Fred Beasley and Ronnie Brown

StatTiger

Ronnie Brown has become a star at Auburn, on and off the field. Before we know it, this season will be completed and Ronnie Brown will become a legend in Auburn football history. It will be a sad day, when we no longer see him suiting up as #23.

Not too long ago, we once had another #23, who represented Auburn well. Fred Beasley has always been one of my favorite players because he was a "team" player. He was a highly touted runningback out of HS, who was moved to fullback by Tater Tot. :blink:

Despite the move, Beasley continued to play hard, doing everything he could to lead Auburn to victory. As a senior, he was a key reason why we defeated UGA and eventually went to the SECCG.

Can you imagine if Beasley played for Coach Tuberville rather than Bowden? What if Brown had played for Bowden? Like Brown, Beasley became a bruiser, playing at 6-0, 220 his senior year but he should have been left at runningback.

From 1994 through the first 3 games of the 1996 season, Beasley was a runningback, gaining 820yds-155-10tds ( 5.29 ). Like Brown, Beasley was a good receiver out of the backfield, averaging 13 yards on his 26 receptions as a runningback. After being moved to FB, Beasley gained only 420yds on 126 carries for 8 TD's ( 3.33 avg ). Lord knows what Bowden would have done with Ronnie Brown. Perhaps he would have been too big & fast to play tailback. :no:

Even playing in the shadows of Carnell Williams, Brown has posted 2483 yards rushing, 27 TD's including 8 career 100-yd games. He's still on pace to rush for 1000-yards again.

It's great that Fred Beasley went onto a great career as a FB with the 49ers but he deserved so much more as an Auburn Tiger. Like Beasley, Brown has been a "team" player and a leader to our team. I have no doubt that Brown would have remained the same ( Team player ) had he been a FB under Terry Bowden. We all should be grateful that Bowden wasn't around to coach Ronnie Brown. I'm even more thankful that I was able to see both players where the orange & blue.

WDE

With each game, I see how important Ronnie Brown is to our team. I think everyone else, including the coaches see that as well. Bowden is no a commentator and no longer a coach because he can't see those kinds of things!!!!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE DAWGS!!!!!!!

IMO, he is THE most valuable ALL AROUND back we have. This kid can catch, block, run wide, run for the tough yards up the middle and he is a leader and a good kid. What more could anyone want?? The pros are going to LOVE HIM!

Unfortunately, Beasley could not come back as a RB. He had gotten too big. He had an injury and wen he came back, he was not quite as quck. That and the fact that running behind Stephen Davis just confused him. His first 2 years he ran with abandon, but then attempted to run like Davis, waiting for an opening then trying to hit it. It wasn' his style. Fred's style was to hit quick and hard. After he came back bigger and not quite as quick, tater decided to put him where he could excell. And he did. I don't think that tater caused his issues. It was a culmination of things.

BUT. Tater sure sucked when it came to using a running back properly...

AU vs. LSU. Davis was averaging 5 yds a carry and only got it like 15 times. WE LOST. That's what tater did to running backs.

My big question is, what if Stephen Davis had played under TT. Do you think he could have gotten the Heisman?

i think he would have been in the hunt for it.....ronnie brown is going to be a millionaire in a few short months....he is just right for an NFL runningback.....he can do it all......and he does it all quite well

After he came back bigger and not quite as quick, tater decided to put him where he could excell. And he did. I don't think that tater caused his issues. It was a culmination of things.

My big question is, what if Stephen Davis had played under TT. Do you think he could have gotten the Heisman?

117156[/snapback]

Beasley was at around 216 to start the 96 season as our starting TB. In the first three games, FB gained 251yds-43-4tds ( 5.84 avg ) including a 100-yard game and 2 TD's against Ole Miss. Following the Rebel game, Bowden moved Beasley to fullback. :blink:

I think Bowden canned the opportunity for davis to win the Heisman in 1995. He had only 53 carries in the first 4 games but still scored 7 rushing TD's.

During his career, Davis averaged 137 yards rushing when he had at least 16 carries. he averaged 144 with at least 20 carries. He averaged 185 yards with over 25 carries.

Archived