Did MSU and Croom help our SOS

aumoore

Does anyone know if MSU beating UF helps Auburn's Strength of Schedule? Since we do not play UF and will probably not play them in the SECCG I would say MSU beating UF helps us a lot.

I hope MSU wins out.

Beat Old Miss.

Does anyone know if MSU beating UF helps Auburn's Strength of Schedule?  Since we do not play UF and will probably not play them in the SECCG I would say MSU beating UF helps us a lot.

I hope MSU wins out.

Beat Old Miss.

114529[/snapback]

On a grand scale -- no. MSU has 4 games left of which they might win 2. Assuming this happens, MSU finishes 4-7. The UF win raises them up from being a 3-8 team. The difference is too small to make any appreciable difference.

Just as an aside: this is another prime reason for getting rid of the BCS. The upset win of MSU over UF was surprising & very entertaining to cfb fans everywhere. However, to think that this game could somehow have a direct bearing on whether AU would play in the Orange Bowl is just mind-boggling to me.

Strength of Schedule has been taken out of the new formula for BCS. So this does not really effect anything except the MSU program. This win should give them a good boost.

Congrats :msu: .

Actually, the computer polls have W-L records in their calculations, but SOS is not a separate %point in the overall BCS formula. SOS still helps.

It is a wash.

MSU helped us and hurt UT, which hurts us in the long run.

Move on. (not a jab, someone above us needs to lose period for us to move up)

I don't know a lot about the voting process, but I doubt that many of the voters really do their homework before submitting their vote. How many would take the time to go back and look at the schedules of every team they are voting for, then look at the W/L of the opposing teams. They probably just look at the final results of their list from last week, see if they won or lost, and adjust it to reflect the results.

Nothing is really going to help our SOS from here on out, except uga beating gt and fla beating free shoes. The rest of the games end up being a wash, b/c it's just SEC teams beating up SEC teams.

Archived