Who will be Florida's next coach?

Boss

Barring a blowout win against Georgia this Saturday, Florida will have a new head coach next year. Who will it be? Here's a look at some of the candidates:

Steve Spurrier: This is the logical choice for Florida. However, it may not be that easy. It has been widely reported that Spurrier will move back to Florida next May when his son graduates from HS. Spurrier is known to be interested in the Miami Dolphins job which will likely be open at year's end. Although money should not be a problem for Florida, Spurrier will likely command in the $3.0 million range.

Bobby Petrino: He's an offensive minded coach who reminds Florida fans of Spurrier. He's proven he can win at this level and can play tough against teams such as Miami. He's coached in Florida (Jacksonville of the NFL) so he has connections there. And besides, he can probably be hired for $1.5 million or so, a bargain compared to Spurrier.

Bob Stoops: He's also a sentimental favorite like Spurrier. But I'll bet he has a substantial buyout clause at Oklahoma. And besides, he's got a very safe job there. I think he's a longshot at least.

Urban Meyer: He's going to be one the hottest coaches at the end of the season. I don't think he will coaching at Utah next year. He would be a good choice for Florida. But they better act quick. I look for him to go early.

Mike Stoops: He's got the name pedigree. But in his first season at Arizona, he's off to a 1-6 start. I think he would be a very, very long shot.

Tommy Tubberville: Don't think for a moment that Florida wouldn't come after CTT. However, I think it would be next to impossible to get CTT to leave Auburn. He has a $3.8 million buyout clause. His wife is very happy in Auburn. And I think he's going to get a nice raise in the $2.2-$2.8 million range.

Paul Finebaum: Why not? He knows more about football than any man that has ever coached the game (just ask him). And you could probably hire him for $300k-$400k.

I just hope they don't come after Borges. I'm not sure he's made a big enough name yet in his first year in the SEC, but it scares me to think what he could do with the talent UF has and can recruit.

I just hope they don't come after Borges.  I'm not sure he's made a big enough name yet in his first year in the SEC, but it scares me to think what he could do with the talent UF has and can recruit.

114274[/snapback]

After the Zook experiment, I doubt they will hire any coach that doesn't have Head Coaching experience.

You Just Got Zooked!!!!!!

Is anyone hearing Charlie Strong's name?

114285[/snapback]

Yes, in vain (see UF message boards). Often his name has colorful adjectives inserted before and after... :blink:

B)

Silver lining or sour grapes?

I watched the game with a Gator friend yesterday. Before and during the game all he wanted was a Florida victory. After Arkansas beat 'em, his tune changed: "I'm so glad that happened. Now we can finally get rid of Zook like we should have a long time ago--this is exactly what I hoped Arksansas would do for us." :lol:

Don't know who their new coach will be, but I say it WON'T be Spurrier, Bob Stoops, Tommy Tubeville, or someone without head coaching experience.

And as an aside: I wager Chizik leaves Auburn before Borges or Tuberville, but hopefully none soon.

I watched the game with a Gator friend yesterday.  Before and during the game all he wanted was a Florida victory.  After Arkansas beat 'em, his tune changed:  "I'm so glad that happened.  Now we can finally get rid of Zook like we should have a long time ago--this is exactly what I hoped Arksansas would do for us."  :lol:

Don't know who their new coach will be, but I say it WON'T be Spurrier, Bob Stoops, Tommy Tubeville, or someone without head coaching experience.

And as an aside:  I wager Chizik leaves Auburn before Borges or Tuberville, but hopefully none soon.

114288[/snapback]

UF beat Arkansas. UF has lost to UT, LSU, and MSU.

I watched the game with a Gator friend yesterday.  Before and during the game all he wanted was a Florida victory.  After Arkansas beat 'em, his tune changed:  "I'm so glad that happened.  Now we can finally get rid of Zook like we should have a long time ago--this is exactly what I hoped Arksansas would do for us."  :lol:

And as an aside:  I wager Chizik leaves Auburn before Borges or Tuberville, but hopefully none soon.

114288[/snapback]

UF beat Arkansas. UF has lost to UT, LSU, and MSU.

114290[/snapback]

Sorry, brain f@rt. You are absolutely right, of course. It was MSU that beat Florida to my friend's dismay--or pleasure.

Arkansas/Georgia was the last game on my mind as I went to bed after a long day of booze and football... ;)

I have a good friend that works quite high within the UF AD department and I talked to him BEFORE this week and I asked him about Spurrier

Basically, he tells me that Foley and Spurrier have gone out and eaten together several times in the last 2 years. Their feud is over. Spurrier won't not come back because of him THOUGH Spurrier did leave because of him (thats just my opinion).

Spurrier may come back but I doubt he even sniffs 3 million. Why make UF pay him that much? Man is a millionaire anyway.

Pride. Pride in the football program that he built, and Zook has dismantled. Pride for his Alma Mater. Spurrier's return would not have anything to do with money. Snyder has made Spurrier (and his family) financially comfortable for a long time to come.

i talked to some folks who work in gainesville and they said the three most common names they've heard are spurrier (obviously), petrino, and meyer. they also said stoops (bob) may get a call, but they aren't going to get burned by him like they did 3 years ago. so i doubt he's really a candidate. i wouldn't be shocked to see them offer petrino. he's got florida experience, nfl experience, sec experience, and limited head coaching experience. personally, i'd love it b/c i really wanna beat the lovin he!! out of one of his teams.

Not sure what the coaches name is from Boise State but I know we looked at him and he runs a wide open attack. He seems to get the most out of less.

Not sure what the coaches name is from Boise State but I know we looked at him and he runs a wide open attack.  He seems to get the most out of less.

114337[/snapback]

Dan Hawkins is the HC at Boise St, Chris Peterson is his OC. Boise State is ranked among the top 5 programs in the country with respect to winning percentage in the last 4 years.

i'd think anyone with southern ties would have a leg up in that race b/c you don't want to lose a recruiting class while bringing in a new coach.

You can't spell moron without Ron. :rolleyes:

Archived