new coach???

hello gang...It's been a while since I have posted, but I have been following Auburn sports. Why want we just go ahead and hire a baseball coach that has a long record on the winning side. We need to spend whatever it takes to get a coach that can have us in the running each year for the SEC title. Thank the Good Lord that we do not take the cheap approach in hiring our football coaches. Who is out there that you think could fill this bill?

Godspeed,

Doc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, for this specific season I put the blame on Pawlowski, but in all honesty the man is a winner. The overall lack of talent at Auburn AND Alabama has more to do with the way our state is run. Shocking I know. Look at all the baseball schools that are really good and find the one over all similarity. It's lottery funded state scholarships. Because baseball in the eyes of the NCAA is a partial scholarship based program, they only have a limit on the number of scholarships they can hand out, not the number of scholarship based players on the team. All the teams that are really successful right now have the majority of their instate players on the lottery scholarship which allows them to give full rides instead of partial rides to out of state kids and kids who wouldn't qualify for the lottery scholarship. Auburn can give out 11 full scholarships worth of money... So can Florida and s.carolina and lsu, but they have upwards of 20 guys on full rides thanks to their state, unless this is either corrected in the NCAA or Alabama adopts an education lottery we will never be able to mount a continuous long standing level of dominance in baseball.

Auburn can give out 11 full scholarships worth of money... So can Florida and s.carolina and lsu, but they have upwards of 20 guys on full rides thanks to their state, unless this is either corrected in the NCAA or Alabama adopts an education lottery we will never be able to mount a continuous long standing level of dominance in baseball"[/color]

No question this is a major issue and I don't see Ala or Miss adopting the lottery any time soon.  For that reason I don't see AU every reaching a level of dominance in the SEC...but it sure is within our capability to at least be competitive .  And certainly we can and should be more than just competitive against teams from the states that do not have the lottery benefits.   Far as I know, schools like Purdue, Missouri, Arizona and the numerous small schools that seem to give us so much trouble have the same scholarship limitations....and perhaps have even fewer scholarships to award.

There is probably a talent issue though when I read the bios of the players we sign, they all sound good...so maybe it's a talent deficit and then failure to develop the talent we sign.   The problems are almost too numersous to name..pitching under pressure (walks, hit batters, wps) and errors of every  kind (fielding throwing, baserunning, etc) and failure to captialize on the hits we get.   Do I recall that we left the bases loaded three times on Sunday?

This is a team in real trouble at the moment and the coach's job is to turn it around.

wow  some one finally gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  great job......hit it right on the nail....AU will never compete year in and year out because of the lack of state funded scholarships....we simply will not adopt it and thats why certain schools remain at a high level year in and year out..JP will get you talent in here and will develop pitchers at a high level and will churn out major leaguers. In fact, his recruiting is so good that many players will go in draft before they hit the field. U honestly have the hardest working coach around, give him a break and let him develop your program.

wow  some one finally gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  great job......hit it right on the nail....AU will never compete year in and year out because of the lack of state funded scholarships....we simply will not adopt it and thats why certain schools remain at a high level year in and year out..JP will get you talent in here and will develop pitchers at a high level and will churn out major leaguers. In fact, his recruiting is so good that many players will go in draft before they hit the field. U honestly have the hardest working coach around, give him a break and let him develop your program.

That's a smart recruiting tactic.

We do seem to be an impatient people. Coach Pawl inherited a very bad team. I really don't know what the answer is. I do expect our baseball program to be better than mediocre at best. I said this in another thread...I am just tired of seeing our team play so fundamentally bad. We get a lead and our pitchers come out and walk batters. Our fielders kick balls around. We just don't do the little things, that win games for you, well at all. There really is no reason we can't put a quality team on the field every 3 to 4 years.    :dunno:

Ron Polk but I am for giving Coach Pawlowski a couple more years. 

A couple as in 2 or maybe more?

I vote for giving him one more year.  Our only great year with him came from players he did not recruit

Ok help me out here. In football, if you are D1 prospect and go to school on something other than a football scholarship (academic, swimming, etc) it was counted against the scholarship numbers in football. I know baseball hands out partials and pieces of scholarships why wouldn't this same rule apply? Or does it? I don't know if I buy into the lottery state theory, because I think most of the guys on Auburn team were recruited by a lot of D1 teams.

I think Paw has had plenty of opportunity. A lot of frustration comes from things that seem to be coachable: poor fielding and decision making; poor base running, extremely average game day coaching. He was a questionable hire in a lot of minds. Now we see why. Time to go.

I think he deserves one more season. However my patience is fading with every loss... This is his 4th season. And I still see the same core mistakes being made in our program. When you watch us play you don't see a well coached team. Baserunning mistakes, costly errors, walks, and the lack of execution on offense. He also seems to struggle managing the pitching. He will leave the starters in there too long and get pounded. Very frustrating....

Do you know coach p? Because you seem to be very harsh against people that haven't thought highly of him. I think he is a good guy and works his tail off but he needs to prove that he can coach this team at a high level on a consistent basis. 2010 is the only season we truly accomplished anything and that was with Slater's players.... And I'm sorry but recruiting kids that get drafted and leave does not help the program at all. I hope he gets this thing turned around but the last 2 seasons we have witnesses 2 bigtime slumps....

I think he deserves more time, and this year I directly place the blame on CJP, but to answer the question about counting scholarships, because they can give out partials, the only number that matters is that the total money a school devotes toward baseball is 11 total scholarships split up however you want. But lottery funded scholarships aren't done through the school they are done through the state and because there is no NCAA legislation against the use of other scholarships allowed on the baseball team as long as they are "legal" scholarships then it's ok. So if a really good baseball player who just happens to be really smart, he can get an academic scholarship and still play baseball. Confusing isn't it?

Why couldn't we just insure that "academic scholarships" were available through non school sources such as private groups etc. Organizations all over the state that provide scholarships and not through the school.

The point is, I just don't think we are at a disadvantage. Lottery scholarships would only apply to in-state students any way.

I think the guy has done a below average job. Four years is plenty.

Why couldn't we just insure that "academic scholarships" were available through non school sources such as private groups etc. Organizations all over the state that provide scholarships and not through the school.

The point is, I just don't think we are at a disadvantage. Lottery scholarships would only apply to in-state students any way.

I think the guy has done a below average job. Four years is plenty.

Exactly! Lottery scholarships apply only to instate guys, so all instate recruits that qualify go on the lottery scholarship leaving those 11 baseball scholarships untouched. This means more full rides can be offered to out of state kids. Hence putting us at a disadvantage.

I think he deserves one more season. However my patience is fading with every loss... This is his 4th season. And I still see the same core mistakes being made in our program. When you watch us play you don't see a well coached team. Baserunning mistakes, costly errors, walks, and the lack of execution on offense. He also seems to struggle managing the pitching. He will leave the starters in there too long and get pounded. Very frustrating....

Spot on

I just don't see a whole lot to write home about to make me believe we should hang on to him another year. 

I dont keep up with baseball and dont know Coach Paw but my nephew played for him at The College of Charleston. The players and parents were not big fans.

BTW The CoC recently beat South Carolina.

I have no inside knowledge of the baseball program.  This season has honestly played out similar to how I expected.  We didn't have that much talent coming into the season, so an up and down season was to be expected.  One thing that is encouraging to me is we have some of the best young pitching (Koger, Kendall, Cochran Gill, McCord, Williamson) I have ever seen Auburn have.  I've been following the program since 2000.  Now Auburn has never been able to develop pitchers so if these guys don't show improvement from this year to next I would be up for firing CJP, but I really like the young talent we have.

Also, we have fired our last 2 coaches (Renfroe and Slater) after 4 seasons.  I don't want to see Auburn become the team that fires coaches after 4 seasons.  Pawlowski was also pedestrian for his first 4 seasons at C of C, then made his first tournament in year 5 and I believe made 4 or 5 tournaments in a row, so he has shown (although at a much smaller scale) how his plan works and I hope we don't miss out on it because we were impatient.

I have no inside knowledge of the baseball program.  This season has honestly played out similar to how I expected.  We didn't have that much talent coming into the season, so an up and down season was to be expected.  One thing that is encouraging to me is we have some of the best young pitching (Koger, Kendall, Cochran Gill, McCord, Williamson) I have ever seen Auburn have.  I've been following the program since 2000.  Now Auburn has never been able to develop pitchers so if these guys don't show improvement from this year to next I would be up for firing CJP, but I really like the young talent we have.

Also, we have fired our last 2 coaches (Renfroe and Slater) after 4 seasons.  I don't want to see Auburn become the team that fires coaches after 4 seasons.  Pawlowski was also pedestrian for his first 4 seasons at C of C, then made his first tournament in year 5 and I believe made 4 or 5 tournaments in a row, so he has shown (although at a much smaller scale) how his plan works and I hope we don't miss out on it because we were impatient.

The point after 4 years is that it is your players, your system. You own it as a coach. I also believe that you have to look at where the program was when you started and where you are at the end of 4 years. The issue/complaint is that there seems to be no overall improvement. His teams are not sound fundamentally and his game day decision making is suspect at best. The pitching may be young and have potential but every player that comes in should have potential.

He took maybe the best hitting team in AU history (2 years ago) and could absolutely crush the ball and did nothing with it. I think that speaks to some of his abilities.

4 years is plenty in this day and age. Especially with the cost of college athletics. AU has been patient. If there were positive trends I could see another year, but I do not think so.

I would not want to see Coach P go, atleast not yet. I'm frustrated like the rest of you at the walks and poor defense. Heck, even Rod said on the radio broadcast this weekend that he had never seen an Auburn team play consistently bad defense like this one. That absolutely cannot continue.

But, I want to see if Coach P can bring this recruiting class to campus. It's loaded.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021412aab.html

Dahl and Russell are potential 1st Rounders. I know kids ranked that high rarely make it to college but if they do, this could be a completely different team next year.

kbtiger15,  don't understand the comment about Auburn never producing pitchers.  We have sent nine (9) to the major leagues since 2000. We currently have two  pitchers on the active rosters,  Hudson @ Atlanta and Crawford @ Tronto.  However, the last Auburn team to send a pticher was 2005, and I have no idea what that means about Auburn pitcher development since 2005.

So where were all these "lottery funded scholarships" excuses in the mid-to-late '90s when we were a power under Baird and were making it to the CWS? Folks, talent isn't the basis of the problem here. JP has recruited well, and he has his best class coming in next yr. The guy's coaching simply isn't getting it done at this level. Stop with all the excuses.

If we aren't vastly improved next yr, he needs to go.

Auburn was picked to finish 6th in the SEC West in the preseason.  With the lack of returning starters, I don't think anybody had Auburn in the top #25 preseason.  This is a hold serve type of year that if Auburn makes the SEC tournament and the NCAA, but loses early,  I will still be satisfied.  Next year the team should be stronger and will be in a better position to go on a deep run into the NCAA.  I don't think a coaching change will be helpful at this point. IMO.

All Auburn has to do is sneak into the SEC Tournament with a winning record and they will get into the NCAA Tournament.  I wouldn't be quick to give up on the team yet for 2012.

Auburn was picked to finish 6th in the SEC West in the preseason.  With the lack of returning starters, I don't think anybody had Auburn in the top #25 preseason.  This is a hold serve type of year that if Auburn makes the SEC tournament and the NCAA, but loses early,  I will still be satisfied.  Next year the team should be stronger and will be in a better position to go on a deep run into the NCAA.  I don't think a coaching change will be helpful at this point. IMO.

All Auburn has to do is sneak into the SEC Tournament with a winning record and they will get into the NCAA Tournament.  I wouldn't be quick to give up on the team yet for 2012.

That is exactly the problem. It's a hold serve/rebuilding year every year. This is CJP's 4th year. Meaning this is almost entirely his team. I think that point of view speaks to his recruiting ability and or his player development skills. It's always wait til next year. We'll be ok next year. We should be contenders next year. It's getting old in a hurry.

Archived