Null

Sign in to follow this  
Elephant Tipper

"Team camp notebook", Bryan Matthews UPDATE, 6/10/12, FREE READ

Sounds like the coaches are doing a pretty good job of making connections early on. If we have the year I think we will, then we're going to have a line waiting to get a shot at playing for Auburn!

I agree Red. As most of us 'cruitin junkies have noticed, there is a lot of focus already being put the '14 class. I think it's only a matter of time before the commits start coming in for that class. It also means that the coaches feel pretty comfortable about the current '13 class. I don't know if i've ever seen the grass greener on the plains. I really feel good about this program in the hands of Gene Chizik.

I agree Red. As most of us 'cruitin junkies have noticed, there is a lot of focus already being put the '14 class. I think it's only a matter of time before the commits start coming in for that class. It also means that the coaches feel pretty comfortable about the current '13 class. I don't know if i've ever seen the grass greener on the plains. I really feel good about this program in the hands of Gene Chizik.

Agree. The program is getting back to what it was in the mid-late 80's. With the recruiting services and the round the clock analysis, ratings, speculation, it seems like we are putting together the best classes we ever have. However, in reality, Pat Dyes recruiting from the 1983 class through about 1989 was just as strong, maybe stronger. Those classes did win 5 SEC titles (including 1993), 3 straight SEC titles, a NC in 1983 and 1 play away from a possible NC in 1988.

The way it is shaping up though, this 2013 defensive class looks to have the potential to be one of our strongest ever for sure though.

This optimism is well founded, particularly when you look at certain key positions.  Already, we've had the #1 Pro QB, the #1 Dual QB, and a third that CSL be higher on, visit us.  We are all over the leading LB prospects for 2014.  Same with RB and WR to some extent.  The future is definitely looking great on the Plains. 

Agree. The program is getting back to what it was in the mid-late 80's. With the recruiting services and the round the clock analysis, ratings, speculation, it seems like we are putting together the best classes we ever have. However, in reality, Pat Dyes recruiting from the 1983 class through about 1989 was just as strong, maybe stronger. Those classes did win 5 SEC titles (including 1993), 3 straight SEC titles, a NC in 1983 and 1 play away from a possible NC in 1988.

The way it is shaping up though, this 2013 defensive class looks to have the potential to be one of our strongest ever for sure though.

Not to take anything away from the job that Dye did in the 80's because it was a remarkable run, but I believe Chizik is doing as good a job under tougher circumstances. Even though Tenn and Fla are down, the SEC has never been stronger as a whole. Recruiting is as tough as it's ever been with all of the competition in our traditional recruiting grounds. Chizik is sharing a state with the "best coach in cfl" and is holding his own very well. Not to mention having to  compete with the other championship winning coaches in this league and the long tenured guy like Richt.

Not to take anything away from the job that Dye did in the 80's because it was a remarkable run, but I believe Chizik is doing as good a job under tougher circumstances. Even though Tenn and Fla are down, the SEC has never been stronger as a whole. Recruiting is as tough as it's ever been with all of the competition in our traditional recruiting grounds. Chizik is sharing a state with the "best coach in cfl" and is holding his own very well. Not to mention having to  compete with the other championship winning coaches in this league and the long tenured guy like Richt.

You have a point, but to say that Chizik is doing a better job is to completely underestimate how far down we were at the end of the Barfield era. Dye, who started at AU in 81 (and signed some kid named Vincent in 82), picked Auburn up from that, threw off the stigma of being in the same state as UAT, beat Bear Bryant in his final Iron Bowl, and THEN proceeded to dominate the SEC landscape over the rest of the decade. The difficulties of going head to head with Bear in recruiting were numerous; Nick Saban isn't the best in college football now, as so many bammers like to say, but Bear WAS the best in his time in Tuscaloosa (even if "best" could legitimately be put in front of "at cheating"). He's the one who taught the NCAA where the loopholes in the rules were because he kept exploiting them to keep his program, just barely, off probation.

Oh yeah, Dooley was still at UGA, too, and they won their last national championship the year before Dye showed up. Herschel Walker won the Heisman in 82.

Yep, Dooley was at UGA and Jonny Majors was at UT who was very strong in the 80's. LSU also had some very strong teams in the 80's and UF had the best team in the country in 1984 and one of the best in 1983. Plus Jackie Sherrill was cheating his butt off at MSU and they fielded some solid teams.

The SEC was totally stacked in the 1980's as well with great teams and legendary coaches - Dye, Bear, Dooley, Majors, Sherrill.

You have a point, but to say that Chizik is doing a better job is to completely underestimate how far down we were at the end of the Barfield era. Dye, who started at AU in 81 (and signed some kid named Vincent in 82), picked Auburn up from that, threw off the stigma of being in the same state as UAT, beat Bear Bryant in his final Iron Bowl, and THEN proceeded to dominate the SEC landscape over the rest of the decade. The difficulties of going head to head with Bear in recruiting were numerous; Nick Saban isn't the best in college football now, as so many bammers like to say, but Bear WAS the best in his time in Tuscaloosa (even if "best" could legitimately be put in front of "at cheating"). He's the one who taught the NCAA where the loopholes in the rules were because he kept exploiting them to keep his program, just barely, off probation.

Oh yeah, Dooley was still at UGA, too, and they won their last national championship the year before Dye showed up. Herschel Walker won the Heisman in 82.

No argument from me. I can't take anything away from what Coach Dye did at AU and yes he did inherit a mess. Plus we get to look at PD's complete resume versus 3 seasons for GC.  Chizik inherited a mess as well and did a great job of weathering the storm from a roster standpoint and not only win, but win big while in the middle of a major rebuilding process. For me at present time, I give slight nod to GC based on what he's been able to do while this league has a stranglehold on college football. He handled himself through the media firestorm like a champion. I don't know if i've ever seen another coach handle a situation of that magnitude as well as he did. Coach Dye has his name on the field and helped make AU great. Chizik has taken that baton and is making all of us proud.

No argument from me. I can't take anything away from what Coach Dye did at AU and yes he did inherit a mess. Plus we get to look at PD's complete resume versus 3 seasons for GC.  Chizik inherited a mess as well and did a great job of weathering the storm from a roster standpoint and not only win, but win big while in the middle of a major rebuilding process. For me at present time, I give slight nod to GC based on what he's been able to do while this league has a stranglehold on college football. He handled himself through the media firestorm like a champion. I don't know if i've ever seen another coach handle a situation of that magnitude as well as he did. Coach Dye has his name on the field and helped make AU great. Chizik has taken that baton and is making all of us proud.

It's not as if the SEC was a pushover back then, you know. Bear Bryant won the national championship in 78 and 79, then Dooley won it in 80 at UGA. Pat Dye took over in 81, and AU SHOULD have added to that list of NCs in 83.

Look, I'm taking nothing away from Chizik, because he's truly done an outstanding job, but don't take away from what Pat Dye did either. I'd say at this point, it would be a compliment to say Chizik is on par with Dye.

Sounds like the coaches are doing a pretty good job of making connections early on. If we have the year I think we will, then we're going to have a line waiting to get a shot at playing for Auburn!

Now that AU is close to the 85, the Coaches can concentrate on fine tuning instead of just getting a full roster. As if they weren't effective before, now they are able to get ahead of the power curve and become even more effective.

It's not as if the SEC was a pushover back then, you know. Bear Bryant won the national championship in 78 and 79, then Dooley won it in 80 at UGA. Pat Dye took over in 81, and AU SHOULD have added to that list of NCs in 83.

Look, I'm taking nothing away from Chizik, because he's truly done an outstanding job, but don't take away from what Pat Dye did either. I'd say at this point, it would be a compliment to say Chizik is on par with Dye.

Huge compliment to even compare Chiz to Dye.

Anyway, just to expand a bit...

1978 - Bama NC

1979 - Bama NC

1980 - UGA NC

1981 - Clemson NC

1982 - UGA plays for NC, but barely loses to Paterno and PSU

1983 - AU NC (as far as I am concerned and according to MANY NC selectors) UGA maybe the #2 team in the country with only loss to AU

1984 - UF best team in the country and would have been NC if not for probation

So, 5/7 years the SEC is the NC during that time period (or would have likely been named the NC under todays BCS type ratings) and one win away from 6 legit titles in 7 years. Not that unlike today and maybe even more impressive considering the legends that coached during that time.

I can't agree with you on this one. I think that we (SEC) are more top heavy than we've been in a long time. I think that we were better top to bottom in the 80's. Now, if we are talking about winning championships, this era takes the cake. jmo