Down year in the SEC?

Tigermike

We have heard from Bammers, Finebaum, local sports TV and ESPN that this is a down year for the SEC. The Bammers say it in order to knock AU and to somehow make light of Auburn’s season. I say BS to them all.

Compared to last year the SEC isn’t down at all. In fact, eight weeks into the season, six SEC teams--Auburn, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and even Vanderbilt--have better records this season than last. Only Ole Miss is more than one game worse than at the same time last season.

The assertions that the bottom of the league is worse doesn’t hold water, either. Here’s the team by team comparison:

Alabama: 3-5 in 2004, 5-3 in 2004; Arkansas: 3-4 in 2004, 4-3 in 2003; Auburn: 8-0 in 2004, 5-3 in 2003; Florida: 5-3 in 2004, 4-3 in 2003; Georgia: 6-1 in 2004, 7-1 in 2003; Kentucky; 1-6 in 2004, 2-5 in 2003; LSU: 5-2 in 2004, 6-1 in 2003; Mississippi State: 2-5 in 2004, 2-5 in 2003; Ole Miss: 3-4 in 2004, 5-2 in 2003; South Carolina: 5-2 in 2004, 4-3 in 2003; Tennessee: 6-1 in 2004, 4-2 in 2003; Vanderbilt: 2-5 in 2004, 1-6 in 2003.

:au::au::au::big::big::big::au::au::au:

Of course the bamaham media is gonna' spin it that way! :homer:

They gotta' attempt to hold onto that uat fan base! :big::big::big:

This is actually the first time I've heard anyone mention the SEC is down.

114764[/snapback]

Do you not watch TV or listen to the radio or read newspapers?

It only appears to be a down year because we have been hanging 35 on most everyone we've played thus far. With our exceptional play excluded, UT, UGA, and LSU have played phenominally (Troy is a tough out).

The SEC has Auburn, Tenn, Georgia, and LSU.

The Big Ten is as weak as its ever been.

The Big XII has Oklahoma and Texas. Thats about it.

The PAC 10 has USC and Cal.

The Big East.....um.....Conference USA could take em.

The ACC has Miami, FSU, and Virginia.

Miami looks vulnerable. FSU looks overrated. Texas can be beaten if you can stop the run. Wisconsin and Michigan are two VERY vulnerable teams that just haven't been knocked around enough.

Is it just me or does the bar look a whole lot lower this year AROUND THE COUNTRY!!!

Dont knock the SEC, we just have a shifted perspective on the National scene this year. Its okay to feel that way when your team has looked this dominant.

114764[/snapback]

114766[/snapback]

Yep. I've watched every College gameday, and college gameday final. I haven't seen one time where they said the SEC was down. I don't listen or base my opinions on what PF says. The Gadsden Times also hasn't ran any articles saying the SEC is down either. Last but not least, I'm post on two bama sites, and I haven't heard any of them saying the SEC is down either.

114764[/snapback]

114766[/snapback]

Yep. I've watched every College gameday, and college gameday final. I haven't seen one time where they said the SEC was down. I don't listen or base my opinions on what PF says. The Gadsden Times also hasn't ran any articles saying the SEC is down either. Last but not least, I'm post on two bama sites, and I haven't heard any of them saying the SEC is down either.

114769[/snapback]

I have heard Mike Gottfred (sp), Jim Donnan, Danny Sheridan, Paul Finebaum, Ray Melic, Cecil Hurt, ESPN folks, nearly every sports announcer in the Birmingham TV market, Herb Winches and others characterize the SEC as down this year. I don't post or lurk on the Bama boards, so I would have no idea what is said there. But I have heard Bammers in person and on sports radio make the same assertion.

it just seems to be down because AU is so damn much better than the others.....i wonder does LSWHO think it's down?.....the gators?....bammerboobs only losses have been sec LOSSES.....UGALY wa supposed to be national champions this year....lets see if they think its down in about 3 weeks......you can see everything when you are on top

The sec isn't having a down year. I've watched EVERY ESPN gameday, and and EVERY ESPN gameday final. Nowhere did anyone of those guys say that the SEC is having a down year. I can't deny what you guys have "heard from bammers in person" but I can tell you that no one has posted a link of any type of article saying this is a down year. This is simply people wanting to blast bama fans and the media yet again. ANYONE can call in on the radio. If you listen to that crap, you are going to hear some stupid stuff.

Its always a down year when bama doesnt go undefeated....duh

114837[/snapback]

Thank you for backing up my post.

Its always a down year when bama doesnt go undefeated....duh

114837[/snapback]

Thank you for staing the TRUTH when it comes to the bamaham media ! ! :D

p.s. I waited until 2:30 Sunday afternoon to buy a bamaham snooze.

IF uat had pulled out a miracle in knoxville, they would have been sold out at 6:30 a.m. ! ! ! :big:

The sec isn't having a down year.  I've watched EVERY ESPN gameday, and and EVERY ESPN gameday final.  Nowhere did anyone of those guys say that the SEC is having a down year.  I can't deny what you guys have "heard from bammers in person" but I can tell you that no one has posted a link of any type of article saying this is a down year.  This is simply people wanting to blast bama fans and the media yet again.  ANYONE can call in on the radio.  If you listen to that crap, you are going to hear some stupid stuff.

114836[/snapback]

This was not an attempt to bash Bama. Merely a statement of facts about the records of SEC teams and a statement of fact of what I have heard and where. Can I give you a link to what was said on TV programs? NO I can't. Have I heard the list of people above say what did? YES O have. I don't believe I said I heard it on ESPN Gameday did I? ESPN Radio, ESPN announcers on TV, Mike Gottfred on his Sunday night show.

Keep listening and you will hear it from mayn teams fans. But not from the UNDEFEATED UNTIDE AUBURN TIGERS, fans. :big:

Those listening to the Birmingham media market should consider the sources. Remember that there are many, many Bama fans out there. I'd like to know what percentage of Alabama residents are Bama fans vs. AU fans. I would guess that a large portion of the non-educated, mullet-wearing types are Bama fans 'cause their mamma loved Bear Bryant.

The media hacks are sympathizing with the losers. I live in Dallas, and all I've heard this year is about the strength of the SEC and that if we didn't play each other we would own at least six of the top ten slots.

Tennessee lost to AU, but they are one hell of a football team. We all know how strong UGA is. LSU is still a good team. Bama sucks (had to throw that in).

The fans of the Texas and Oklahoma colleges I see every day are glad they don't have to play in the SEC. I've heard several times from several media sources that if Auburn goes through the SEC undefeated, they've earned the right to play in the Orange Bowl.

I'm from Alabama, and I love the state, but we must remember that if someone is running a radio show in Birmingham or writing for the Birmingham News, he or she is far from the best in the business.

War Eagle!

i would say that the sec hasn't been particularly impressive nationally b/c we've all backed out of our tough OOC games. we played no one. bama played southern as always and that's it. uf plays fsu and that's it. uga played no one. i mean the toughest out of conference game so far has been oregon state i think, and they suck. that's part of the reason the sec looks down.

i think the problem nationally is that the expected teams aren't the best teams. like i think ut/oklahoma state is even. it may even be advantage osu. and texas a&m still has a valid shot at the south (with ou at home and texas to come). or in the big 10, wisconsin and michigan don't even play each other so the big ten doesn't have to worry about the knock off game that the sec (and big 12) have with the title game. the acc is pretty good, but they have a LOT of average teams (vatech, clemson, maryland, wake, ncstate). the big east doesn't merit mentioning b/c they are level with cusa (louisville and west virginia cancel each other out).

I think AU and UGA are two teams that stand out and I imagine few teams want to play. UT is no better than last year. Good coaching and enough talent to get by and win 9-10 games ugly.

UF and LSU are a couple of busts. Suddenly, everyone wants a piece of those two. Personally, I think the SEC is down with regard to overall strength this year. After AU and UGA, I'm not sure there's a team in the conference people would be scared to play.

You are forgetting the 12mnc bunch in west al. ! ! ! :big:

Seriously, I must agree with you. ut is NOT a very good team The gators are just plain sad. lsWHO is missing their qb from last year and I think the early losses have burst their bubble a bit.

BUT, at least we know there is STILL one dominating team in the SEC ! ! ! ! :au:

Archived