Why I want Spurrier back at UF...

StatTiger

His arrival in the SEC back in 1990 forced the SEC to change for the better in terms of performance and coaching. Everyone was scrambling to keep up with the Gators and in the end, several teams caught up. I for one was sorry to see him step down at UF and would love to see him return. Beating a Spurrier-Gator team was always special, though we only did it three times. Look at the wonderful matchups. Spurrier vs. Saban, Richt and now Borges under Tuberville. It would also bring back the UF-UT series to the national stage.

In his last three years, Spurrier and his Gators were 29-9 with an average score of 37-19.. Since his departure, Auburn under Tuberville is 25-9 with an average score of 30-15. I hope the Old ball coach returns. You have to beat the best to be the best!

So we can have Spurrier vs. Saban, Spurrier vs. Richt, but we can't have Spurrier vs. CTT, it has to be Spurrier vs. CTT/CAB because CTT isn't good enough on his own?

I simply enjoy watching him throw his visor to the ground and launch into a verbal assault on his qb of the day ! ! ! ! :D

I simply enjoy watching him throw his visor to the ground and launch into a verbal assault on his qb of the day ! ! ! ! :D

115216[/snapback]

You know, I bet the qb was more worried about walking back to the sideline than he was about the int he just threw. :D

Let's hope that we can beat him...

115250[/snapback]

Ahhh...The eternal optimist ! ! !

:cheer::cheer::cheer::lol:

Agree, just think how beating a highly ranked Spurrier team in the SEC Championship would help our BCS rankings, getting us into the BCS Championship game; too bad he isn't at UF now...

Let's hope that we can beat him...

115250[/snapback]

Ahhh...The eternal optimist ! ! !

:cheer::cheer::cheer::lol:

115305[/snapback]

3 wins during Spurrier's 11 year reign... nuff said.

Go ahead and admit it, You are NOT an AU fan. Right? :big:

115327[/snapback]

why not? you know he's gonna get the players he wants. He was great in college as a player and a coach, and even though he flopped in the NFL, he still knows what it takes to bulid NFL players, and that is a coach that recruits want to play for. If he does come back, give him two years and UF will be fine, if not right away. As much as it kills me to say it, he is a good coach, but he doesn't understand the nfl.

115327[/snapback]

Still seeking my attention Tim??? Good boy [pat, pat]

You're good enough, smart enough and gosh darn it SOMEBODY likes you...I think...

The facts against Spurrier support Raven...we had to fight like hell to win the three we did when Spurrier was there (38-35, 36-33 and 23-20). None of our 10 losses to Spurrier-led UF teams were single-digit and at least 7 of them were 20+.

That said, I don't think any sequel will feature the same dominance from the Gators. We don't get the Gators for at least another 2 seasons, anyway.

Multiple guess:

Spurrier will

A. become a UF Administrator (with Bob Stoops as HBC)

or

B. become the HBC of the Dolphins

or

C. play golf and cash his Redskins checks

Bob Stoops will

A. stay at OK

or

B. become the HBC at Florida

or

C. become the HBC of the Dolphins

Rich Rodriguez will

A. become the HBC at OK

or

B. become the HBC at Florida

or

C. stay at WVU

My guess:

Spurrier goes to work with Foley in an Administrative capacity. He becomes known as the Booster "booster." Them BullGators is restless. Spurrier also begins to coordinate the Gators 2005 recruiting class in preparation for:

In retaliation for the heavy handed tactics of the OK Administration 3 years ago, Stoops becomes a free agent and immediately signs a contract to become the new HBC at Florida with Saint Steve's blessing. With Steve Superior patching together the recruiting after Zook's staff departs, the Gators amazingly sign a Top 5 class with Stoops on the trail for only one month.

Watching all of this, Rich Rodriguez is contacted by OK and gladly takes over the Sooners program and the 2005 Heisman candidacy of Adrian Peterson.

rich rodriguez?!? seriously? the gators are trying to get to a coach with either a proven track record or a lot of buzz. he would provide neither.

i don't think spurrier has any interest in being an administrator. why would he? he loves golf and hates long work hours. head coach or golf for darth visor (personally, i too want him back b/c i think tubby was turning a corner against the gators in 2001 and 2002, despite the loss).

i don't think stoops will leave ou. what's different now than 3 years ago? i just don't see it. no more money, no better players, better competition... why leave?

i'd put my money on spurrier or a hot, young guy.

His arrival in the SEC back in 1990 forced the SEC to change for the better in terms of performance and coaching. Everyone was scrambling to keep up with the Gators and in the end, several teams caught up. I for one was sorry to see him step down at UF and would love to see him return. Beating a Spurrier-Gator team was always special, though we only did it three times.  Look at the wonderful matchups. Spurrier vs. Saban, Richt and now Borges under Tuberville. It would also bring back the UF-UT series to the national stage.

In his last three years, Spurrier and his Gators were 29-9 with an average score of 37-19.. Since his departure, Auburn under Tuberville is 25-9 with an average score of 30-15. I hope the Old ball coach returns. You have to beat the best to be the best!

115157[/snapback]

Agree with you 100%. I would welcome Steve back to the SEC. In my opinion, Spurrier did more to transform the SEC during his tenure than ANY other coach in SEC history.

If he comes back, I think this time around he'll have a little more competition. CTT, Saban & Richt have been compiling the talent to keep up and won't allow those schools to be the pushovers they once were in the '90s. UT is one, maybe two years of experience away from competing at the highest level. Pretty scary that they are top 10 material this year with their freshman QBs. Nobody can accuse Fulmer of recruiting stiffs.

Also, CSS will have to get a top-notch defensive mind to be his DC. That's always been his Achilles' heel, IMHO. He's an offensive guy first and he seemed like he didn't want to get involved with the defensive side of the house. Most of the time it didn't matter when he would hang 40 points on a team by halftime. It did matter when he played the better schools like in the bowl games. Defense was always his undoing and against the likes of Richt, Fisher & Borges, he better put out the best D he can find.

So we can have Spurrier vs. Saban, Spurrier vs. Richt, but we can't have Spurrier vs. CTT, it has to be Spurrier vs. CTT/CAB because CTT isn't good enough on his own?

Are you even suggesting that Spurrier, Saban, Richt, or any other D-I head coach is "good enough" without a great staff around them, or did I misinterpret your statement? If so, you insult the coaching profession and the ntelligence level of this board to suggest otherwise. :thumbsdown:

Stat - nice post, one of several good posts lately. Thanks for the good info.....

i think he's suggesting that tubby is just as good a head coach as saban or richt. the original post refered to them as great matchups for spurrier, but when tubby came around he was listed as CTT/CAB. i agree that tubbs is good enough to be listed on his lonesome just like richt or saban. and all of them need the staffs they've compiled to be great (saban with jimbo fisher, richt with van gorder, tubby with chizik and borges).

Archived