What was the first year

auburn4ever

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1973 opener as part of a double header at Legion field with Alabama. Bama played Southern Miss, and we played Oregon State. We won 18-9.

:o I had no idea AU ever participated in something like that... Went to a DH in basketball one year, but I can't imagine a double-header w the Dykes in anything now :beatmullet: ... No thanks!

It was Tubbervile's first year as head-coach at Auburn.  They played ole' Miss. and lost but it was my first and only game to Attend with Dad, It was Dad's first and only game to attend at Auburn as-well.  Will cherrish those few hours in Auburn forever....  

1973 opener as part of a double header at Legion field with Alabama. Bama played Southern Miss, and we played Oregon State. We won 18-9.

:o I had no idea AU ever participated in something like that... Went to a DH in basketball one year, but I can't imagine a double-header w the Dykes in anything now :beatmullet: ... No thanks!

Yep. It happened. I don't think they have ever done anything like that before or since. That kind of made it unique. The bama fans were still hanging around when the Auburn fans started to show up. Oops, did some checking,  correction - Bama played California not Southern Miss, and won 66-0.

1993 Auburn vs New Mexico State.  I was 11 years old.  My dad took me and I will remember that forever. 

2004 Iron Bowl with free tickets. Only downfall was that I had to be in the Alabama players section, I got the tickets from my cousin who was a trainer for Alabama at the time.

Great game and great year!

1968 Auburn vs tennessee at Legion field, on a Saturday night in early November. All those years we played them on the fourth Saturday in September except for this one year. It was the only time I can remember the game being played in November. It was the second half of a double header. I believe the dark side played lsu in the afternoon game (could be wrong about that). The old sod at legion field was all tore up so they didn't let the bands march at half-time. The tennessee band director got po'd and from then on would only bring a small pep band on the road when they played us. That lasted for several years. The outcome; we won, 28-14. Mike Courier scored 3 touchdowns. The fourth one was a pass from Loren Carter to Tim Christian. I was 15 years old and having the time of my life. After that I made every single home game with them until 1982 when I was living overseas.

1993 Auburn vs New Mexico State.  I was 11 years old.  My dad took me and I will remember that forever. 

Yes and we beat the crap out those a holes... go Lobo's

1968 Auburn vs tennessee at Legion field, on a Saturday night in early November. All those years we played them on the fourth Saturday in September except for this one year. It was the only time I can remember the game being played in November. It was the second half of a double header. I believe the dark side played lsu in the afternoon game (could be wrong about that). The old sod at legion field was all tore up so they didn't let the bands march at half-time. The tennessee band director got po'd and from then on would only bring a small pep band on the road when they played us. That lasted for several years. The outcome; we won, 28-14. Mike Courier scored 3 touchdowns. The fourth one was a pass from Loren Carter to Tim Christian. I was 15 years old and having the time of my life. After that I made every single home game with them until 1982 when I was living overseas.

Was that not a double header with the turds playing LSU earlier in the day?

1973 opener as part of a double header at Legion field with Alabama. Bama played California, and we played Oregon State. We won 18-9.

You've got me by a week.  Mine was the Chattanooga game, the first game after fall quarter started my freshman year.

my first too. Stan set a record for passes completed to start a game 17 ithink.

Ok you young whippersnappers you forced me into this.  September 29, 1957, Sheilds/Watkins Field, Knoxville,

TN,  Auburn 7, Tennessee 0, think I gotcha here Golf !!

:thumbsup:

DANG!!  And I thought I was OLD!

my first too. Stan set a record for passes completed to start a game 17 ithink.

Good memory! 16 completions broke Sully's record of 13 & it seems like the 17th reception was a dropped ball over the middle. That game was my first one in the sky boxes & I was mad the whole game that NMSt had scored at all... Toured the Ath Complex afterwards and met Terry & Lauren Bowden. She was an outgoing one.. first & only time anyone called me 'foxy' lol

Man, I didn't realize so many of you were alive back when Delta was using Quetzalcoatlus for aircraft.  :o:-X;D ;D

[

Was that not a double header with the turds playing LSU earlier in the day?

That was either 69 or 70 I believe; we played Miss. State at night; won 56-7 and bama LSU played in the afternoon. Think LSU won 12-7 but could be wrong on the score and winner.

ok, slammer, watch who you are calling a young whippersnapper!  :o

the first game i remember was in b'ham against maryland.  early 50s.  spence was the qb.

top that golf!   :laugh:

wde!

ok, slammer, watch who you are calling a young whippersnapper!  :o

the first game i remember was in b'ham against maryland.  early 50s.  spence was the qb.

top that golf!   :laugh:

wde!

eagle, I think you are referring to the game played on September 27, 1952 which we lost 13-7. If you were in attendance at that game you are definitely not a "whippersanpper". However it does cover most on here but I am glad  to say the Auburn Spirit is alive and well with all these young folks. I enjoy reading what they have to say. Sort of keeps me in touch, so to speak, with the younger generation.

:wareagle:

My first game to see the Tigers in Auburn was in 1959.  I vaguely remember standing on an embankment on the northeast side watching the game.  There were no stands in the North end zone, as I remember.  I don't remember who the opponent was that day...but I remember enjoying the game and the atmosphere.

Archived