Mississippi State not playing in the post-season

IrishWarEagle

bg, believe it or not, I actually respect you. (And I have stated this many times.)

I do not think that Miss St got "hammered", but, with what I know of their "violations" I am not shocked that the NCAA didn't throw their bodies in the street and run over them with a bulldozer either. They have not, to the best of my knowledge, had a recent run in with the NCAA concerning their Football program prior to this. THAT is why I think uat got HAMMERED. The NCAA had just went through this with your guys a few years back and nothing changed. Some would say that things actually got worse.

Anyway, Just because I poke a little fun at you is not an attack. Please remember, your guys still have a chance at a good season and a Bowl Game. Don't take all of this too serious. You may blow a fuse that you need. :D

p.s. I am sure if you were to carry this discussion to a uat board, the replies would be more in agreement with you. THAT is just the nature of the BEAST. :au:

Bama got punished for breaking the rules. They could have got the death penalty. You should be happy. I know you did not come to an Auburn board looking for sympathy.

MSU got punished for breaking the rules. They deserved worse? I think so based on past SEC cases. Now if you read the side caption at sportsline its says. "NCAA hits MSU hard!". I do find that funny.

Seems to be implied by the UAT crowd that the NCAA was light on MSU because of their new Coach? The better question is why was UAT not smart enough to make a strategic move like that?

Maybe the NCAA just hates Bama? I could not disagree with them.

I am just tired of hearing the unfairness argument. Sounds just like a spoiled child who doesn't understand the point of a long overdue spanking.

Well the reason i ask..is because Yeager made the whole "staring down the barrel of a gun" quote because of our repeat violator status.

But what PUT us in that status was a self reported near violation that we stopped before it happened. And fired the coach who tried it. And it was from the BASKETBALL team.

I didn't WANT MSU to get slammed. They have enough to overcome as it is. But i do think it is quite hypocritical of the NCAA to say they were 'tougher' with MSU because they were repeat violators. Where is the toughness? They aren't limited to how many kids they sign (up to 25) as long as they only have 81 schollied players on the roster for the next two years. And the post season ban is a flat out joke. If you can't see through banning a 2-5 team that has 4 remaining games from postseason play...then i feel for you.

When they penalized us...they did a FUTURE bowl ban. Remember, we went to the indy bowl in 2001. But when they hit us with our penalties, there was a chance we wouldnt be bowl bound. We had to beat AU and USM to become eligible. Thats why they hit us in the future. It really hurt us in 02 because we would possibly have made a BCS bowl...just under that at least.

To me, it just shows how 'selective' the NCAA is in their punishments. This, the Maryland case, and the Michigan case further prove my point. The violations we admitted to and self penalized for were less than MSU's. The only other two things we got in trouble for were 1) the logan young thing which they have yet to prove. And 2) the Kenny Smith thing which was flat out wrong. So take away the #2 and all you have is the logan young thing.

I know you guys wanted to see bama burn. But in looking at this thing (msu's case) its easy to see that the NCAA doesnt follow any precedent or means of equality...they do what they want.

The only reason AU fans say we 'could' or 'should' have gotten the dealth penalty is because of what Yeager said. The man likes to talk tough, but had no merit to suggest we were close to the death penalty.

How are you going to say there was NO lack of institutional control...but say we deserved the death penalty? If it was because of repeat violator status...why didnt MSU get the same threat?

I guess Bama did nothing wrong after all. Heck, why don't to NCAA just let ya'll pay players give 200 scholarships for the next 50 years. Under those conditions, I bet UAT could even field a team that would compete with those of the Bear's.

This thread is getting ugly. bg, I stand by what I said. MSU got hit. Was it hard enough? Was it at the whim of the NCAA?

Who am I or a collective "we" to judge?

"People in glass houses and all".

I prefer to focus on the here and now. AU has a great season going on. uat could very well have a better than expected season at this point.

Let's let it go and concentrate on old miss and ms state. That is what our "teams" can control. (Or at least we hope they can.) :)

ONE at a time....WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

bg, believe it or not, I actually respect you. (And I have stated this many times.)

I do not think that Miss St got "hammered", but, with what I know of their "violations"  I am not shocked that the NCAA didn't throw their bodies in the street and run over them with a bulldozer either. They have not, to the best of my knowledge, had a recent run in with the NCAA concerning their Football program prior to this. THAT is why I think uat got HAMMERED. The NCAA had just went through this with your guys a few years back and nothing changed. Some would say that things actually got worse.

Anyway, Just because I poke a little fun at you is not an attack. Please remember, your guys still have a chance at a good season and a Bowl Game. Don't take all of this too serious. You may blow a fuse that you need. :D

p.s. I am sure if you were to carry this discussion to a uat board, the replies would be more in agreement with you. THAT is just the nature of the BEAST. :au:

115950[/snapback]

I agree with you WarTim!

Just when things were starting to get a little civil, quiet makes me spew Coke on my keyboard ! ! ! :D

aren't they 2-5 right now??? i mean if they can beat arkansas, alabama, ole miss (and whoever else is on their schedule) they are bowl eligible!!! leave it to the ncaa to take away all those kids have to fight for! just when things were turning around! what an unjustly harsh moment!

What bothers me is that Alabama fans said that they shouldn't be hit hard because their coach and others were not with the program anymore.

Well, neither is MSU's so why the hypocritical talk?

What bothers me is that Alabama fans said that they shouldn't be hit hard because their coach and others were not with the program anymore.

116876[/snapback]

Because that was the EXACT reasoning behind why Michigan basketball won their appeal. The ncaa said that because the players and coaches were no longer there...they would let them off the hook.

116876[/snapback]

Because that was the EXACT reasoning behind why Michigan basketball won their appeal. The ncaa said that because the players and coaches were no longer there...they would let them off the hook.

116881[/snapback]

Do Basketball and Football have different groups deciding?

116876[/snapback]

116881[/snapback]

Do Basketball and Football have different groups deciding?

116892[/snapback]

Does it matter? Wouldn't such broad policies apply to NCAA Athletics as a whole?

I am not sure. UGA didn't get off whatsoever with the Harrick case and we dumped our entire staff.

And before anyone starts ranting about us paying players and such remember that nothing was ever proven outside of 1 player being given money for a tv and a phone bill...along with the grade change for Cole. Not to say that we didnt deserve it but the rumors on the net were that we paid everyone, gave people cars, and lord knows what else.....

No...Yeager sat on the same comittee...and webber AND the booster admitted to the 450k dollars that changed hands.

They still let them off the hook. Said it wasnt fair to the players and coaches.

Archived