Concerns about Georgia game

Aubie7

Ole Miss did a good job at exposing our defense on Saturday. The key is to run right at the Auburn D. Also, the short to medium passes, over the middle, were open all night again. We still do not cover the backs out of the backfield. We have not had to have a clutch field goal to date either. Can we count on this? We should have downed a great punt (57 yards?) that went into the endzone.

I just think the D and the rest of the team is tired.

They need a week off and then no more exposing our D, they will be once again, ROCK SOLID.

"I took the Homecoming Queen to the Prom in HS, but, she was a bad kisser!"

Come on..They are 9-0 and a very TIRED group of young men. They will be ready for the puppies.......Count on it! :au:

Ole Miss did a good job at exposing our defense on Saturday. The key is to run right at the Auburn D. Also, the short to medium passes, over the middle, were open all night again. We still do not cover the backs out of the backfield. We have not had to have a clutch field goal to date either. Can we count on this? We should have downed a great punt (57 yards?) that went into the endzone.

117110[/snapback]

I disagree. I don't think they exposed anything. Ole Miss didn't do anything different than what Tennessee, Arkansas, or LSU tried. Aside from Decory Birmingham from Arky, everyone has run right at us thinking our small D-line and linebackers wouldn't be able to handle it. Only Ole Miss had any real success. I think the difference was that we were tired after this being our 9th straight game without a break and they just executed a little better. I'm no more concerned about the Georgia game than I would be any other year.

Total Offense:

Auburn #20

UGA #29

Total Defense:

Auburn #6

UGA #16

Scoring Offense:

Auburn #13

UGA #41

Scoring Defense:

Auburn #2

UGA #13

Georgia is clearly the best team on our schedule but I'm sure they are concerned about their weaknesses and our strengths.

Will Herring was definitely exposed. He was so out of position all night. UGA is also going to see that in the tape. UGA will be the best passing team we have faced all year. I only hope we can limit their passing game because I know we're not going to be able to stop it.

Great info. Stat!

As per your usual. :hail::hail::hail:

seems like they have found a weapon in their 6'7" tight end. watching him play has me concerned, i think they will go to him early and often. i trust that chizik will be able to make defensive adjustments if he is a problem early in the game.

I think Ole Miss did shows that we need some work on D. However, I think it was because we were tired from playing nine games in a row. I think with the week off and the extra time to prepare for the UGA game, we will be just fine! Our D has been solid all year and I expect nothing different come Nov. 13th!

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE DAWGS!!!!!!!

we can't blame all of this on being tired. I don't like off weeks too much because any rhythym that we had may be lost. i'm sure they are tired, but they are still gonna practice all this week, and i'm sure they will practice pretty hard. every team has played 7-9 games and is startin to feel it with injuries and being tired, but we need to stop making excuses and play the game like we played earlier in the season, because we won't beat UGA playin like we did the last two weeks.

Whilel I agree the players are tired, I think what kept Ole Miss in the game was coaching strategy, not talent. I think the coaches will use the week off to adjust the openings Ole Miss found. It's good to have a team like that discover some potential weaknesses and be able to correct them for the big games.

Offensively, I think the mis-handled snap affected Jason on the next few passes. If our offense had scored on a couple of those early drives, their offense would have had to get out of it's game plan and play catch up which would result in more mistakes by them. Cutcliffe seemed to have a gameplan that was well thought out.

We have not played great the last two weeks. Hard to get up for Kentucky, but should have been high for Miss. I have to believe that we need the rest and will look much better against Ga.

Being undefeated has a lot to do with great team chemistry and having the ball bounce your way. This is the first time in many years that we have had the ball bounce our way as much as it has. Our defense has bent but not broken all year. Ole Miss did not show any new weaknesses, just highlighted the ones we have had all year long. We know that Herring and Pitts are weak spots. UT proved it, although Ainge missed the wide-open receiver for TDs. Just because he missed them did not make them covered. Every team we have played since has seen this. But it seems to be our year. The DB's need to work harder on being in better position and not getting beat deep. The coaches know where the weaknesses are nad are continually working on them. All we, as fans, can do is hope that the ball keeps bouncing our way all the down the line.

Well, let me throw in my 2 cents.

1) They only scored 14 points.

2) We stuffed them on 4th down in the red zone

3) SEVEN sacks

4) An INT

5) A fumble recovery

I think we were a little "dead-legged"...but even with that, we played pretty good defense. The long balls are always bothersome, but you're going to give those up once in a while with single coverage...and we bent but didn't break, most of the night. In fact, in the first half, the "D" saved our behinds!

So I don't see too much with which to be concerned or unhappy. We'll give up some points to UGA...they will throw to the TE...and we'll just have to score more points than they do! :big::au:

we can't blame all of this on being tired.

I think we can blame a good part of it on tiredness. Nine straight weeks is tough in the SEC. Also, Ole Miss had two weeks to prepare for this game giving them a chance to put some things in we may not have seen before on film.

I don't like off weeks too much because any rhythym that we had may be lost.

I don't normally either, but I feel that our "rhythm" hasn't been that great for the last two weeks anyway. I think they need a mental break.

i'm sure they are tired, but they are still gonna practice all this week, and i'm sure they will practice pretty hard. every team has played 7-9 games and is startin to feel it with injuries and being tired, but we need to stop making excuses and play the game like we played earlier in the season, because we won't beat UGA playin like we did the last two weeks.

117158[/snapback]

Well, actually CTT said that they'd mainly do gameplan stuff and let the guys rest up a little for a few days, not do anything too physical until next week. It's not an excuse to point out the obvious: we are tired. Most teams already had their bye week by now. Ours was late this year. I agree we need to step it up for UGA, but to point out that there are reasons for the fall off in execution that don't have anything to do with "being exposed" is not excuse making.

I feel sure that Jason was pressing because it was his last game in the state of Mississippi. He was over-throwing everyone--usually a sign of excess adrenalin, I'm told. It ain't often he misses 7 in a row.

If we had a (Ole Miss "exposed") weakness to head-on running, I find it hard to believe that we would have only ONE rushing touchdown against us all season.

we can't blame all of this on being tired.

I think we can blame a good part of it on tiredness. Nine straight weeks is tough in the SEC. Also, Ole Miss had two weeks to prepare for this game giving them a chance to put some things in we may not have seen before on film.

I don't like off weeks too much because any rhythym that we had may be lost.

I don't normally either, but I feel that our "rhythm" hasn't been that great for the last two weeks anyway. I think they need a mental break.

i'm sure they are tired, but they are still gonna practice all this week, and i'm sure they will practice pretty hard. every team has played 7-9 games and is startin to feel it with injuries and being tired, but we need to stop making excuses and play the game like we played earlier in the season, because we won't beat UGA playin like we did the last two weeks.

117158[/snapback]

Well, actually CTT said that they'd mainly do gameplan stuff and let the guys rest up a little for a few days, not do anything too physical until next week. It's not an excuse to point out the obvious: we are tired. Most teams already had their bye week by now. Ours was late this year. I agree we need to step it up for UGA, but to point out that there are reasons for the fall off in execution that don't have anything to do with "being exposed" is not excuse making.

117188[/snapback]

I didn't say that we weren't tired, because we are, but I don't think we can blame poor play on it. I know most of the other teams have had bye weeks, but i've seen many more teams lose after bye weeks than win, or at least it seems that way. if CTT is gonna let them rest, I guess that's a good thing. I know 9 straight weeks is hard, but so is 4 weeks, a bye week, and then another 4. I know they will be pretty pumped for this game, but so will UGA, because if they lose this game, they have no chance for the SECCG or a BCS bowl. I just hope our players don't get too comfortable during the off week.

Yeah, what CCTAU said. We've been fortunate this year to be undefeated so far. Of course, you have to have luck to be really successful.

We have some great talent in the secondary but as a unit, I don't think we're the best. I think the key to beating UGA will be the turnover category. They will score points on us, no doubt.

Well, I hope all those things too. But I didn't say you weren't acknowledging the "tired factor". I just disagree about how much of the blame regarding our play the last two games can be attributed to it. I think it was a significant factor.

Bye weeks are tricky, no doubt. But in this case, I think it's needed and welcome. Let's not overthink this. The team has been focused on the goal the whole season. There's no reason to believe that a simple off week will change that. Heck, it seemed to work nicely for Ole Miss. They looked refreshed and ready and had a chance to add a few new wrinkles. No reason we can't do the same.

:uga: has some key problems as well. In my mind, :au: will open up fast, pressure Greene into poor throws/ fumbles, and begin to dominate the line of scrimage in the late 2nd or early 3td quarter enroute to a convincing win.

MY prediction:

:au: 38

:uga: 24

If they weren't tired they wouldn't have played poorly

Travis Williams was being rehidrated during half time, these guys are drained.

They will have plenty of reasons to be sky high for the UGA game and I am sure they will remember the drubbing they took last year.

I think this bye week is good, we need the rest and just dream about what Coach AL will put in for UGAG

If Auburn is going to beat Georgia, they need to do it with their front 4. Our OL for some odd reason has done a great job picking up blitzes this year. If AU is going to blitz, I think Greene is going to have another great day. If Auburn wants to pressure Greene, beat our OL with 4-5 men on every down. That is what Tennessee did and it really hurt David.

LSU blitzed and got torched. Arkansas blitzes and got torched. Florida blitzed and got torched.

Neither USC nor UT blitzed that much (though USC early and quite late did but overall) and they were successful due to their front 4 playing physical and their secondary being full.

Don't ask me why our OL can block the blitz so well...lord knows, one of the mysteries of this team.

I don't think our play the last two games has anything to do with how we'll play against Georgia. It's hard to be motivated playing a couple of teams that have four or five wins between them. The fatigue was obvious and we still won both games buy a combined seven touchdowns.

The week off is right on time and the Georgia game will go right down to the wire, in my opinion. Hopefully we can stop them more times than they stop us.

Well, let me throw in my 2 cents.

1) They only scored 14 points.

2) We stuffed them on 4th down in the red zone

3) SEVEN sacks

4) An INT

5) A fumble recovery

I think we were a little "dead-legged"...but even with that, we played pretty good defense. The long balls are always bothersome, but you're going to give those up once in a while with single coverage...and we bent but didn't break, most of the night. In fact, in the first half, the "D" saved our behinds!

So I don't see too much with which to be concerned or unhappy. We'll give up some points to UGA...they will throw to the TE...and we'll just have to score more points than they do!  :big:   :au:

117180[/snapback]

I agree with this, but we must admit that field position has helped our D alot this year. Kody Bliss has been a huge defensive contributer. Also, Al Borges seems to have an uncanny knack for getting the offense in position to flip the field even when we don't have a great drive. I imagine Coach Chizik appreciates him as much as anyone.

The O-line has seemed sluggish. I don't know if it is the change at center or fatigue. I am usually pessimistic about bye weeks, but this one falls at a good time IMO.

Archived