Memphis

msg6367

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the article but unfortuantely I had to read some of the stupid Bammer posts below. Next time copy and paste the article....I've got a headache now.

It was posted weeks ago that the grade change was in 9th or 10th grade to make him eligible to play high school ball. I think that was posted by several mods or people from AE with knowledge.

I, of course, would love for this to be true. However, it seems easy enough to track and confirm. Yet, there appears to be no confirmation.

The latest story talked of "two transcripts" rather than a changed transcript. What would that mean?

If anybody associated or previously associated with the school has talked to ESPN and/or Yahoo about grades, they are in direct violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If the media outlets go public with the information they also would be in violation.

The scoop is the confirmation by the coach. This is mostly nothing new, which was the continuous refrain after each "new" revelation of the Cam situation.

Seriously, Why do we have this target on us from the media?

It was posted weeks ago that the grade change was in 9th or 10th grade to make him eligible to play high school ball. I think that was posted by several mods or people from AE with knowledge.

I, of course, would love for this to be true. However, it seems easy enough to track and confirm. Yet, there appears to be no confirmation.

The latest story talked of "two transcripts" rather than a changed transcript. What would that mean?

Before grade change and after grade change is what I've heard. TIFWIW

Where's the scoop? Just a re-hash of weeks old stuff. Very disappointing that a member here would post that as some kind of "scoop". Also....never, ever read the comments following any Al.com article. Those things would make the Baby Jesus cry.

If anybody associated or previously associated with the school has talked to ESPN and/or Yahoo about grades, they are in direct violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If the media outlets go public with the information they also would be in violation.

Nothing happened to Thayer Evans and his garbage piece on Cam and his grades at UF. There's no integrity with the media.

Nothing happened to Thayer Evans and his garbage piece on Cam and his grades at UF. There's no integrity with the media.

Oh man I forgot about that piece of....... Umm garbage... I bet he is busy writing something on us now

The first transcript from JR's high school (the bad one) went to the NCAA clearing house for approval so he could report to camp. The NCAA cleared the bad transcript and gave the green light for JR to head to AU. Later AU received a second transcript (the correct one) and AU noticed it was different. AU contacted the NCAA and then both the NCAA & AU looked into what the problem was. This was back in early August and JR was in fall camp. Then the story broke in late August and the NCAA declared JR ineligible and immediately after the ruling AU kicked him off the team and sent JR home.

That is my understanding of what happened.

SIAP, but this is what I just got from a friend of mine (not a source, just an Auburn alum/fan that usually has pretty good info). Doesn't sound good!

"Supposedly, there will be a hit piece coming out about Memphis recruiting. It will implicate Auburn in the grade changing scandal and it will hit MSU pretty hard as well. Joe Schad is writing the article. I’m expecting it to go into detail about JR. Supposedly, a Auburn Alum took Jovon to Auburn for a recruiting trip. His Mother didn’t know that he left and called the police. The same Alum/Booster that took Jovon to Auburn is going to be linked with the counselor who changed the grade."

If this is true, we are screwed. Everyone feels like we got away with paying Cam, which has never been proven on any level, so they will be looking to hammer us for this. Meanwhile, UA players are still getting free suits and meals, and getting paid to do autograph sessions at TTMW. Gotta love the justice within the NCAA.

If it's true, we most definitely are NOT screwed. Auburn can't be responsible for the action of every alum, just as M$U wasn't responsible for their alum Kenny Rogers bringing up money with Cecil Newton. The penalty would be the alum being declared a booster and then AU being forced to "disassociate" from that booster. Big deal.

Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here.

Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here.

Honestly just asking but does your paper have an online addition?

And that, my friend, is where the rubber usually meets the road.....the Pensacola case comes to mind.

And that, my friend, is where the rubber usually meets the road.....the Pensacola case comes to mind.

I don't think the current speculation has anything to do with Jovon's grades. I think it has to do with 7 on 7 tournaments and unofficial visits.

Yes there is an online edition for the Newspaper in Memphis, and judging by the comment section- we are being slandered by some of the posters on there.

This is a total witch hunt, but as long as we didnt do anything amiss- we just got to grow thicker skin as we know we are constantly going to get hit piece journalism.

They are going to try and Tie Trooper to the 7 on 7 Coach , and then link Trooper to whomever the teacher was who asked the counselor to change the grade.

Too many dots to connect especially when they are invisible ones.

Hearing on twitter that it will probably be secondary violation and that is it.

MState needs to be worried and not sure about what will happen to bama, probably a secondary as well.

If boosters can drive, then high school senior, Brent Callaway to Tuscaloosa every weekend for uat games and take him to the beach the week before signing day and put him up in a condo, I don't see the problem with a teacher and former graduate driving a current student of hers to Auburn for a weekend visit. This happens all the time with high school coaches.

Smuphy tweeted that he is hearing nothing but secondary violations for Auburn if anything...so everyone step away from the edge of the cliff...things will be fine...We got a ballgame to win... :bananadance:

You can't post rumor stuff like that. PM me if you need a more detailed explanation.

Archived