Gator players not happy........

Tigerfan

Some Gators might leave following 'ill-timed' Zook firing

Oct. 26, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The decision to fire Florida coach Ron Zook was welcomed by Gator fans around the country.

Advertisement

It didn't get the same reception in the locker room.

Players strongly defended their coach Tuesday and chastised athletic director Jeremy Foley for the timing of the move.

"He basically just ripped the heart out of the team," safety Jarvis Herring said. "He kept saying it was all about the team, all about the team. No, it's not about the team. It's really about the damn boosters and the fans or whatever. That's all it's about. It's nothing about us. We're just in the middle. We're just trapped."

Zook held a team meeting Monday to inform the players of his dismissal, then gave the floor to Foley. What followed was another embarrassing scene in what has become a season filled with them for the Gators.

Some players yelled at Foley. Others got up and walked out.

Florida AD Jeremy Foley draws the ire of some players after Ron Zook's firing.(AP)

"It got very heated," Herring said. "The questions only lasted 10 minutes. If it would've lasted any longer, there's no telling what might've happened."

Linebacker Travis Harris was one of the few players who stood up in the meeting and questioned Foley about the firing, which came five days before Florida's annual rivalry game against 10th-ranked Georgia.

"I just let him know that it wasn't well-thought out," said Harris, a senior. "If a decision needs to be made, that's cool. But if the coach is going to remain the whole season, why put a damper on this year like that? Why not wait?

"I just don't understand that. It just felt like he was saying, 'Forget the rest of this season. I don't care what you guys think."'

Harris said Foley never actually answered his question.

"He just gave me the run-around," Harris said. "He said you're entitled to your opinion. He felt like it was the best thing to do and blah, blah, blah."

CONTINUED: 1 · 2 · Next »

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

That would be a trip if the players walked. Yea, the boosters and fans put the pressure on to get Zook out. Now, get Spurrier in and all of the Gator Nation with their storied history(of 10 years :D:P:P No titles pre-Spurrier) is so happy and comforted in the knowledge that they are BACK BABY!!!

Oh, wait...where did all the players go? You mean we got the evil genious back and he has no one to coach?? :D

Try starting from scratch in the SEC you wonderful boosters. Never happen but it sounds good anyway.

I feel sorry for those players, and who knows, they may be able to rally around Zook this weekend and get him a big time win against UGA. It reallu is a shame that they would do this in the middle of the season. I hope the players gave Foley more than what the article says. He deserves it!!!!!!!!!

:uf: will now beat :uga: again.

Players come and go. Alumni and boosters generally stay involved (for better or worse) for more than 4 years. Too bad the players didn't show that emotion on the football field. :blink::blink: Too little too late. UF should have sacked Foley while they were at it for creating this mess.

Yo' , lsuj2006...ONE question..... T R O Y !?!?! :D:D:big::P

Archived