TIGERS WIN! TIGERS WIN!!!!!!!!!!

War Damn guys! I have been critical of this team all year but that was a gutsy win. Didn't fold when we coulda. Wow what a game

:we:

Auburn beats UGA 3-2 and may have replaced the Butt Sniffers as the last SEC team in the NCAA Tourney.

I'll check the auburn site but for those that didn't see we led 3-0 all game thanks to Gonzalez scoring 2 runs, a Justin Bryant HR, Koger solid pitching and shockingly outstanding defense. Then in the 8th Varnadore gave up 2 runs and we brought Bryant in. He got outta that inning. Then a one out triple in the Bot 9th lead to to bases loaded 2 outs for UGA and Bryant got the line out. Now we gotta regroup and get another tomorrow

That was awesome. Had to listen to it on my phone. For anybody that watched it, how tough of a catch was the last out?

Not tough. Basically right at him. He had to move 2 steps.

Good win......typical of AU this year....games where they play "heads-up" they can keep 'em close and win most of  them.  Don't recall any errors and don't remember any innings where the pitcher walked the first man up. 

It was interesting that CJP yanked Koger the first moment it looked like he was in trouble.  IMO, Coach P's biggest problem this year is failing to see that his pitcher was losing it (or had lost it)....and did not make a change until after a bunch of runs scored.

Basically a good tight game and well played by the entire team.

Good win......typical of AU this year....games where they play "heads-up" they can keep 'em close and win most of  them.  Don't recall any errors and don't remember any innings where the pitcher walked the first man up.   

It was interesting that CJP yanked Koger the first moment it looked like he was in trouble.  IMO, Coach P's biggest problem this year is failing to see that his pitcher was losing it (or had lost it)....and did not make a change until after a bunch of runs scored.

And I am the opposite. There are games where i thought he took out Pitchers too Early. Koger vs. Arkansas is a perfect example.

You could be correct ellitor but unless you have an "alternative universe" machine you can't know that Koger would have done better than his replacment. 

As bad as my memory is, I can recall games throughout the season where JLJ and various other pitchers were left in too long and games we could/should have won were lost before the bullpen was even working.    Some of our guys pitch like there is a built-in self destruct clock...pitch 5 solid innings and then look-out.

You could be correct ellitor but unless you have an "alternative universe" machine you can't know that Koger would have done better than his replacment.   

As bad as my memory is, I can recall games throughout the season where JLJ and various other pitchers were left in too long and games we could/should have won were lost before the bullpen was even working.    Some of our guys pitch like there is a built-in self destruct clock...pitch 5 solid innings and then look-out.

It's hard to truly say any pitcher was in the game too long because our defense was so bad they put our pitchers in those horrible positions. Our defense cost us at minimum 9 wins. If they made the routine plays we would be 40-16 right now, won the west, and battling for one of those covetted top 8 seeds in the CWS tourney. Given the awesome job CJP is doing in recruiting especially given the scholly disadvantage we have with most SEC teams,he gets 0 blame IMO.

And the bunting. Good Lord, the bunting.

Recruiting .....and coaching...not the same thing.    I'm not questioning the talent level because it basically appears to be in the ball park  :) with most other teams in the conference despite the scholarship disadvantages.

Issues to be addressed:  1.  Fundamentals of fielding, bunting, baserunning, throwing strikes

2.  Game day coaching... pitcher management

Recruiting .....and coaching...not the same thing.    I'm not questioning the talent level because it basically appears to be in the ball park  :) with most other teams in the conference despite the scholarship disadvantages.

Issues to be addressed:   1.   Fundamentals of fielding, bunting, baserunning, throwing strikes

2.  Game day coaching... pitcher management

I will give you the rest but the fundamentals of fielding IMO is strictly on the players because errors show laziness and lack of concentration....on bunting though I do think we bunt to early in games at times.

[

I will give you the rest but the fundamentals of fielding IMO is strictly on the players because errors show laziness and lack of concentration....on bunting though I do think we bunt to early in games at times.

Yep.....but how many passes does a WR drop ....or turn overs does a guard commit before he is sitting on the bench?     

Granted, I don't know what goes on at practice but it's rare to see a player pay a "penalty" for sloppy play....though I think CJP pulled one of the guys who failed to slide into second the other day. ...guess that was the limit of his tolerance. 

[

Yep.....but how many passes does a WR drop ....or turn overs does a guard commit before he is sitting on the bench?       

Granted, I don't know what goes on at practice but it's rare to see a player pay a "penalty" for sloppy play....though I think CJP pulled one of the guys who failed to slide into second the other day. ...guess that was the limit of his tolerance. 

There is a big difference between being a guard or WR and fielding a baseball. In football and basketball the other team is trying to force the mistakes. In baseball the fielder is by himself. Nobody is trying to make him mess up/ That's all on his pure lazyness.

[

There is a big difference between being a guard or WR and fielding a baseball. In football and basketball the other team is trying to force the mistakes. In baseball the fielder is by himself. Nobody is trying to make him mess up/ That's all on his pure lazyness.

Our college coach would have put your rear end on the bench in a hurry if you couldn't make the plays. With that said, if we were struggling defensively we took ground balls and took ground balls until the problem wasn't there anymore or you were replaced. It was as simple as that. I'm not so sure we are working on D like we should.

that about sums it up.

Agree to disagree. I have watched them practice. They do plenty of work on D. The kids are just lazy fielders or have the fielding Yips.

Agree to disagree. I have watched them practice. They do plenty of work on D. The kids are just lazy fielders or have the fielding Yips.

If that's the case then CJP isn't as good of a recruiter as we thought. Secondly, if we have guys out there who aren't putting forth the effort, at what point does CJP let them sit next to him for a while? You can't just let the same things go on and expect a different result.

If that's the case then CJP isn't as good of a recruiter as we thought. Secondly, if we have guys out there who aren't putting forth the effort, at what point does CJP let them sit next to him for a while? You can't just let the same things go on and expect a different result.

Well my basis for his recruiting comes from the current class which was a top 25 class and the one coming in February which is a top 10 class, so they really are not relevent to the fielding discussion.

Well my basis for his recruiting comes from the current class which was a top 25 class and the one coming in February which is a top 10 class, so they really are not relevent to the fielding discussion.

Recruiting rankings don't show work ethic or character either. I'm not trying to argue really about his recruiting ability. I'm just saying that if a kid isn't getting the job done, let someone else try.

As you know, baseball is a funny game....can have guys who hate each other playing side by side.  The coach/manager has to deal with such stuff but must require the players to perform if they are going to see time on the field.    As I noted in an earlier post, we don't know what goes on in practice but I just have the feeling that CJP is too tolerant of slack play. 

All these kids have been around enough to know the proper way to bunt, run the bases, not get picked off and make routine fielding plays.  It amazes me to see our guys make plays that could be on the ESPN top plays and then boot a ball that is right at them.  This team ranks about 150th in the NCAA in fielding percentage and there is no justification for that.

Archived