Disgusting

API50

Price's lawyer was on JOX today "disconnecting" his client from the story ---whatever that means. The story came out of the Tuscaloosa paper today.

BG, there were more members of the Red Elephant club blabbing the story around than anyone.

Even as much as Finebaum would have liked to fan the CTT stupid allegation, he squelched any such notion. You guys from/in Tuscaloosa are developing some serious rival-coach paranoia sh*t.

BG, there were more members of the Red Elephant club blabbing the story around than anyone.

Even as much as Finebaum would have liked to fan the CTT stupid allegation, he squelched any such notion.  You guys from/in Tuscaloosa are developing some serious rival-coach paranoia sh*t.

116355[/snapback]

Even PF said CTT had nothing to do with this story. There were hudreds of people down at the golf tournament that could have spread the story. My recall of this was that the real story broke when a caller to PF Show, supposedly from Buffalo Rock? (a drink company in Bham-nonetheless) called in and claimed he was a nephew of Spina's (AU BOT member). He related the story on air, then PF had the show CALL him so they could verify he was who he said he was. PF HAD ALREADY HINTED AT THE STORY ALREADY AND OBVIOUSLY KNEW OF IT.

CTT wasnt in on that at all. guys, there were hundreds of folks there. There is no reason to think that it would not have gotten out sometime.

And for any UAT fans out there trying to smear CTT on this one, aint gonna wash. The reporter for SI is likely just trying to CHA over the trouble he has brought on SI and to also add to the sensationalism already around all this. Face it. The story in SI has been basically debunked as fiction already.

On the one hand, I hesitate to keep air in this balloon by even bringing up the thread again.

But on the other hand, this article in Today's Mobile Register is pertinent and revealing:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...18227276372.xml

Sunday, October 31, 2004

OXFORD, Miss. -- An attorney for former Alabama coach Mike Price said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville may have leaked rumors about Price's alleged indiscretions during a Pensacola, Fla., golf outing in April 2003.

Steve Heninger told the Opelika-Auburn News that notes subpoenaed from Sports Illustrated writer Don Yaeger could point to Tuberville as the source of the rumors.

The report in the Opelika-Auburn News quoted Heninger as saying: "What came out is that in Yaeger's notes ... that he (had) a conversation with Neal McCready, who's a reporter in Mobile. And that since Tuberville was at the tournament that it (Yaeger's notes) says 'Tommy Tuberville probably leaked it.'"

McCready, a Register sports reporter, said he provided Yaeger no information related to Tuberville.

"It's patently false," McCready said. "I never talked to Tommy Tuberville about Mike Price and never told anybody that I did."

But if I may speak more on generalities than specifics:

1) When did we as a society lose the ability to distinguish rumor and supposition from fact. Why do we jump to conclusions based on the least specualtion? It is possible that the future could prove the rumored Tuberville connection to be fact, but it has never been anything but speculation and suppostion to date. Even the lawyer's own notes only used ambiguous words like "may have", "could", and "probably". At the time of the Pensacola incident, I chose to ignore the Price rumor and treated it as idle, unsubstantiated gossip until it was factually obvious that at least something happened (even if the exact SI version is still under question in court). Of course, it seemed like such an outrageous story at first that it was easy to treat it like ridiculous gossip.

2) When did we as a society start giving whistle-blowers less respect than the wrong-doers? I thought it was considered good citizenship to report wrong-doing. Whoever leaked the Price story may have been motivated by a desire to embarrass UA, and Phil Fulmer may be a scumbag, but why are they treated with more vile than Mike Price and the coaches/boosters who committed the acts.

Archived