AcctTiger

Spurrier looks like he is on his way back in as the HC of the :uf:

Link

Spurrier looks like he is on his way back in as the HC of the  :uf:

Link

115793[/snapback]

An interesting take on Spurrier's return:

Just don't do it!

... Spurrier's ego wants the world to see he could win in the NFL. Or somewhere else in college football. He won the Heisman Trophy as Florida's quarterback, won the national championship as its coach, and in a lot of ways, he revolutionized the modern college passing game there. So, go back again? For what?

There's a part of Spurrier that has to be thriving on the way the Florida fandom is calling him home. The ego can be a powerful thing. He can go back to Gainesville and they'll call him, "Coach" again. And these guys want to be called "Coach", like a physician wants to be called "Doctor," and a Priest wants to be called "Father." In the pros, they don't call you coach. Everyone calls you by your name --- just Steve, or just Spurrier --- and he'll always be just, "Coach," in Gainesville.

Still, the novelty of returning to his old campus throne will wear off fast. Spurrier wouldn't fail upon his return, but his sequel could never meet everyone's expectations. After all, the days of him simply freelancing his way past the rest of the SEC are long gone. The conference caught up with him, and in some instances, passed him right by.

Everyone thinks he can climb back into a time capsule and bring back the Fun 'n Gun, but it won't happen. Spurrier will return to a world where he'll need to work harder, where he'll be searching for motivation, where there will be this nagging, knowing sense of, "Been there, done that."

Before it's too late, Steve Spurrier needs to understand: There's no going back again. There's no re-creating the magic. The man made his mark as an innovator. He should go back out into the coaching world, and innovate. We've already seen this play at the University of Florida.  ...

3 or 4 weeks ago, I'd have said, No way! Now, it' looks like he will return.

It rarely works but Steve Spurrier is unique. While he wasn't the most motivated college coach (IMO, burn out) when he left, he left things in pretty good shape. He definitely left the UF program better off than he found it. He'll do it again.

I think he will get the UF fans to calm down for a few years and set up the UF program to be successful when he decides to step down. He's not only interested in himself, but he's more interested in the longterm UF program stability.

If he returns, he will mandate they allow him to run the UF football program in it's entirety, including hiring his replacement a few years from now.

Spurrier won't get caught like Foley did missing out 3 or 4 times on big names and winding up hiring somebody like Ron Zook!

Lookout OU fans. I smell Stoops playing a lot of golf in Fla in the not to distant future.

How long will Chris Leak hang around when SS jerks him because he just threw off his back foot? He's hard on himself, but he's relentless on his QB's.

I think SS's an outstanding coach, but some QB's haven't panned out under his relentless style, i.e., Berlin, Martin, Dean, and the kid from Canada that his name escapes me. Who besides Weurfel and Grossman flourished under him?

Leak committed to Zook. Several of Zook's players are upset about this and the way it came down. Who's to say that some of the players won't decide to 'make a statatement' and leave?

While Spurrier is a brilliant coach, he doesn't impress me to be the most pleasant person to be around especially on gameday when things aren't going well.

Leak impresses me as a 'hot and cold' QB. SS eats cold QB's alive. My point was that if Leak gets pulled he might not react well to that coaching style. The odds of Spurrier yanking him out after a turnover vs. Ron Zook pulling him is very likely, IMO.

I think SS's an outstanding coach, but some QB's haven't panned out under his relentless style, i.e., Berlin, Martin, Dean, and the kid from Canada that his name escapes me.  Who besides Weurfel and Grossman flourished under him?

Leak committed to Zook.  Several of Zook's players are upset about this and the way it came down.  Who's to say that some of the players won't decide to 'make a statatement' and leave?

While Spurrier is a brilliant coach, he doesn't impress me to be the most pleasant person to be around especially on gameday when things aren't going well.

Leak impresses me as a 'hot and cold' QB.  SS eats cold QB's alive. My point was that if Leak gets pulled he might not react well to that coaching style.  The odds of Spurrier yanking him out after a turnover vs. Ron Zook pulling him is very likely, IMO.

115828[/snapback]

Shane Mathews...

Spurrier was about 50-50 in terms of his QB's posting Heisman like numbers or just posting numbers average to the SEC. Even Dean had big numbers before he was yanked. I agree that he is relentless towards his QB's but the results...

2107-3482-124-29.326yds-265tds in nine combined seasons.

:o:o:o

I, for one, am still not sold on Spurrier coming back just yet with Mechan/Foley heading their school.

Rumors have it that Mechan wants someone other then Spurrier

I think SS's an outstanding coach, but some QB's haven't panned out under his relentless style, i.e., Berlin, Martin, Dean, and the kid from Canada that his name escapes me.  Who besides Weurfel and Grossman flourished under him?

115828[/snapback]

Jesse Palmer was the Canadian.

I, for one, am still not sold on Spurrier coming back just yet with Mechan/Foley heading their school.

Rumors have it that Mechan wants someone other then Spurrier

115921[/snapback]

You may be right, but if Spurrier does want the job and they don't hire him, the two of them will probably be out of a job fairly soon.

It isn't that they arent going to hire him but I got the sense reading the UF Insiders board that the President would purposfully try to put restrictions on things Spurrier had to do, hence him NOT wanting to take the job.

Granted, the President would still be lynched.

Heck, go to their boards GatorCountry.com and there are multiple posts BASHING their President.

I don't know about Spurrier to Florida. I am uf the belief that you can't go back home. Once you leave something and try to return, it is never the same.

The Florida fans & Alums WANT SOS to the point of WHATEVER IS NEEDED.

If the AD must go, He is gone!

I may be wrong, but, that is the way it sounds.

With Spurrier expressing interest, I don't see how they can avoid hiring him. If the powers that be don't hire him, I assure you they'll need a new job. Why wouldn't Spurrier want to go back? It's a position he's comfortable with. Some of his recruits will still be there. The fans love him and the management knows what he'll want. It makes perfect sense.

i disagree that spurrier was hit or miss with his qbs. not all of them were danny wonderful or rexie baby, but they were all above average. he put shane matthews in the league. he put jesse palmer and doug johnson in the league (and palmer was the bachelor... if that's relevant). ingle martin was awful, and i doubt he ever would've started for stevie. i think gavin dickey or some young gun would've stepped in. the only guy that really didn't pan out was terry dean, and auburn wrecked him.

spurrier will add buzz to florida that they haven't had lately. that'll bring in recruits, and we all know his system works in college. i think it's a vast overstatement to say that the sec had figured out the fun-n-gun. he won the sec his last year, won the east the year before. if he comes back, florida is right back on the level with uga, lsu, ut, and us.

I don't know about Spurrier to Florida.  I am uf the belief that you can't go back home.  Once you leave something and try to return, it is never the same.

115939[/snapback]

This is certainly possible. Can today's Steve Spurrier compete with the image of Steve Spurrior that Florida fans have in their minds?

By the time he left college ball, Spurrier was no longer looking invincible. Good, yes..I suspect he's still a damn good coach and will win many games. But the days of totally dominating the SEC were ending when he left, as others caught up to him and learned to defend against his Run-n-Gun offenses. I'm not sure he would dominate the likes of the Auburn, Georgia, LSU coaching staffs today.

Which raises the question, can he live up to Gator expectations? Could Bear Bryant, if he were around, live up to the exalted image so many fans have of him? Can Steve Spurrier live up to the inflated, god-like expectations Florida fans project onto his image? The real Spurrier will always be competing against the Spurrier of Florida mythology.

If I were him, I'd say "To hell with that pressure at this point in my life" and do something else.

I completely agree, but I don't know if Spurrier's ego will allow him to say 'no, thanks'. If he sees the light, I would expect him to show up at some place like North Carolina where expectations won't be sky high and just winning 7 games would be applauded. Or, just enjoy retirement.

GUys, no one in NCAA Div 1-a has the ego of SOS.

He will either come back to be a Gator again. That is a position in which he revels.

Or he want because he doesnt think he will be as successful.

I don't think that people understand how many groups Spurrier pissed off when he left Florida.

If not hired because the President wanted Spurrier to "promise" 5-6+ years or other normal restrictions.....I think the President would be mocked a lot by the Internet idiots and a lot of UF fans but I am not sure he would be gone.

Archived