UGA "Goats"

Tigerfan

Here's some ammo when the UGA-lly's come calling in the next couple of weeks.....

Shoot the Billy Goats... :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of us that live in Ga and have to put up the Ugag crap year round, I have some very effective ammo that i have been dishing out to UGA fans that i thought i would share.....

UGA's first mascot was not a bulldog... It was actually a goat... Thats right, a tin can eating goat... The dressed it up in there beloved red and black, slapped a funny hat on, tied some ribbons to his horns a proudly marched out for a billly goat to represent UGA for its first ever football game (vs. AU)... "Shoot the Billy Goat" jeers cause the univ to change its mascot to a bulldog 2 years later...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief History of the Bulldog Mascot

at the University of Georgia

Georgia's mascot for its first football game against Auburn, played February 22, 1892, in Atlanta, Georgia, was a goat, according to the University of Georgia Athletic Association.

Old newspaper clippings say the goat of honor wore a black coat sporting red "U.G." letters on each side. He also wore a hat with ribbons tied down his high horns. The Auburn fans shouted "Shoot the billy-goat!" throughout the game.

So how did the University of Georgia at Athens acquire its current bulldog mascot and nickname? Many old timers say that it was derived from the blue and white Yale Bulldog. The University of Georgia had strong ties with Yale in its early years. Abraham Baldwin, the first president of UGA, was a Yale man.

In 1894, two years after the appearance of the goat mascot at athletic events, a solid white female bull terrier began to appear at Georgia athletic events as the team mascot. But this dog mascot appeared only occasionally, and not officially.

I live in Ga... After if found this out last week, i started firing it out left and right... Most deny it, but i fire a few convincing facts at them and tuck tail and scurry away... For those of you that don't live in Ga, People here worship that ugly little bulldog like he spent his life in Jesus's lap (yard statues and the likes)... You can chop there proud heritage out from under them in one quick swipe... I have even found this jab to be funnier and more effective than calling the cajuns corndogs... So when the cocky UGA fans start showing up over the next two weeks, we can let the billty goats have it. :P

So, I guess that "U.G." on the side of the goat (at the first game) stood for:

"University Goat"! :cheer:

or maybe

"Ugly Goat" :lol:

or

"Useless Goat" :no:

or

"Unnecessary Goat" :o

or maybe they just thought it was one of their "Ugly Girls"! :roflol:

You guys must be pretty blind and deaf then because they have mentioned the last two years during Auburn/Georgia that our first mascot was a goat.

Surprised you didnt know this already

The Goats have the ball at the 10 yard line. Back to pass is Greene.....No! Wait a minute! He's eating the 10 yard line! I've seen it all. The Goats are eating the field. And look out, here comes a Tiger onto the field! The Goats are trying to get away. It's unreal! There are Goats running everywhere! And wait! Look out from above! A damn WAR EAGLE is carrying off the head Goat! That's right! The Head Billy Goat is up and away..........................

What a mess! :roflol::poke:

It would seem that nearly everybody had a goat for a mascot back then. Goats were common and were a cheaper souce of milk than cows. Also easier to keep than a cow. Even the Little Rascals had a goat.

Archived