with UT.

114471[/snapback]

You are 100% correct. Using bg "logic" that means old miss is the BETTER team! :big:

114586[/snapback]

No, using Bama logic: If Ole Miss would have had Eli they would have won that game... :blink::roflol:

a classic example of an oxymoron is using the term "bama" and "logic" in the same sentence......if you want to find out how the biological system of an earthworm works,then just dissect a bammer fan....what you will find is that both have an a**hole at each end and nothing much anywhere else......the only difference is that the earthworm does have a tiny little brain

Raven_tiger Posted Today, 07:06 AM

Too bad for Bama. If not for the Brodie injury, they would be 8-0 and in National Title (yet again) contention...

roflol.gif roflol.gif roflol.gif

8-0 would have been great.......but 5-3 without our #1 QB, #1 TB, or #1FB, sounds pretty decent too.

114193[/snapback]

114447[/snapback]

114461[/snapback]

Lets stop all the talk about the better team didnt win. I honestly felt like Bama played a hell of a game. Sometimes other teams just play better (UT came up with big plays at key times). I think Bama will build off of it an might be able to beat LSU and or MSU. I wouldnt put money on it, but I dont think they will roll over and die either. Lets just see how they do with MSU and LSU.

That is what the NCAA intended to happen. They decided that the punishment should fit the crime.

MAYBE this will get the attention of the powers that be and things will settle down. If not, I would hate to see round two of NCAA "punishment." :blink:

Archived