Most unusual places you've

AU4Ever

A couple of nights ago, I was watching one of the obscure channels on the Dish. They had an interview with Bo, and he was telling his story about anywhere and every where he goes, he always hears a War Eagle. He added that AU fans must be everywhere.

This got me thinking about an experience I had in the late 80s. I used to work for a Defense Contractor and spent a great deal of time in Europe. I was driving the autobahn (interstate) between Mainz, Germany and Frankfurt. You see many American cars over there due to the large military presence. I started going around a Chrysler, and noticed a AU decal in the window. The guy driving must have thought I was crazy, because I started yelling and waving my hands at him. I motioned for him to roll down the window, he did and I gave him a rousing War Eagle, and he smiled, then gave me one back. He rolled the window up, I continued on around him and went on my way.

Any others have any weird or interesting Tiger Fan sightings to tell us about?

My mother used to tell me that during and after WWII, the story was that one could stand on any corner of the world and yell War Eagle and get a War Eagle or Beat Bama in response. I tried it in Cairo Egypt and it worked. In fact it usually worked all over.

I was in a motel in Sacremento, California watching So Cal and somebody when the announcer broke in three times to announce each of the blocked punts and the final score of the '72 alabama game. I stood on the balcony and yelled War Eagle and heard several responses.

I spent 22 years in the Air Force and was always stationed with Auburn people. Auburn's ROTC program is one of the very few with all three banches on campus and was one of the largest in the nation for each. Larger ROTC programs were VMI, Texas A&M, and The Citidel, but Auburn was one of the largest non-military type schools, not tha A&M is a military school but their tradition of the corps is neat.

I was at a car event in Weisbaden, Germany and walked by an individual with an Auburn cap and walked over and introduced myself. Not only was he an Auburn man but a distant cousin of mine.

I have done it in London, Madrid, and many places and it works.

In San Fransico, I took a tour of Alcatraz. To get there you must take a Ferry over to the island. I was wearing my Auburn hat, and had an older couple come up to me and say War Eagle while on the Ferry to the Rock. Turned out that they both got their degrees from Auburn in the mid-60s.

i've turned the war eagle in a crowd trick in new york city, rome, florence, london, and moscow. it's worked in each place. there are always auburn people close by.

In San Fransico, I took a tour of Alcatraz.  To get there you must take a Ferry over to the island.  I was wearing my Auburn hat, and had an older couple come up to me and say War Eagle while on the Ferry to the Rock.  Turned out that they both got their degrees from Auburn in the mid-60s.

115711[/snapback]

Same thing happened to me, but it was a couple about my age.

Happened again on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty last Thanksgiving.

My best story was in 1999. My wife and I were backpacking in Cascades National Park in Washington State. I was wearing my AU hat, as usual. We're setting up camp on our 3nd night of hiking, and when we get just about done, 4 young ladies come walking up the trail, and the first thing they say is "War Eagle". Turns out all 4 were students and one of the girls was from Spokane and had brought her friends home for the summer.

Regardless of where it happens, it always amazes my ( :lsu: ) wife that we really are everywhere.

Three stories:

1. This past Friday, I flew with my family from DFW to Birmingham on our way to the AU/KY game. As I passed through the security checkpoint, the guy working the X-Ray machine saw my wife's purse and yelled "War Eagle!" I returned the cheer, only to hear three more people yell it ahead of me in sequence. I was surprised to hear so many Auburn fans. Turns out the waiting area for the Birmingham flight was directly in front of the security checkpoint and there were several Auburn fans headed home from Dallas.

2. This spring, I was walking through the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria in New York City when I heard a loud "War Eagle" that turned the heads of those present in the normally reserved and somewhat stoic lobby. Four Auburn co-eds were spending a weekend at the Waldorf shopping in New York for their spring wardrobes. They had spotted my AU shirt that I was wearing while I went out for a little exercise. They trotted of to the waiting limo and continued to load their daddies' gold cards with charges. In the middle of my exercise venture to Central Park, an AU grad and his son surprised me with another "War Eagle" as I rested on a bench in the park.

3. Last fall, business took me to London for a few days. I was walking from my company's office in Mayfair to meet a friend at an Indian restaurant. I spotted a gentleman wearing an AU ball cap across the road and yelled "War Eagle!" He and I were both surprised when a man and lady on top of a nearby double-decker open air tour bus responded with a "War Eagle" before he had a chance to respond.

1. Walking in downtown London, I spotted a guy wearing a bammer

hat and gave him a big War Eagle!

2. My family and I were on vacation in Pennsylvania. We found an

Amish restaurant in a very small town. While we were eating, a

couple came up behind us and gave us a War Eagle. They had seen

our car outside with an AU tag.

When I used to have business in the New England area alot, I usually wore an :au: shirt during my free time around Boston. I always got a War Eagle while walking around Boston. What made that even sweeter, alot of times, our sales manager was with me and he was a Bama grad. He would were his bammer gear also, but he never ever got a Roll Tide. It even blew his mind how I would get so many War Eagles that far north.

plain and simple!

It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR EAGLE HEY

I was walking down the street in Portland, OR, and got 2 War Eagles from people. I was so happy because I never would have expected it in that part of the country. Since then it's happened in every city that I've ever been to. Good thread, this makes for some good stories.

Last year during the Alabama vs. Oklahoma game. Bryant Denny Stadium .We both were sick from the Ga. Tech game and wanted Bama to lose so badly. We were dragged there by our girlfreinds. Of course we bonded and are now very good friends. Misery loved company on that day.

Some 41 years ago a buddy and I were walking down Hollywood Blvd about 1:00 am wearing Auburn coats and heard a blood curdling "War Eagle" from a guy from Dothan, Alabama. He was living and working in Los Angeles. WDE!

Turks and Caicos British West Indies...

Walking into the small village (this is a very little island) with my AU cap on, I hear that familiar call from across the street..WAR EAGLE!!!!

One word...sweet!

I actually saw one of my professors at :au: in Seattle, Washington. I gave him a "War Eagle" and he responded.

I think it is apparent we have the best fans in the world.

:au:

I have traveled all over the world and heard War Eagle everywhere imaginable. Places like Moscow, Frankfort, Paris, London, Bordeaux, Rome, Istanbul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Honolulu, many airports, onboard ships, etc. It's truly amazing. I even got an Auburn nest doll at a flea market in Moscow with Sullivan, Beasley, Bo, Rocker and Fullwood.

At a bar in Charleston SC two weeks ago ... a good old Auburn gal.

Wonder if that was my wife <_<

When I was in Costa Rica, I was driving a four-wheeler down a dirt road when 2 folks flagged me down. I thought they needed a ride, but they just said "We wanted to say WAR EAGLE"

Archived