Memphis

msg6367

smuphy was very, very concerned as recently as last night. So secondary violations would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, the Memphis paper isn't the end of things. TigerTennis is correct about what's been printed so far, but the rumor involves a new story by other reporters, and the Memphis reporter knows those stories are ongoing. He's not saying what he knows at this point.

We're not out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure that I am worried about the 7 on 7 coach(Byron De'Vinner)

He was at the UAT game this past weekend posing for pictures with Vinnie Sunseri. No way little Nikki lets this guy near his players if something is coming down.

If anybody associated or previously associated with the school has talked to ESPN and/or Yahoo about grades, they are in direct violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. If the media outlets go public with the information they also would be in violation.

Maybe so, but it happens so often that nothing would be done about it. We've already seen over the years that people aren't afraid to give up private/protected information and media outlets aren't afraid to report on it.

Are we supposed to un-see what we just saw TigerPharm04 post? :dunno:

JK

I don't know about "un-see", but we aren't going to just thrown blatant rumor out on the boards for discussion.

So, which is it?? Is it the grades? Is it the girls soccer coach driving him to Auburn? Is it the 7 on 7 with De'Vinner?

My takes:

Grades, I doubt AU had anything to do with this. It was probably a counselor just trying to help a good kid who has had a hard time with the loss of his father.

Soccer coach, secondary violation if that. This happens all the time.

7 on 7: If this is it, look out. Half if not more of the SEC will be in the same boat as Auburn. This includes, MSU, OM, UT, UAT, Arky and LSU for starters because they all have had relationships with De'Vinner. De'Vinner was on the field in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

"Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here."

This is precisely why I do not listen to Finebaum. Everyone on here quotes Finebaum and ESPN and the rumor and scandal mongers they are. Sorry I listen to Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell and Philip Marshall. If you cant write and put your name to it I dont care to read and in some cases depending on who you are I still dont want to read it (see Pete Thammel and Thayer Evans_

So, which is it?? Is it the grades? Is it the girls soccer coach driving him to Auburn? Is it the 7 on 7 with De'Vinner?

My takes:

Grades, I doubt AU had anything to do with this. It was probably a counselor just trying to help a good kid who has had a hard time with the loss of his father.

7 on 7: If this is it, look out. Half if not more of the SEC will be in the same boat as Auburn. This includes, MSU, OM, UT, UAT, Arky and LSU for starters because they all have had relationships with De'Vinner. De'Vinner was on the field in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

I admit I haven't read this whole thread (I've actually been productive at work today, shocker) but what's the deal with a girls soccer coach? And why would she be involved with football recruiting? SIAP

My takes:

I admit I haven't read this whole thread (I've actually been productive at work today, shocker) but what's the deal with a girls soccer coach? And why would she be involved with football recruiting? SIAP

She's an AU alum. Sometimes turds just throw out whatever they can to see what sticks.

This is precisely why I do not listen to Finebaum. Everyone on here quotes Finebaum and ESPN and the rumor and scandal mongers they are. Sorry I listen to Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell and Philip Marshall. If you cant write and put your name to it I dont care to read and in some cases depending on who you are I still dont want to read it (see Pete Thammel and Thayer Evans_

What is Mark's/Jason's general attitude about this? Good, bad, indifferent, waiting to see what comes out? Not asking for specifics.

wde

My takes:

The rumor is that the girls soccer coach, an Auburn alum, took Jovon to Auburn without his mom's permission and she put out a missing person claim on him. Apparently Jovon didn't have a cell phone or chose not to respond to his mom, sounds far fetched that she had no clue to me where her son was, but who knows.

My takes:

The rumor is that the girls soccer coach, an Auburn alum, took Jovon to Auburn without his mom's permission and she put out a missing person claim on him. Apparently Jovon didn't have a cell phone or chose not to respond to his mom, sounds far fetched that she had no clue to me where her son was, but who knows.

Sounds very far fetched to me - in all cases a school official/coach/teacher can't transport a kid anywhere without a signed permission slip from the parent of the child.

It's for protection for the school against liabilty if something happens to the kids while in the care of a school official. I've signed my fair share of permission slips for my kids that holds the school harmless in the event of an accident or injury, etc. It's standard operating procedure for a a school to require this.

I just can't see how a coach from a girls athletic program would take a potential recruit out of the state. What if there was a horrible car accident and the kid was killed? Then the parents could sue the school system....

And for the life of me, I don't understand why the girls soccer coach would even be involved with football recruiting at any school. Somebody's just making crap up to get attention on the internet, IMO. If this actually did happen, that coach would be unemployed right along with the guidance counselor.

If the Mother was upset with Teacher or Auburn, which would make the story somewhat viable, we would have already heard about this story. Besides that, she would not let her son sign with us if she had an issue over a ride. A ride that caused her to file a police report.

Well, depending on the date in question, an Alum of Auburn may have planned to come to Auburn and happened to bring Jovon thinking that his mother was ok with it. We will find out once the smell and foul reporting ends.

One clarification: if Auburn turned in questions about the faulty transcript, that by no means gets Auburn clean off the hook. I'm not saying we're responsible for anything, just pointing out an obvious (if you think about it) fact.

Scenario: An Auburn employee or booster encourages or pays someone to alter the transcript, and it happens. Compliance finds out and inquires. Auburn would get "credit" for the inquiry, but that wouldn't eliminate the (possibly major) violation.

This is assuming lots of things, particularly that the transcript is the issue. But we're a long way from either in trouble or off the hook.

"Friends, there's no scoop. I live in Memphis, & I can tell you what's being reported in the paper here (you know where you have to put your name on something you write, which is quite opposite internet gossip or sports talk radio speculation). The guidance counselor at Jovon's school says she was asked to change his grade (from a 70 to a 76, a D to a C) & did so. She won't name who asked her, but the implication has been that it was someone she worked with. The teacher of the class saw the grade was wrong and had the grade corrected. The counselor then changed it again. Through that process Auburn received different transcripts with different grades and inquired about the difference. It appears the school didn't realize the grade had been changed a 2nd time until Auburn made them aware. There has been no suggestion in the paper that Auburn did anything amiss in Jovon's case. Then there's another investigation into Miss St's recruitment of someone which led to a coach's resignation and MSU disassociating itself from a booster. There's been no suggestion in the paper that anyone other than MSU is implicated here. Meanwhile there have been several articles about the NCAA questioning a number of coaches in the area about recruitment of athletes in relation to the issue with MSU. Those coaches have all said that they didn't encounter problems in the recruitment of their athletes, & Auburn has not been mentioned at all in those articles. So, sports talk radio and the internet may be filled with gossip & speculation, but the newspaper has printed none of that. I'm sure the gossipers back in Alabama are trying to tie us to all of this, but we are barely part of the conversation here."

If all the schools had the same grade scale that would not even be an issue. The grade scale in H'ville is a C for 70-79. It doesn't make sense that one kid can make a 70 © and qualify and a kid from another school can make a 70 (D) and not qualify.

Well, depending on the date in question, an Alum of Auburn may have planned to come to Auburn and happened to bring Jovon thinking that his mother was ok with it. We will find out once the smell and foul reporting ends.

This stinking mess started and is still being fueled by the Tennessee fanbase in Memphis which originated by none other than some old slob named TennStud. Now, I firmly believe that other fanbases are now jumping on board the rumor wagon, i.e. Updykes - But I believe the orgin came from Roy Adams (TennStud), he was the one that started this whole grades/transcript changing mess, and he's the one bragging and name dropping like a fool. Why he wants to throw these rumors and accusations out is beyond me. He obviously gets some kind of sick pleassure by being associated with young athletes.

If all the schools had the same grade scale that would not even be an issue. The grade scale in H'ville is a C for 70-79. It doesn't make sense that one kid can make a 70 © and qualify and a kid from another school can make a 70 (D) and not qualify.

And thus enters in this whole school/education scenario. I agree with that comment.....this seems petty. I think it has more to do with the ride to Auburn. Even if it were about the grade, how can it be any more of an issue than what UNC just had happen? Or FSU a few years back with the insitutional pencil whip of classes for the entire Athletic Dept.?

One clarification: if Auburn turned in questions about the faulty transcript, that by no means gets Auburn clean off the hook. I'm not saying we're responsible for anything, just pointing out an obvious (if you think about it) fact.

Scenario: An Auburn employee or booster encourages or pays someone to alter the transcript, and it happens. Compliance finds out and inquires. Auburn would get "credit" for the inquiry, but that wouldn't eliminate the (possibly major) violation.

This is assuming lots of things, particularly that the transcript is the issue. But we're a long way from either in trouble or off the hook.

A possible scenario - seems like someone attempted to post something similar in this thread earlier. They just went about it the wrong way.

This stinking mess started and is still being fueled by the Tennessee fanbase in Memphis which originated by none other than some old slob named TennStud. Now, I firmly believe that other fanbases are now jumping on board the rumor wagon, i.e. Updykes - But I believe the orgin came from Roy Adams (TennStud), he was the one that started this whole grades/transcript changing mess, and he's the one bragging and name dropping like a fool. Why he wants to throw these rumors and accusations out is beyond me. He obviously gets some kind of sick pleassure by being associated with young athletes.

No, he wants Tennessee to have their "land" back.

Did anyone see the above from AU Grad00 ? Why are we still talking about this?

Did anyone see the above from AU Grad00 ? Why are we still talking about this?

It's a way to keep our minds off of 0-2. ;)

Archived