Fast Notes, 8/8/12 UPDATE: 10:05 a.m., Thursday, 8/9/12

Elephant Tipper

No way 8 or 9 sacks is a good thing for the team as a whole.  Our DL has lots of promise, but that has to be about the maturity and meshing of the OL.  There's no accounting for how much you need your offensive linemen to be getting reps together.

I agree.

But sometimes these things are more about the matchups the coaches choose for whatever reason. For instance, we have inexperienced players on the offensive line and running back spot. Might be they wanted to see how/teach lineman and/or running backs picked up blitz's, etc?

Agree. It's my understanding that a number of the sacks in yesterday's scrimmage were attributed to the LB's. Great indication of what to expect from BVG's more aggressive defensive strategy.

^^^THIS. The LBs took a step forward yesterday.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way 8 or 9 sacks is a good thing for the team as a whole.  Our DL has lots of promise, but that has to be about the maturity and meshing of the OL.  There's no accounting for how much you need your offensive linemen to be getting reps together.

I agree.

But sometimes these things are more about the matchups the coaches choose for whatever reason. For instance, we have inexperienced players on the offensive line and running back spot. Might be they wanted to see how/teach lineman and/or running backs picked up blitz's, etc?

Agree. It's my understanding that a number of the sacks in yesterday's scrimmage were attributed to the LB's. Great indication of what to expect from BVG's more aggressive defensive strategy.

^^^THIS. The LBs took a step forward yesterday.

So we are already in game preparations for Clemson.  ;D:thumbsup:

for all of the dooms-dayers go watch the videos of the coaches discussing the scrimmage and you will get a better understanding of how they feel the team did.  CBV was quite positive about the defense's performance and CSL said some things were execelent and there was some high level execution, but needs to be more consistent. 

Sounds encouraging to me.  I am ready for some football  :aufb:  :wedance:

for all of the dooms-dayers go watch the videos of the coaches discussing the scrimmage and you will get a better understanding of how they feel the team did.  CBV was quite positive about the defense's performance and CSL said some things were execelent and there was some high level execution, but needs to be more consistent. 

Sounds encouraging to me.  I am ready for some football  :aufb:   :wedance:

I am sure there is lots of improvement to be made. Two new systems and these guys are still learning them. However, like you said, I am sure it is better than the perception a lot of people have gotten from the quotes. When have you heard a coach on this staff not say there needs to be improvement? Our coaches are pushing these player's in every way they can.

First scrimmage with so many new O-Linemen it is expected that players get beat. There are two ways for an O-line to get beat one is the other player beats you because he is better the other is you are new and didn't work well as a unit.  From what I have read about the talent of our O-linemen I don't think it is because of reason number 1. Reason number 2 is expected in first scrimmage for a new unit, time together and practice addresses this.

I have said a few times in the past I have faith in the talent we have at O-line but it is a race as to how fast they gel and become a cohesive unit. They need to be good enough for Clemson and then get better every week thereafter.

I was happy to see the LBrs seemed to do well as this was a concern, I was a little disapointed to hear about missed tackles especially from the DB's as they are often the last line of defense and a missed tackle there can be more impactive then a missed tackle  by a d-linemen as other are waiting to help out.  Again first scrimmage tackling can be addressed.

Some more notes from a friend that was there. Some of this we have read but there is some elaboration on some things that were a concern...

Onterio looked good. Holland looked good surprisingly. Dline is best in conference, lots of sacks. They blew the whistle when they got to the qb.  Frazier looked solid. He did have some bad throws but he will get that fixed. Blakely is our best rb. He showed that last night. Jovon Robinson is huge and runs good. The starting OL had 2 freshman at guards in.Diamond Kozan. And don't read into the freshman starting at guard tonight. Just getting them reps due to we dont have alot of depth there. Westerman and Sullen will start if sullen is healthy.

Yes, I think Diamond and Kozan getting snaps with the 1's has a lot more to do with that. Since it appears Mack wont be a factor for now, Grimes is going to protect his 2 starters at guard. It's critical.  At the same time he has to get 2 good players solid with taking snaps as guards with the 1's should they be needed. Fr Diamond, a big tackle, is new at playing guard and needs those snaps, as does Fr Kozan. They both need to be able to mesh with Dismukes, Robinson and Slade. This was the first scrimmage and it was a good time for it. But the sooner we get the 5 starters at 100% (Robinson, Sullen, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade) the better. Those 5 need to take as many snaps together as possible in the next 3 weeks.     

Mods delete this post if you deem necessary .....

I don't mean to trash any of our previous coaching staff, I appreciate their efforts and what they helped AU accomplish in their time on the Plains.

But, I can't help but be overjoyed by CBVG - that man does not settle for half-ass performance on his defense.  His comments about shoddy tackling/missed tackles/busted coverages/coverage breakdowns, etc.  remind me so much of exactly what we saw from this defense last season.  BVG will not stand by and let that type of performance continue from these players. 

I firmly believe the will start TODAY to get these deficiences fixed pronto. 

Our players appeared to have lacked the basic fundamentals of tackling and angle pursuit last year.  I feel confident in knowing we won't see those bad habits raise their ugly heads again this year.

Thanks BVG!  :bow:

UPDATE: 

Podcast from Jay Tate on WSPN: http://wnsp.com/wordpress/?page_id=2148

Podcasts are not dated properly.  For today select hour 3 which will be the third one down.  JT's interview begins at 4:20.  About 7:45 duration.

Good insight into Wednesday's practice. 

if we were going live i dont think kiehl gets sacked too much. they probably blow the play dead when he could have eluded the tackle.

UPDATE: 

Podcasts are not dated properly.  For today select hour 3 which will be the third one down.  JT's interview begins at 4:20.  About 7:45 duration.

Isn't WNSP in Montgomery?  If so, why is their podcast background of Bryant-Denny???  >:(

I don't mean to trash any of our previous coaching staff, I appreciate their efforts and what they helped AU accomplish in their time on the Plains.

But, I can't help but be overjoyed by CBVG - that man does not settle for half-ass performance on his defense.  His comments about shoddy tackling/missed tackles/busted coverages/coverage breakdowns, etc.  remind me so much of exactly what we saw from this defense last season.  BVG will not stand by and let that type of performance continue from these players. 

Our players appeared to have lacked the basic fundamentals of tackling and angle pursuit last year.  I feel confident in knowing we won't see those bad habits raise their ugly heads again this year.

Thanks BVG!   :bow:

I agree with everything you said - but lets not forget that BVG has to reciprocate what Roof did to get the ultimate thanks from me...he has gotta help this team to win a BCS title. Stats are nice championships are better...

I agree with everything you said - but lets not forget that BVG has to reciprocate what Roof did to get the ultimate thanks from me...he has gotta help this team to win a BCS title. Stats are nice championships are better...

Roof had very little to do with 2010.  Other than the obvious, Cam and the O, thank TRocker and Nick Fairley primarily for what success the D did have.  If EVER there was a case of riding coattails and being in the right place at the right time with minimal contribution, AU winning the BCS championship with Roof as DC is it.

wde

UPDATE: 

Isn't WNSP in Montgomery?   If so, why is their podcast background of Bryant-Denny???  >:(

Bay Minette.  They broadcast AU football/b'ball games.  No UA games although they have a link for UpDorks to learn how to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNSP

Roof had very little to do with 2010.  Other than the obvious, Cam and the O, thank TRocker and Nick Fairley primarily for what success the D did have.  If EVER there was a case of riding coattails and being in the right place at the right time with minimal contribution, AU winning the BCS championship with Roof as DC is it.

wde

Umm...Josh Bynes says hello.  :dunno::thumbsup:

UPDATE: 

Isn't WNSP in Montgomery?   If so, why is their podcast background of Bryant-Denny???  >:(

Bay Minette.  They broadcast AU football/b'ball games.  No UA games although they have a link for UpDorks to learn how to read.

Wnsp doesn't do auburn football any more. Just south Alabama football since thwy are based out of mobile. Auburn is on 710 am in the area (where I'm from).

UPDATE: 

Wnsp doesn't do auburn football any more. Just south Alabama football since thwy are based out of mobile. Auburn is on 710 am in the area (where I'm from).

Thank you for the correction.  I was relying on Wikipedia to be accurate.....for ONCE.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

UPDATE: 

Thank you for the correction.  I was relying on Wikipedia to be accurate.....for ONCE.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

no problem. It's a recent change.

Archived