Everyone is penciling us in...

PChamp119

Everyone is penciling us in for Sugar and goin undefeated. Everyone says Auburn has the most balanced team. That it has a great offense and great defense. I agree we have a great offense, but our defense still questions me.

Don't get me wrong, I think we do have a great defense, but I honestly don't think Alabama (#1 in nation) and Auburn (#4) have had true tests. Alabama won't until it plays Auburn. UT has no offense. LSU aint that great either. UGA can have a great offense when clicking. UGA will be our first real defensive test I feel. If not, then Miami's. We can take UGA I believe, but I wouldn't "pencil it in"

Anyone else feel the same?

Have you ever thought that a really good defense, like we have at UA can make any offense look bad. LSU won it last year with defense. They didn't have an overpowering offense like we've shown so far. Arky had a decent offense. UT has a decent offense. We shut both of them down. No, we've not faced an overpowering offense yet this year, but we've played some decent offenses. LSU was the only team to hold us down, but our defense did the same to their offense. I'm not convinced that UA is really that good on D. The bammers will tell you different, but the only decent teams they've played beat them.

Dude, are you serious?

Untested? Despite substantial road wins over UT and Arky? Despite a win against the defending NC?

You still question a defense that has arguably exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations?

Some folks I just don't get.... :no:

Dude, are you serious?

Untested? Despite substantial road wins over UT and Arky?  Despite a win against the defending NC? 

You still question a defense that has arguably exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations?

115697[/snapback]

we played arkansas at home.

still impressive though.

Dude, are you serious?

Untested? Despite substantial road wins over UT and Arky?  Despite a win against the defending NC? 

115697[/snapback]

Agreed.

Our offense hasn't been tested against a major offensive team. I mean, yea Arkansas was #1 in the SEC before playing us, but look who they played? I duno how good Texas' D is, but... o well. Tennessee.... offense.... HAHA!!!!!!!!!! Ole Miss almost won the game cuz of their defense. Ole Miss' Defense... that's just not sounding right. UT has no offense. They played Bama and scored like 1 TD. Credit Bama has a "great defense" but ... it's Bama and was at home.

When I think of great offenses I think of: Auburn, Oklahoma, Miami, Purdue, and any other team that consistently puts up lots of points. No SEC team has a strong offense this year except for Auburn. The SEC is all defense this year for the most part.

But maybe I just don't get it

Our offense hasn't been tested against a major offensive team. I mean, yea Arkansas was #1 in the SEC before playing us, but look who they played? I duno how good Texas' D is, but... o well. Tennessee.... offense.... HAHA!!!!!!!!!! Ole Miss almost won the game cuz of their defense. Ole Miss' Defense... that's just not sounding right. UT has no offense. They played Bama and scored like 1 TD. Credit Bama has a "great defense" but ... it's Bama and was at home.

When I think of great offenses I think of: Auburn, Oklahoma, Miami, Purdue, and any other team that consistently puts up lots of points. No SEC team has a strong offense this year except for Auburn. The SEC is all defense this year for the most part.

But maybe I just don't get it

115724[/snapback]

Agreed.

I haven't looked at the projections but I feel secure that if we win out, we will be in Miami. I think we will take care of business this weekend in very impressive fashion. UGA will be the defining game for our season. If they beat UF this weekend and we take care of Cold Piss, this will be THE MOTHER OF ALL SEC MATCHUPS. B)

If we get past UGA, another top 10 team, we WILL vault past those ahead of us and be primed for a shot at the title. WDE and beat the hell out of Cold Piss. :au::au::au:

I haven't looked at the projections but I feel secure that if we win out, we will be in Miami.  I think we will take care of business this weekend in very impressive fashion.  UGA will be the defining game for our season.  If they beat UF this weekend and we take care of Cold Piss, this will be THE MOTHER OF ALL SEC MATCHUPS. B)

If we get past UGA, another top 10 team, we WILL vault past those ahead of us and be primed for a shot at the title.  WDE and beat the hell out of Cold Piss.  :au:   :au:   :au:

115731[/snapback]

I wish that were the case and I hate to sound like a pecimist, but that won't be the case. Even if we were to jump Miami, we wouldn't move ahead of Oklahoma in the BCS. We would have to be #1 or #2 in all the CPU rankings and OU would have to be #4 or worse for an average in theirs.

It's simple... Auburn will go undefeated, defeat Miami in The Sugar Bowl and everyone will say Auburn should win the AP poll, split it with USC/OU, but that won't happen because Auburn gets no respect. We should change our letters to USC if we want a split NC, but we are west coast possy's.

Would be some funny sh*t if Francione and aTm beat the Sooners and contributed to our getting a shot at the NC.

The WAAA criers (Western Alabama Alcoholics Association) would have a lot more to P&M about.

I'm sold on our defense...

:cheer:

115763[/snapback]

I just wanted to let youall know that I for one am for you all the rest of the way! You squeaked by us!(Sorry, I'm die-hard LSU by the way). Anyway I want to see the SEC in a major bowl game. NC would be nice!! I will temporarily overlook the cigars and the Tiger-eye!! Anyway,, Good Luck AU!!!!!!! :lsu:

At this rate, we'll go the entire season without being tested on defense. Certainly Ole Miss is no juggernaut, Georgia has had its problems, and we all know about Bama. Then in the SECCG, it will be another subpar defense, right? If then we somehow end up 12-0 and have to play Oklahoma or USC, will you question whether our defense can hang with their offenses because we haven't yet been tested? Those two teams don't exactly light it up like the old Spurrier teams.

How can a person say that UT and Arky are not good offenses? I challenge anyone to name an offense that you could say was really, really good. Utah? Minnesota? Cal? Purdue? These are all top offenses. They don't exactly strike fear into your heart do they? The fact is that since the departure of the Ol Ball Coach, SEC football has gone back to its old smash-mouth, ball-control style of play. Auburn isn't going to face an offense that lights it up like they do in other conferences. It doesn't mean, though, that we aren't going to be facing good offenses.

And just because an offense doesnt put up huge numbers, it doesnt mean that it isnt a really good offense. Remember, as fun as stats are, you must look at them in perspective. Would you say that Texas Tech or Louisville or Toledo has a better offense than we do? I guess the point I am trying to make is that our defense has risen to the occasion all year, and I have no reason to believe that it won't do so against any of our remaining opponents.

Have a little confidence in your team.

:au: WDE :au:

when you can keep the opposing defense on the field and still score points after most drives, you have a good offense....when you can hold offenses to under 300 yards and to a single digit final score,you have a good defense......we have both.........nuff said

the best thing about it all is that the schedule is set...we'll play it, and we'll get to see how we do against all comers!

so far, so good...not good, GRRRRREAT!

ct

While I would agree that our defense is playing well as a unit and doing very well, I too am still a little nervous.

The concern stems from the LSU game. How many OPEN receivers did their QB's simply miss? I realize we were giving them some stuff underneath and they helped us out by missing throws, but still it alarmed me then how many times if they had simply made a routine play that a drive would have remained alive or they would have had a big gain.

The good thing is that AU is more seasoned now since then and DCGC has done a remarkable job (as has OCAB) of game planning, so maybe my slight fear is for naught.

One game at a time...One game at a time...

I give Texas A&M a chance simply because Fran has them playing good and OU has to play Oklahoma State and A&M back to back. Hoping for a let down. Our defense is really good. Dispite all the questions, after eight games the proof is in the pudding. I truly believe we are the best team in the country, however, we have the toughest schedule remaining of the top four. We could lose to UGA or to UA and still be the best team in the SEC in twenty years. Our defense is as good as our 88 D which I thought was slightly better than UA's 92 D.

Regardless of what we do, I think that Miami and Oklahoma both could realistically lose a game in November. Here's hoping we don't.

Archived