Should we run up score

AU4Ever

Lot of talk about the Stoops deliberately scoring with less than a minute against KU. Although the Sooners had the game won, he wanted to impress the voters. Contrast that to CTT playing 2nd teamers in the second quarter against Kentucky. I realize this was probably our last game where we had an opportunity to run up the score. But should we score big or should we give the reserves experience?

IMO, we should look to the future. Running up the score impresses no one but the team that does it. I think CTT did the right thing, and has all season long. There were plenty of opportunities to score big, but we now have many reserves with much playing time, which can and has made us a stronger team going into the 4th QTR.

No need to run up the score on a hapless team unless it's a payback. Getting 2nd and 3rd teamers experience will pay off in the long run.

After watching Nebraska run it up so many times over the years it is sweet to see them getting their due.

Get the experience. We saw this when Ingle went out. We need the backups ready to go with as much experience as they can get.

I agree. The game experience will pay off in a big way later down the road. We may need those guys this year.

Just win, baby!

BEAT OLE MISS

BEAT THE !@#$ OUT OF UGA!

BEAT THE !@#% OUT OF UAT

BEAT THE SEC EAST WHINNER!!

NCAA TITLE MAY BE IN OUR SCOPE IF WE DO THESE THINGS!

:rolleyes:

I would say do both. Put the second string in to get experience, but don't hold them back merely by running up the middle. You don't get too much experience just by killing the clock, especially for the QB. Don't get me wrong, you should run a whole bunch of high risk plays with the starters, but let them play ball. As for running up the score, I don't think it's right to keep your starters in just for the sake of scoring, but if their first team D can't stop our 2nd or 3rd string O - that's their fault.

Play the second stringers and let them run the offense, but don't tack on points in the final minute passing just to run the score up. Act like you been there before and take the knee.

I would say do both.  Put the second string in to get experience, but don't hold them back merely by running up the middle.  You don't get too much experience just by killing the clock, especially for the QB.  ...

114508[/snapback]

Absolutely. There is no substitute for actual game experience. The 2nd/3rd stringers should be working on execution no matter what the play. And the coaches need to chew them out on the sideline just as if the game was on the line. Make it count for something.

I say get the experience. You're only as strong as your weakest link. It's good to do regular maintenance to insure your links are in top condition.

There is also that "Karma" thing to deal with when you run up the score.

If you just focus on the game at hand and winning, the rest will fall into place.

Ok, I am through with the coach speak for now!

I say let them get the experience, but make sure they run the offense, like it's a tie game. If they score, they score. I'd much rather have our AD apoloize to another school's AD for hanging 60 on them, than have our coach get on the radio show after the game and apologize to us for losing a game.

Note, this doesn't mean I advocate scoring with 30 seconds left. Just if we pull our starters in the middle of the 3rd, let the offense run a few series. If you get the ball back midway through the 4th, I don't mind letting them run the clock out.

Both! I think that we are talented enough to do both...and we NEED to do both. We need to impress the pollsters, and we need to get ready for next year. That is what good programs do...so that they "reload" every year. :au:

I would say do both.  Put the second string in to get experience, but don't hold them back merely by running up the middle.  You don't get too much experience just by killing the clock, especially for the QB.  ...

114508[/snapback]

Absolutely. There is no substitute for actual game experience. The 2nd/3rd stringers should be working on execution no matter what the play. And the coaches need to chew them out on the sideline just as if the game was on the line. Make it count for something.

114521[/snapback]

I agree.

As for the polls, I firmly believe the way to "impress" pollsters is to show up in the Top-5 year after year...and you do that by working for the future and getting game experience for your young guys.

USC, Oklahoma, & Miami are not ahead of us because they're better or they've shown more this season. They are ahead of us because they perennially start at the top and pollsters lean toward them out of habit. Let's play our young people so we can have years of excellence, then the pollster will think of us as one of those perennial powers.

I agree that CTT is doing the right thing letting the 2nd & 3rd string play. The backup center was snapping low in the shotgun formation, and it was because he was getting the #^*#$ knocked out of him as soon as he let go of the ball. Got to be in a real game to experience that. He was called over to the sideline a few times between plays and during time outs where he got some "encouragement" and instruction from the coach. He improved during the game, and I believe we have a solid 2nd string center now.

Although my son had calculated that with AU winning 21 - 0 with 4:20 remaining in the 1st quarter we should win 118-0 and impress the polls, it was obviously time to let the other guys play.

Glad to see that #25 was taking the punts all through the 2nd half. He did well, learned a bit about running north and south, and we had no risk of getting Carnell injured.

Injuries late in the season ruin great seasons. While the 1st string has earned the right to play ball, I'm very happy to see how healthy our running backs and quarterback are this late in the year.

War Eagle!

Definitely let the 2nd and 3rd string team get experience. And as we can see, it's alerady paying off. What if Ross hadn't already played in games this season when he had to step in Saturday? It could've been disastreous. We need to keep doing what we are doing and everything will work out fine!

I am impressed that the average football obsessed poster here has the sane view of the point being made. We need the experience. Look at LSU. They should have been playing the second stringers. They would be playing better this year.

Handing off on straight dives isn't giving BC much experience. It doesn't look like the O-line is getting much better (2's and 3's) because the 2 & 3 backs are taking a beating. Let them run the regular offense, and if they score, fine.

I do think we need to run up the scores some, IF POSSIBLE, these last few games(hopefully we will be in a position to do this).

Bringing back an older thread here, but this article from today's Birmingham News has some relevant comments:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...68858252570.xml

"The good thing about it is they've been very, very healthy, and they've played a lot of second- and third-teamers," Sherrill said. "That helps every day in practice and it helps getting ready to play, and they look right now as the team in the conference. They're playing the most consistent."

Tuberville and Sherrill found common ground there.

Tuberville, for example, said he didn't expect much disruption Saturday when Steven Ross starts at center for the injured Jeremy Ingle.

"When you have an opportunity to win championships, you reload," Tuberville said, "In the past, this would have been a major problem. But this is not a problem now. We feel good about it.

"Our offensive coaches and all of our players have a lot of confidence in all the guys that go into the game no matter who's playing."

Auburn has been able to use players early and often, primarily because of early first-half scoring fests. The Tigers have played 84 players in all, including 74 against The Citadel and Louisiana Tech and even 71 against Kentucky last week.

Auburn has even held out players who have been hurt that could have played, including linebacker Kevin Sears, who missed last week's game because of a shoulder injury. But it wasn't that bad.

The resting of Sears, some offensive linemen and even defensive linemen are new luxuries that played out last Saturday.

"Most of our defensive line played only about 30 snaps, and that's half a ball game," Tuberville said.

Most seasons, Tuberville said, defensive linemen have been asked to play virtually every play in close games. Offensive linemen rarely came out at all. But halftime leads of 30-7 (Arkansas), 31-3 (Tennessee) and 24-0 (Louisiana Tech) have allowed more players to play and let regulars rest for a late-season push.

"We should be pretty rested," Tuberville said.

It's not just experience for next year or avoiding major injuries--it provides immediate help this year and has us rested and primed for the last-of-the-season push ahead.

Lot of talk about the Stoops deliberately scoring with less than a minute against KU.  Although the Sooners had the game won, he wanted to impress the voters.  Contrast that to CTT playing 2nd teamers in the second quarter against Kentucky.  I realize this was probably our last game where we had an opportunity to run up the score.  But should we score big or should we give the reserves experience?

IMO, we should look to the future.  Running up the score impresses no one but the team that does it.  I think CTT did the right thing, and has all season long.  There were plenty of opportunities to score big, but we now have many reserves with much playing time, which can and has made us a stronger team going into the 4th QTR.

114449[/snapback]

Playing the 2nd team players is very smart. Most of those guys next year will start for Auburn. Talent is good, but nothing makes up for actual game experience.

I agree with the majority, let the 2nd and 3rd teamers play and get the experience. A lot of injuries take place as a player's body gets tired. No sense taking chances with starters and besides it's a team game and you never know when one of these pups is gonna get thrown in to the fire because of injury, illness, whatever.

CTT's rotation of the Dline has been great this year and has allowed our guys to be ready for the stretch run.

Beating the snot out of people just because you can, may even hurt you with some voters. It's all a crapshoot anyway.

I'm not one to look ahead but if we win all our games that we're scheduled to play in between now and January, I'll take whatever ranking the powers that be bestow upon us and be happy.

Let me also add that if we did go undefeated and didnt win the MNC I will ignore forever anyone who wants to post a thread that we were screwed out of the MNC because CTT didnt pile it on the weaker teams when we could have.

These same folks would be screaming bloody murder if JC, CW, RB or another star player was seriously injured during one of these bloodlettings late in the game while we were trying to impress pollsters.

No need to run up the score. We need to keep everyone heathly and give some other players some playing time. Ole Miss will be ready to play us. We have a huge target on our back. This is a night game in oxford and we are gonna have to be ready to play..

WAR EAGLE

Archived