Is the West better than the East this year?

BamaGrad03

I know people will point to UGA throttling LSU...but as a whole, what does it say about the east when their #1 gets pummled by our #1. Their #1 SQEAKS out an ugly win against our #4 (at home). Their #1 squeaks out an ugly win against our #5 as well. Florida gets tossed by LSU and MSU in back to back weeks.

Right now UGA is the best team in the east. It makes me want to cry knowing they blew that game against UT. They should have pounded them.

UGA beating Arkansas helps their case against the west. But USC losing to Ole Miss doesnt.

What do you all think?

Overall, I think the West has always been stronger. Out of the 6 teams in the East, only 3 have ever made it to the SECC Game. In the West, all but one of the 6 have been to the SECC Game.

Whenever this argument comes up, I still want to understand what people mean by "stronger"

I think the East has had the best or 2-best teams in the SEC for the majority of years since 1992. But, I consider the West to have had more of a variety of teams winning their division making it more competitive weekly. But, does that mean the West is actually more competitive or just weaker on the top?

Whenever this argument comes up, I still want to understand what people mean by "stronger"

I think the East has had the best or 2-best teams in the SEC for the majority of years since 1992. But, I consider the West to have had more of a variety of teams winning their division making it more competitive weekly. But, does that mean the West is actually more competitive or just weaker on the top?

115133[/snapback]

While that is a valid point, the question pertains to this year....

I am not sure you can answer that just yet. Say UT wins out and UGA beats AU (and UT beats AU in the SECCG).....it would be interesting to say the least.

Since the 12 team SEC was formed, The WEST holds a winning record over the East.

Not sure what that means, but, it kinda' shocked me. With the GREAT Gator teams of the 90's and with the very good teams Ga. has had recently, I was shocked.

(Not to mention the Vols, so I won't.) :D

:huh:

Since the 12 team SEC was formed, The WEST holds a winning record over the East.

Not sure what that means, but, it kinda' shocked me. With the GREAT Gator teams of the 90's and with the very good teams Ga. has had recently, I was shocked.

(Not to mention the Vols, so I won't.) :D

:huh:

115138[/snapback]

Then again, the teams with the best Cross-Division records are UF, UT, and UGA.....followed by Alabama.....so the East has the top 3.

Was on ESPN during the UGA/Arkansas game.....

I checked it out, and the West is 7-7 against the East so far this year. 

Remaining games:

:arky: vs.  :usc:

:msu: vs. :uk:

:lsu: vs.  :vandy:

And of course... :au: vs.  :uga:

115149[/snapback]

What if they go 2-2 in these last four? Where are we then? Back to the top of this thread? :blink:

Top to bottom, (and yes I am biased) I think the West outranks the East. This year, I would have to say yes, Auburn #1 in the West put it on UT #1 in the East head to head, and I see Auburn taking a W from UGA. I guess since we have seen a 12 team format in the SEC, all in all in the past it has been UT and FLA, with FLA holding the advantage. As someone mentioned earlier, Everybody but Ole Miss has played in the SECCG. Now another side of the argument can be that th east has actually had 3 teams to win the SEC - UT, FLA, and UGA were as the West has only had 2 - Bama and LSU.

I think we are starting to see a little bit of a power shift in the SEC. With UGA stating to poke out as the dominant team in the east for good ( or at least for a little while) and now maybe LSU and Auburn being the 2 fighting it out every year for the West, not unlike UT and FLA in 90's.

Your guys might want to cut down on those thrilling come from behind wins over TROY if you want to "fight it out" for the WEST, much less the SEC ! ! ! :D

Top to bottom, (and yes I am biased) I think the West outranks the East.  This year, I would have to say yes, Auburn #1 in the West put it on UT #1 in the East head to head, and I see Auburn taking a W from UGA.  I guess since we have seen a 12 team format in the SEC, all in all in the past it has been UT and FLA, with FLA holding the advantage.  As someone mentioned earlier, Everybody but Ole Miss has played in the SECCG.  Now another side of the argument can be that th east has actually had 3 teams to win the SEC - UT, FLA, and UGA were as the West has only had 2 - Bama and LSU. 

I think we are starting to see a little bit of a power shift in the SEC.  With UGA stating to poke out as the dominant team in the east for good ( or at least for a little while) and now maybe LSU and Auburn being the 2 fighting it out every year for the West, not unlike UT and FLA in 90's.

115234[/snapback]

UGA is becoming dominant in the East, but I would not place them on a pedestal above UT. UF will be coming back, especially if their Spurrier wish is granted. Too much talent goes to UF just for the sake of going there, a competent coach should have no problem rebuilding the Gators. It may turn into an annual 3-way battle between UT, UGA, and UF.

As it stands now, AU and LSU are definitely poised to duke it out for the West. Which we have been doing anyways. However, Bama will eventually return and give the West a 3-way battle as well. I also expect good things to come out of Starkville in the future. Let us see what happens to Arkansas without Jones. What is the end result of this? Kiss SEC national championship hopes goodbye.

In all honesty though, I would take an SEC Championship in that environment over any honor the media circle-jerk/BCS could grant us.

It seems to me that the SEC as a whole is way down this year. Auburn is the only team that looks strong. Just to play devil's advocate I will ask, how strong are we? We barely beat LSU who barely beat Troy. We dominated everyone else, but is Tenn really very good? Is Arky?

I hope that we are doing as well as we are because we are good, not because everyone else has gotten worse.

It seems to me that the SEC as a whole is way down this year.  Auburn is the only team that looks strong.  Just to play devil's advocate I will ask, how strong are we?  We barely beat LSU who barely beat Troy.  We dominated everyone else, but is Tenn really very good?  Is Arky?

I hope that we are doing as well as we are because we are good, not because everyone else has gotten worse.

115381[/snapback]

We barely beat LSU, who got destroyed by UGA, and barely beat Troy. LSU beat UF, who beat Arky, who beat Bama, and LSU could lose to both Arky and Bama (not saying that they will, but the possibility does exist). Upsets happen so frequently in the SEC that they really stop being upsets and become the expected. The SEC personifies "any given Saturday".

Archived