Please stop the National Championship Talk

PowerI

I'm begging all of you to stop talking about us winning the National Championship. We have three tough games ahead. I think the coaches, players, and fans should be focused on the next three games instead of the National Championship. This kind of talk went on last year before the season and look what happened.

Yep, after 8 games, fans talkng about the MNC will cause Jason Campbell to forget how to run the offense, Ronnie and Carnell won't know which way to run, and the D will roll over like a cheap French hooker at the sight of 5$ American.

But seriously, if not now, when ? Oh, wait till AFTER Auburn has accepted the invite to what ever bowl they'll be invited to and the very slim shot of a MNC game may or may not form......THEN is it ok ?

This isn't the attitude we had back in '93, when our chances were MUCH more unlikely.

I felt this team was good before the season and now I know it. We are going to beat Ole Miss, Ga, Bammer and Tenn and play whoever is left for the national championship.

I'm begging all of you to stop talking about us winning the National Championship.  We have three tough games ahead.  I think the coaches, players, and fans should be focused on the next three games instead of the National Championship.  This kind of talk went on last year before the season and look what happened.

116022[/snapback]

It is well known that the pre-season chatter on this board caused the collapse of AU football last season.

Yes....Please stp talking about the National Championship...

Like AUDadTwice so Elegantly put...

"How in the world could anyone believe Auburn will win a national championship in football? You might as well believe that the Red Sox will win the World Series. You might as well predict that Phil Mickelson will finally win a major, or that somebody like Vijay Singh will finally replace Tiger Woods as the number one golfer in the world.

Auburn win the national championship? Why, you might as well look through those orange-colored glasses and say Jason Campbell is the best quarterback in the SEC. You might as well predict that Auburn could go to Neyland Stadium and put 31 points on UT in the first half.

You might as well believe that Mississippi State can beat Florida. Or that Maine could beat Mississippi State. Or that Troy can beat Missouri.

Seriously, there is a lot of football left to be played, and AU has some stern tests. AU also needs a little luck with USC, OU, and UM. But, there is a genuine opportunity. I don't think the players and coaches want to let it slip by.

WAR EAGLE!"

Why not talk about it...it should happen!

I firmly believe that Auburn is one of the best teams in the ation, if not THE best!

I have been waiting for a year ike this for a ong time!!!!!

Freaking Enjoy It!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the coaches, players, and fans should be focused on the next three games instead of the National Championship.

I do think looking ahead is bad but only if you are the coach or the players. Hey this is football and we as fans should be able to wish and think whatever we would like. Don't tell me last night the Red Soxs fans haven't talked about winning the World Series since last year. If we aren't allowed to talk about it anymore then I have no reason spending money every Saturday to go support the team or being a fan at all. Whether we make it to the big dance or not I am so proud of our Team and Coaches for the job they have done.

I'm begging all of you to stop talking about us winning the National Championship.  We have three tough games ahead.  I think the coaches, players, and fans should be focused on the next three games instead of the National Championship.  This kind of talk went on last year before the season and look what happened.

116022[/snapback]

Geeze dude how can you even have the word power in your username? Quit being such a wuss!

Sure, Auburn could easily lose before the regular season's up. I don't think it hurts anything for fans to talk about the "what if's" on message boards though. It might hurt to look back on your old posts if Auburn were to lose though.

I remember all the LSU statisticians that came out of the woodwork last year, talking about all those BCS points and how all those "inferior" teams were hurting their SOS...then UF comes along and makes fools out of them (eventhough they were able to play for the NC WITH a loss).

It could happen...but right now we're dominating. I say enjoy it while it lasts...it's not like you're on the team or whatever.

I will take all of this into consideration as I put on my LUCKY hat-LUCKY sweat band-LUCKY socks etc..... on Saturday morning. After all, as my buddy jaydubb put it "Hey, It's all about me!"

It is okay to be superstitious. So long as this team stays "focused", The sky is the limit. But, as Barney told Andy : "I am just bein' cautious" ! ! ! :D:cheer::au:

I guess I'm too late. I had the whole team over for dinner last night and heaped praises on each and every one of them. Told them they were the best team ever and that the MNC was going to be given to them without playing good in anymore games. I told them they didn't even have to win anymore games to become National Champs. I had their heads so big by the time I finished, they couldn't get out the door. Had to call a carpenter to make the doorframe bigger just to clear the house.

I guess I'm too late.  I had the whole team over for dinner last night and heaped praises on each and every one of them. Told them they were the best team ever and that the MNC was going to be given to them without playing good in anymore games. I told them they didn't even have to win anymore games to become National Champs. I had their heads so big by the time I finished, they couldn't get out the door.  Had to call a carpenter to make the doorframe bigger just to clear the house.

116037[/snapback]

Damn you and your reckless over confidence!

( shakes fist in fit of furious rage! ) :angry:

:roflol:

I agree!!! To this point, I have not mentioned the possibilites in any of my posts and this will be the first and last post you will hear my talk about until that talk is necessary. IMO it is necessary when we are officially in the bowl game that has us playing for the NC. Until then, I only will talk about winning a SEC championship, which should be our number one goal right now. What gets me upset is that I am starting to hear alot of :au: nation talking about NC all the time and never mentioning making sure we win the SEC first. Here we all were making the SEC our goal, but now you hardly even hear the talk about it. Too much "counting your chickens before the are hatched" if you ask me. I don't think we can be as fortunate as OU was last year by losing our Conference championship and still playing for the NC. We still have to play an Ole Miss team that has improved from the beginning of the year, a tough Georgia game, and a "throw the records out of the window" game against bammer. Then if we do beat at least one of those teams and clinch the West, we still have to play either Georgia or Tennessee for a second time and beat them! I know that it has been awhile for us to have this much excitement and so much at stake for our beloved team during this time of year, but let's not get too crazy with all the talk. What has made this team so good is that they have focused on one game at a time and have stay unified. I belive :au: nation needs to take some tips from the team and focus on one game at a time. Let all the media do the hyping. WAR EAGLE!!!

I understand not getting ahead of ourselves but it doesn't hurt to dream and wish. After seeing this team perform this year, there is something special going on. The odds are against us but it can happen. This team believes in itself and I believe in them. Win or lose, we all have to have a goal set high and dare to believe that we can achieve it. If you take away dreams, fantasies, hopes, expectations, wishes, then we will be no better off than the pre-Reagan Russia. There is too much agony, hunger, violence, war, oppression, etc in this world. Let us dream and wish upon that star. Let it be known that wishes and dreams do come true and I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES too.

WAR EAGLE AND TAKE ONE GAME AT A TIME.

We are fans.. we are here to talk about national championships. Get over it..

BTW.. even though we are ranked #4.. IMO we havn't played a true tough team yet.. and Ole miss/ Georgia/ Alabama will be soo tough... even if it is Ole Miss and Alabama.

We are fans.. we are here to talk about national championships. Get over it..

BTW.. even though we are ranked #4.. IMO we havn't played a true tough team yet.. and Ole miss/ Georgia/ Alabama will be soo tough... even if it is Ole Miss and Alabama.

116048[/snapback]

We have played tougher teams than Oklahoma, USC, and Miami...

And then with playing UGA and in the SEC Championship...how do we not go to the Orange Bowl???

Until we as the Auburn nation quit being scared of talking about our team and the National Championship at the same time, we will never reach that level consistently.

It is now two years in a row that there has been talk about us and the Nat. Championship. We failed last year and may or may not win it this year, but I am sure glad that Auburn has been mentioned two years in a row now.

In the "poll" driven system that we have for getting into the big game, your coaches and fans better do some lobbying during the deason or you could be left on the outside looking in.

One last thought, I sure am glad to see Auburn folks talking about the MNC verses what everyone was talking about this time last year.

I say talk it up, let the players play, and let's be proud to say Auburn and National Title Contenders in the same sentence.

Three words: Boston Red Sox. If a franchise that's gone 0-for-86 can sweep a 105-win team out of the World Series, trust me, Auburn can win it all.

Or how about three more words: West Division Clincher. That's what the Ole Miss game will be if we win Saturday. Can you imagine the West Division race wrapped up with 3 weeks left? It always seems to go down to the wire. Doesn't have to this time.

Okay, just three more and I'll stop: Sixteen and three. That is our W-L record since our infamous last trip to Atlanta. Not too shabby.

(That being said, would I guarantee a win Sat.? Ahhh, nope. :D )

We have played tougher teams than Oklahoma, USC, and Miami...

No, we haven't...defintely not USC or OU. I think we could handle Miami as long as we tackle that Hester kid. :)

Sixteen and three.  That is our W-L record since our infamous last trip to Atlanta.  Not too shabby.

Yeah, and if you subtract 3 from the loss column and 5 from the win column that's:

EEEELEVEN AND OH, EEEELEVEN AND OH.....can you believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't really like talkin national title b/c i think winning that thing has so much to do with luck. i do talk about winning sec titles b/c i believe if you do that consistently you'll find yourself with opportunities at even better things. that should be the focus of the team is winning the conference by as wide a margin as possible. if, when that task is complete, there are more rings to claim so be it. i just wanna win the sec.

and might i add that if tayshaun prince hadn't blocked that layup by reggie miller, and the pacers had won the east (and the nba title b/c the east is actually better), this would have been the most complete sports year of my life. it still could be with a bosox win (can't even believe that... i actually cried last night), the auburn tigers looking 93esque, the pacers in the eastern conference finals, and the packers in the nfc championship (last season). i question whether i'll ever see a year like this for all my teams again.

Haven't played a good team? Get me some of that crack you're smokin'!

LSU, Tennessee - both in the top 20 in the BCS

Arkansas - solid even though their record doesn't show it (check out their offensive stats...top 20 in country at a minimum)

Georgia will be a test. Bama will be the same. I think our boys are ready for it though!

WDE :au:

Haven't played a good team?  Get me some of that crack you're smokin'!

I'm not sure who you're questioning but the person I quoted said that Auburn had played teams better than Oklahoma, USC, and Miami. I don't see how that's true. We've played and beaten several good teams but certainly not any top 4 teams...yet. :)

Archived