A look at Bama's Defense

AURainman

BamaGrad. I salute your loyalty to your team, but I read earlier where you said that we have yet to face a defense like Bama's this year. Tooting your horn QUITE a bit my friend. So... I pulled these stats from their respective school statistic websites. These are total offense vs. total defense allowed for AU/Bama/LSU. LSU, because they are the only team that has shown any defensive prowess against our O this year.

......................................AU............Opp

TOTAL OFFENSE................. 3470 1949

Total Plays................. 531 487

Average Per Play............ 6.5 4.0

Average Per Game............ 433.8 243.6

.......................................Bama.........Opp

TOTAL OFFENSE................. 2587 1579

Total Plays................. 458 401

Average Per Play............ 5.6 3.9

Average Per Game............ 369.6 225.6

.......................................LSU..........Opp

TOTAL OFFENSE................. 2834 1763

Total Plays................. 498 434

Average Per Play............ 5.7 4.1

Average Per Game............ 404.9 251.9

So, I guess your right. We've not seen a defense anywhere close to the almighty Tide. Accept of course for OUR defense and LSU's defense. And yes, I'd say 100 of those plays on Defense were with no one from the first team.

LSU held you guys to 3 points almost the entire game. Bama has a better defense than LSU. I'll take that any day of the week.

yeah, bammer has a pretty good defense......what if AU had played the starters for the entire length of every game?.....bammer should be good defensively.....with their offense, the defense gets a lot of playing time

In terms of statistical data, the best way of comparing the numbers is looking at each defense and it's production comapred to what each given opponent was averaging.

For example, Alabama's D held Utah State to 17 pts and 266 yards. For the season, Utah State is averaging 17 pts per game and 282 yards per game.

After 8 games, Alabama's defense has held their opponent to -115.5 yards below their opponent's average on offense. In terms of scoring, Bama's D has held their opponents to -9.6 pts less than what their opponents have averaged.

Auburn's defense has held their opponent's to -93.5 yards and -12 pts less than what their opponents have averaged. Though Alabama has the edge in yards allowed, Auburn has the edge in points allowed.

One must also consider that Auburn has benched their starters on defense by the 4th period in 7 of their 8 games. The starters were also benched by halftime in 5 of their 8 games. On the other hand, Alabama has played their starters on defense in 3 complete games and the majority of 6 games. before Brodie Croyle was injured, he played the majority of their first three games. Of the 9 TD's allowed by the Auburn defense, 7 were scored after the game had already been decided. LSU's and Arkansas ( stretch ) TD's were scored before the game was decided.

Alabama has a good defense but I believe the above data indicates that Auburn has the better defense.

WDE

with their offense, the defense gets a lot of playing time

114603[/snapback]

Using this logic, bama's defense should be worse. The longer they are on the field, the more tired they get. The more tired they get, the easier it is to put big numbers on them.

I haven't seen anyone say Bama's defense is better than AU's. Why do you guys lead that way every time a post comes up about the defense.

114603[/snapback]

Using this logic, bama's defense should be worse. The longer they are on the field, the more tired they get. The more tired they get, the easier it is to put big numbers on them.

I haven't seen anyone say Bama's defense is better than AU's. Why do you guys lead that way every time a post comes up about the defense.

114608[/snapback]

No one said anything about how tired a defense was in a game. :no: Fatigue is not a factor in this equation, nor can it even be factored into the equation. :no: That is just like a bummer! Everytime you show them how wrong they are, they come up with some new, twisted way of trying to right themselves. :lol:

It really is tough to compare the two when the games have gone so differently. Yes, many of the points scored this year against AU's defense have come well after the game was over and the 2nd and 3rd stringers were in. To be somewhat fair, several of the early games Bama played against Utah State and Western Carolina were blowouts and I'm sure some yardage was given up late there as well.

Bottom line for me is getting the W when the clock runs out. WDE

114603[/snapback]

114608[/snapback]

No one said anything about how tired a defense was in a game. :no: Fatigue is not a factor in this equation, nor can it even be factored into the equation. :no: That is just like a bummer! Everytime you show them how wrong they are, they come up with some new, twisted way of trying to right themselves. :lol:

114613[/snapback]

When a defense is down scholly's and has to play the entire game, they tend to get tired. If you watch football, you would know this. To say that the defense should be better because they spend all game on the field is absurd. Also, the more time on the field would equal to more plays being ran on them which would also mean more yards against them.

If you really don't think fatigue factors into a defense getting ran all over, there is no point to respond to you anyways. I don't think anyone that watches football is that dumb, so you must be simply trying to get a rise out of me. If you don't think a defense gets tired and allows more yards from playing the entire game, go back and watch last years LSU/AU game.

114603[/snapback]

114608[/snapback]

And here is BamaGrad's smacktalk about our defense. Granted, he apparently is getting really tired of our Bamabashing, but still....

Well i kept hearing how our defense was overrated because we hadnt played anyone...

now we have played a team that puts up 400+ yards a game and held them to 10 points and under 200 yards.

You may think we suck...thats fine. Bama's defense is the best you guys will see all season. Auburn may win, but id wait and run my mouth after the ballgame.

Again, doesnt take much for AU fans to get a superiority complex does it?

Win games? Maybe not...but we sure took it to the #11 team in the nation...in their house...minus 2 qbs...minus 1 rb...minus 1 lb...minus one DL...starting CB with a broken hand

lost by 4 points.

the 'they havent played anyone' argument is old and tired.

114460[/snapback]

114603[/snapback]

114608[/snapback]

And here is BamaGrad's smacktalk about our defense. Granted, he apparently is getting really tired of our Bamabashing, but still....

Well i kept hearing how our defense was overrated because we hadnt played anyone...

now we have played a team that puts up 400+ yards a game and held them to 10 points and under 200 yards.

You may think we suck...thats fine. Bama's defense is the best you guys will see all season. Auburn may win, but id wait and run my mouth after the ballgame.

Again, doesnt take much for AU fans to get a superiority complex does it?

Win games? Maybe not...but we sure took it to the #11 team in the nation...in their house...minus 2 qbs...minus 1 rb...minus 1 lb...minus one DL...starting CB with a broken hand

lost by 4 points.

the 'they havent played anyone' argument is old and tired.

114460[/snapback]

114623[/snapback]

I seen that, but all he said was bama's defense is the best you guys will see. You don't get to face your own defense, so I think it's a valid statement.

I guess the best thing is to wait a couple of weeks and see for sure on Nov. 20th.

114603[/snapback]

114608[/snapback]

114613[/snapback]

When a defense is down scholly's and has to play the entire game, they tend to get tired. If you watch football, you would know this. To say that the defense should be better because they spend all game on the field is absurd. Also, the more time on the field would equal to more plays being ran on them which would also mean more yards against them.

If you really don't think fatigue factors into a defense getting ran all over, there is no point to respond to you anyways. I don't think anyone that watches football is that dumb, so you must be simply trying to get a rise out of me. If you don't think a defense gets tired and allows more yards from playing the entire game, go back and watch last years LSU/AU game.

114620[/snapback]

You need to stop "Kerrying" around with this topic. I said fatigue cannot be factored in. Either your defense is on the field or not. Don't start making excuses. There is NO doubt that if Auburn's #1 defense played the entire game, their numbers would be the best in the country. But, the bottom line is: I would rather have the 8 wins, than UAT's "#1" defense. How many points did Arky score on you guys? What about UT? How many will LSU hang on you? Can you hold LSU to 9? My gosh, :usc: hung 20 something on your "#1" defense didn't they?

.....bammer should be good defensively.....with their offense, the defense gets a lot of playing time

114603[/snapback]

Actually, if you look at the stats I posted, we've played more downs on defense than Bama and still have comparable yards/play.

114603[/snapback]

114608[/snapback]

114613[/snapback]

114620[/snapback]

You need to stop "Kerrying" around with this topic. I said fatigue cannot be factored in. Either your defense is on the field or not. Don't start making excuses. There is NO doubt that if Auburn's #1 defense played the entire game, their numbers would be the best in the country. But, the bottom line is: I would rather have the 8 wins, than UAT's "#1" defense. How many points did Arky score on you guys? What about UT? How many will LSU hang on you? Can you hold LSU to 9? My gosh, :usc: hung 20 something on your "#1" defense didn't they?

114630[/snapback]

This response is a joke. How can fatigue NOT be factored in if the defense is on the field the entire game. I'm not talking about 1st string/2nd string. A person made a post earlier saying that as bad as UA's offense has been, bama's defense should be good from all the time they spend on the field.

Interesting that you used the FIRST game and not the last game Alabama's defense played.

Against Tennessee we allowed -196 and -15.9 in yards and scoring respectively.

As a matter of fact, Auburn gave up more yards to La Monroe than we did to UT. over 40 yards more. but those type of comparisions are hard to judge.

in our 1 common opponent, we gave up over 100 fewer yards and the same amount of points. but ill give you the fact that your starters didnt play the whole game. so id call it a draw.

i will point out that we have a 10 man rotation on dline that you will see in the 1st quarter.

And i dont know where the -9 points came from... but heres what i have

utah state - 16.9 (17)

Western Carolina - 23.4 (0)

Ole Miss - 22 (7)

Arkansas - 31.9 (27)

south carolina - 22.6 (20)

UK - 14.9 (17)

Southern Miss - 28.2 (3)

Tennessee - 25.9 (10)

Avg ppg: 23.23 (12.65)

You probably factored in the 7 we gave up on the fumble against UT.

Still pretty close. But if you think about 21 of the points our defense gave up...they were related to offensive situations. The last TD against arkansas was crap. We had to go for it on 4th down because we were down by 10. Didnt get it. They got the ball on the 20, could have take three knees...but started bombing it to the end zone. Crap pass interference call on third down gave them the ball on the 2. The two tds we gave up against SC were because of bad bad bad ints that gave them the ball inside the 20. Since that game, we have only thrown two ints and they were both in the opponents red zone.

Also remember that the only TD scored against us in the UT game was after a bad punt got returned 44 yards to our 29. (im not saying it didnt count...im just saying they only had one solid drive all day, and it resulted in an INT)

So to assume our D doesnt compare to AU's or LSU's is wrong IMO. (you didnt say that stat...so im not pointing at ya)

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem going into a big game with either defense. You know you'll be in whatever game you play. I wouldn't take anything for the way our defensive ends are playing right now though. Predator, Q, Langenfeld and Gunn are blowing up. Statistics or not, I wouldn't take any group in the country over these guys.

I'd say Bama's defense will be one of the best we've faced all year. One thing I would say is that I think UGA's defense needs to be factored in here too.

It's tough to look at what we did against LSU versus how we'll play in a few weeks though because 1) the LSU game was early when we were still getting our feet wet in a new offense system and 2)the LSU game was much more of a mental thing for this team because of how we got shellacked last year by them and because they were the defending national champs. I bet if we played them this week, we'd beat LSU by two TDs.

Interesting that you used the FIRST game and not the last game Alabama's defense played.

Against Tennessee we allowed -196 and -15.9 in yards and scoring respectively.

As a matter of fact, Auburn gave up more yards to La Monroe than we did to UT. over 40 yards more. but those type of comparisions are hard to judge.

in our 1 common opponent, we gave up over 100 fewer yards and the same amount of points. but ill give you the fact that your starters didnt play the whole game. so id call it a draw.

i will point out that we have a 10 man rotation on dline that you will see in the 1st quarter.

And i dont know where the -9 points came from... but heres what i have

utah state - 16.9 (17)

Western Carolina - 23.4 (0)

Ole Miss - 22 (7)

Arkansas - 31.9 (27)

south carolina - 22.6 (20)

UK - 14.9 (17)

Southern Miss - 28.2 (3)

Tennessee - 25.9 (10)

Avg ppg: 23.23 (12.65)

You probably factored in the 7 we gave up on the fumble against UT.

Still pretty close. But if you think about 21 of the points our defense gave up...they were related to offensive situations. The last TD against arkansas was crap. We had to go for it on 4th down because we were down by 10. Didnt get it. They got the ball on the 20, could have take three knees...but started bombing it to the end zone. Crap pass interference call on third down gave them the ball on the 2. The two tds we gave up against SC were because of bad bad bad ints that gave them the ball inside the 20. Since that game, we  have only thrown two ints and they were both in the opponents red zone.

Also remember that the only TD scored against us in the UT game was after a bad punt got returned 44 yards to our 29. (im not saying it didnt count...im just saying they only had one solid drive all day, and it resulted in an INT)

So to assume our D doesnt compare to AU's or LSU's is wrong IMO. (you didnt say that stat...so im not pointing at ya)

114648[/snapback]

Well, since your splitting hairs....

We gave up 14 against MSU because we didn't play a single player with game experience with about 20:00 left in the game. And we put Brandon Cox in who fumbled with about 1:00 left. (14 points that dont count).

Against Arkansas, Cox threw an INT that was returned to the 5 yard line. (6 points that dont count).

Against UK, we fumbled on our own 20. We stopped them for no gain. FG made. (3 points that dont count).

So, just in those 3 games, I can shave off 23 points if you get to shave off the rest of those.

And by the way, Which ONE common opponent are you getting to recognize? I count 3 common opponents, but you have only analyzed one. Which is it?

I agree Titan. Not to take anything away from Troy, but LSU's offense looked absolutely inept. How many times can you run the same slip-screen play? The better QB on the field was Troy's freshman making his first start. LSU looks like they're getting worse as the season goes along.

.....bammer should be good defensively.....with their offense, the defense gets a lot of playing time

114603[/snapback]

Actually, if you look at the stats I posted, we've played more downs on defense than Bama and still have comparable yards/play.

114633[/snapback]

That's what I'm saying. Defenses are rated by yards per game. If UA's defense was on the field for huge amounts of time, as someone stated, there would be more yards piled up against bama. That would increase the yards per game allowed, which is how most people rank total defense.

My point, although I went completely around it trying to prove it, is this.

Possession times for UA and opponents.

UA32:44 Utah state27:16

UA37:14 Ole Miss22:48

UA35:11 Western Car.24:49

UA31:16 Arkansas28:44

UA26:00 South Car.34:00

UA41:50 Kentucky18:55

UA34:31 Southern Miss.25:29

UA33:56 Tennessee26:40

Bama's defense has NOT been on the field as much as someone implied earlier. If they were, more yards would have been piled up on them.

Rainman...why do you insist on comparing your defense to ours? That wasnt what i said originally...i said UA is the best defense Auburn will face this year.

You cant put YOUR defense in there also. If that were the case, our offense should be considered awesome because we see a great defense everyday in practice as well.

But just for fun: (all three common opponents...sorry for the ommissions)

Arkansas - 337 yards 20 points

Tennessee - 293 yards 10 points

Kentucky - 110 yards 10 points

247 yards 13 points

Arkansas - 333 27 points (with healthy matt jones and their fullback)

UK - 177 yards 17 points

Tenn - 195 yards 10 points

235 yards 18 points

Looks REALLY close if you ask me

Facing our d in a game is a lot different than facing yours in practice.

Why so much talk about uat's defense? Who cares? Are uaters trying to salvage something-anything by saying they think their defense is better than AU's?

THAT is the state of football in west al.?

Wow ! ! ! :blink:

Here are the stats of all three common opponents, from the defense standpoint.

UA

first downs 40

total yards 709

pass comp 24

pass att 52

pass yards 354

ypa 6.8

rush att 111

rush yards 351

ypr 3.2

3rd down 6-32

4th down 2-2

scoring 61

AU

first downs 46

total yards 740

pass comp 46

pass att 95

pass yards 468

ypa 4.9

rush att 96

rush yards 272

ypr 2.8

3rd down 11-41

4th down 3-6

scoring 40

I didn't shave any points. We could do that all day, but it would get no where. Bottom line is this.....

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem going into a big game with either defense. You know you'll be in whatever game you play.
. Both AU and UA have great d.

Why so much talk about uat's defense? Who cares? Are uaters trying to salvage something-anything by saying they think their defense is better than AU's?

THAT is the state of football in west al.?

Wow ! ! ! :blink:

114685[/snapback]

Actually no. I think it's the other way around. It's hard to imagine that with the depth problems UA has, their defense is as good as the Tigers defense.

Rainman...why do you insist on comparing your defense to ours? That wasnt what i said originally...i said UA is the best defense Auburn will face this year.

You cant put YOUR defense in there also. If that were the case, our offense should be considered awesome because we see a great defense everyday in practice as well.

But just for fun: (all three common opponents...sorry for the ommissions)

Arkansas - 337 yards 20 points

Kentucky - 110 yards 10 points

247 yards 13 points

UK - 177 yards 17 points

235 yards 18 points

Looks REALLY close if you ask me

Facing our d in a game is a lot different than facing yours in practice.

114682[/snapback]

Well, the real reason I insist is that it drives you up a wall!!! We love you here BG, but it wouldn't be AU if we didnt :poke: every once and a while. You were tooting your own horn. I just said, lets see who else can play defense in this league and, sure enough, our defense was very similar given the circumstances.

AND using your logic (just for fun)

=----------------

Arkansas - 337 yards 14 points 6 just werent the defense's fault

Kentucky - 110 yards 7 points 3 just werent the defense's fault

247 yards 13 points <----WTH are these?

UK - 177 yards 17 points

235 yards 18 points <----WTH are these?

=-----------------

Again, this is splitting hairs, but if YOU get to do it, why can't we?

Archived