Interesting Stats: Auburn vs UAT

Aubie7

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is head to head fromfoxsports. You can put defense against defense, offense against offense, or offense against defense.

bama is #1 in the country this week for defense. Guess that disputes the old adage that defense wins games.

114667[/snapback]

During the 1991 season, Joe Lee Dunn's defense at Ole Miss led the nation in total defense with a team that finished 5-6, averaging about 12 pts per game on offense.

Here is head to head fromfoxsports.  You can put defense against defense, offense against offense, or offense against defense.

114663[/snapback]

According to this site, UAT is only .5 better than Auburn on defense, although I am not sure what that means to this site. If you use all of these stats, which are very comprehensive and take a lot of defensive thoughts into question, then it would seem that UAT would not have the #1 defense in the country.

Here is head to head fromfoxsports.  You can put defense against defense, offense against offense, or offense against defense.

114663[/snapback]

According to this site, UAT is only .5 better than Auburn on defense, although I am not sure what that means to this site. If you use all of these stats, which are very comprehensive and take a lot of defensive thoughts into question, then it would seem that UAT would not have the #1 defense in the country.

114688[/snapback]

Apparently they do take all of this information in, and have UA rated #1 in defense. As for the UA only being .5 better than Auburn on defense, I'd say that's about right. Both of the defenses are very close.

114663[/snapback]

114688[/snapback]

Apparently they do take all of this information in, and have UA rated #1 in defense. As for the UA only being .5 better than Auburn on defense, I'd say that's about right. Both of the defenses are very close.

114695[/snapback]

Only for yards allowed, right,? Points per game they are 13th in the country. I'll take AU defense over UAT's, anyday.

114663[/snapback]

114688[/snapback]

114695[/snapback]

How could they take all of those stats into account and UAT still be the #1 defense in the country? There were some very high numbers for UAT in some areas. I am not looking at it right now, but I think they were #1 in only about 2 or 3 categories. Far from being #1 in most, to give them a #1 average.

That's just it, defenses are ranked by total yards per game. Here are the other sites that rank defenses on the net.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/nation...teamtotdef.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStats...g&dir=ascending

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/...rt/NCAAF/TOTDEF

That's just it, defenses are ranked by total yards per game.  Here are the other sites that rank defenses on the net.

114868[/snapback]

Oh, so UAT doesn't have THE BEST defense in the coutry. :o Thanks for sharing that! They have only given up the fewest yards per game, which is totally different! I wonder where they stand when you take into account ALL

defensive stats? <_<

There you go, Aubie7, putting a pin in a perfectly good uat bubble. :D

That's just it, defenses are ranked by total yards per game.  Here are the other sites that rank defenses on the net.

114868[/snapback]

Oh, so UAT doesn't have THE BEST defense in the coutry. :o Thanks for sharing that! They have only given up the fewest yards per game, which is totally different! I wonder where they stand when you take into account ALL

defensive stats? <_<

114876[/snapback]

What is the deal with you guys not wanting to accept the fact that ALL rankings are based on yards per game. That's how all individual stats are ranked, along with team stats. Shaud Williams had the most rushing yards in the SEC last year. Carnell had the most yards per game, which means that on all preseason mags this year, Carnell was the leading rusher in the SEC last year. It's really not that hard to understand.

:nopity: That's the funny thing about stats. You can make them say just about anything you want them to say. So, if you leave out enough information, move a few things around, you can make several teams have the best defense in the country.

I prefer my stats coming from StatTiger...... He is ALWAYS right on the money! :au:

:nopity: That's the funny thing about stats. You can make them say just about anything you want them to say.  So, if you leave out enough information, move a few things around, you can  make several teams have the best defense in the country.

114887[/snapback]

Whatever man. Every college football ranking system has UA with the #1 defense in the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes: All those bama homers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:nopity: That's the funny thing about stats. You can make them say just about anything you want them to say.  So, if you leave out enough information, move a few things around, you can  make several teams have the best defense in the country.

114887[/snapback]

Whatever man. Every college football ranking system has UA with the #1 defense in the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes: All those bama homers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

114896[/snapback]

Every one of them? :no: No, what they have is UAT leading the country in fewest yards allowed. :D

Wouldn't the FACT that :au: has BLOWN OUT all but one opponent and are playing the second and third team defensive players by halftime tend to make this a moot point? :big:

114887[/snapback]

114896[/snapback]

Every one of them? :no: No, what they have is UAT leading the country in fewest yards allowed. :D

114902[/snapback]

Fewest yards allowed.....hmm I thought that was the whole point of defense. When a team gives up very few yards, usually the score goes in that teams favor. :thumbsup:

114887[/snapback]

114896[/snapback]

114902[/snapback]

Fewest yards allowed.....hmm I thought that was the whole point of defense. When a team gives up very few yards, usually the score goes in that teams favor. :thumbsup:

114921[/snapback]

Uh, I think pts. per game is a WHOLE lot more important.

Thats the reason I said USUALLY. That hasnt happened for Alabama this year. I agree, defense isnt everything. But without it (UF), you cant win.

Since yards per game do not count on the scoreboard, I would think that points allowed per game is a better statistic to judge a defense by. Oh yeah, I would definitely say that the W-L is the only thing that counts.

I'd love to see a comparison of yards/points allowed in the first half. That would be a little more accurate, considering in 7 of the last 8 games, during the third qtr, Coach Tuberville has pulled me down from section 23 row 30 and asked me to strap it on and go play little middle linebacker.

Archived