Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

You could just list your best and worst overall, or break it down by category. Here's mine:

Worst:

Tie between Rolling Rock and Dixie beer. Dixie, I'm convinced, is just alcohol infused urine.

Best:

IPA: A fresh local Sweetwater IPA

Best Stout: Tie - Atlanta Brewing Company Coffee Oatmeal Stout and Sam Smith's

Best Brown Ale: Good People Brown (Sam Smith's Nut Brown is good too)

Best Wheat: Oberon

Best High Grav: Chimay Blue or Red

Best "American" Style cheap beer: PBR

Best "go to" beer in a bar with little selection: Sam Adams

Best Overall: Brooklyn Local 2 - Seriously best beer I've had in my life

Most Overrated:

Fat Tire second most overrated Delerium Tremens

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I can make this list honestly. There are few beers I personally dislike. But I'll give it a try:

Worst:

Miller Light - I personally cannot stand the taste, and it always gives me the worst hangovers after I am usually forced to drink it.

Best:

Tough to make any calls here because I've drunk so many, I can't recall them all. I do heatily enjoy the Sam Adams seasonals - mostly Octoberfest and Winter Ale. Good People Brown is excellent, as is Oberon.

Best "American" Cheap - Miller High Life

Best "go-to" beer - Sweetwater 420 - I find myself ordering this alot when its available and there's not much else, even though it's not anywhere near my favorite.

Best Overall: Tough call, cannot nail down one or the other.

Ryan

Great question Bamagrad. I am more of a lager guy than pale ales.

#1 - Heineken Light

#2 - Yuengling

#3 - Shiner Light Blonde

Are these in your best category? If so, which ones would you put in your "worst" category?

Best "go-to" beer - Sweetwater 420

I really like 420 as well. Sweetwater is a really good brewery. The Georgia Brown rules too. The 420 is just an easy drink. It never lets you down.

You could just list your best and worst overall, or break it down by category. Here's mine:

Worst:

Tie between Rolling Rock and Dixie beer. Dixie, I'm convinced, is just alcohol infused urine.

Best:

Most Overrated:

I love Fat tire. I drive up to Tennessee several times a year to get it and when we go snowboarding in Colorado I always load the condo fridge with some.

I'm no high gravity beer snob so I just buy basic gas station and Publix beer.

Best cheep beer- Miller light

Depending on my mood and what's on sale I will normally have some Sam Adams, blue moon, shock top, or landshark beer in my beer fridge.

I do like a good wheat beer so if anyone can recommend one that is out of the ordinary I would appreciate it.

Worst:

Best:

Most Overrated:

I love Fat tire. I drive up to Tennessee several times a year to get it and when we go snowboarding in Colorado I always load the condo fridge with some.

I'm no high gravity beer snob so I just buy basic gas station and Publix beer.

Best cheep beer- Miller light

Depending on my mood and what's on sale I will normally have some Sam Adams, blue moon, shock top, or landshark beer in my beer fridge.

I do like a good wheat beer so if anyone can recommend one that is out of the ordinary I would appreciate it.

Aw come on, Publix sells plenty of high grav :)

If you like wheat beer, you should swing by publix and pick up Bell's Oberon. It's a really well rounded wheat beer without the taste shock you get from some of the others. Solid summer beer IMO.

Any Octoberfest beer is my first choice.

Other beer I love (no order):

Turbo Dog (Abita)

Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Guinness (ice cold and on tap only)

Hop Ottin IPA (Anderson Valley Brewing Co.)

Dead Guy Ale (Rouge Brewing)

ESB (Red Hook)

Old Peculier (Theakston Brewing)

That is all I can think of now, there are some other German and English and Scottish beers I love but can't remember the names because I don't see them often.

I hate any beer that smells like a Corona.

Any Octoberfest beer is my first choice.

Other beer I love (no order):

Turbo Dog (Abita)

Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Guinness (ice cold and on tap only)

Hop Ottin IPA (Anderson Valley Brewing Co.)

Dead Guy Ale (Rouge Brewing)

ESB (Red Hook)

Old Peculier (Theakston Brewing)

That is all I can think of now, there are some other German and English and Scottish beers I love but can't remember the names because I don't see them often.

I hate any beer that smells like a Corona.

The Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is phenomenal. If you like that you'd love the Atlanta Brewing Co's Coffee Oatmeal.

I really like Rogue Dead Guy too. However, it's comparable to many others in its category like 420, but more expensive. At Publix I think Rogue is 9.99 a sixer. Never understood why they cost so much.

A new store just opened up here in pensacola recently called WORLD OF BEER. They are supposed to be opening one in Birmingham before the end of the year. The founders/owners are originally from pensacola. I went there last night for the first time. Cool place and HUGE selection. If you join their program $15 you earn points for every new beer you try. As you accumulate points you earn free stuff up to a $250 bar tab for you and your friends. Pretty cool thing.

My beer of preference: Blue Moon

2nd choice: Hoegaarden

A friend suggested I get Abita Strawberry Harvest, but its not available anywhere locally this time of year. When its available I'll pick up some and give it a try.

beers I didn't like at all: Sam Adams and sweetwater 420. ICK...

favorite cheapo beer: Miller LIte

A new store just opened up here in pensacola recently called WORLD OF BEER. They are supposed to be opening one in Birmingham before the end of the year. The founders/owners are originally from pensacola. I went there last night for the first time. Cool place and HUGE selection. If you join their program $15 you earn points for every new beer you try. As you accumulate points you earn free stuff up to a $250 bar tab for you and your friends. Pretty cool thing.

My beer of preference: Blue Moon

2nd choice: Hoegaarden

A friend suggested I get Abita Strawberry Harvest, but its not available anywhere locally this time of year. When its available I'll pick up some and give it a try.

beers I didn't like at all: Sam Adams and sweetwater 420. ICK...

favorite cheapo beer: Miller LIte

Interesting. Sam Adams is a pretty easy going lager. It's sort of my default beer. SW 420 is another mainstay, though being a Pale Ale, it is a bit hoppy if you're not used to it.

If you like Belgian White Ales (which is what Blue Moon and Hoegaarden are), Sam Adams White Ale (NOT Imperial White) and if you can find it anywhere, Allagash White.

If you like something a little darker but not heavy like a stout or porter, go for Chimay Red or Ommegang Abbey Ale. Just a hint of sweetness but lots of overall flavor.

If you like Blue Moon, you'll probably really like that Abita Strawberry.

Every chick I know who drinks the Abita Strawberry also loves them some Blue Moon.

Every chick I know who drinks the Abita Strawberry also loves them some Blue Moon.

I see what you did there.

I see what you did there.

I was hoping someone would. ;)

I was in Pensacola about a month ago and went to the World of Beer...awesome place. I liked that they would let you taste what was on tap for free.

My all time favorite...Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

Easy go to's....Abita Amber, Samual Adams Seasonals, Shiner

Newly tried like...Xingu(sp?)

I used to HATE IPA's, but for some reason, I am growing to like them...any suggestions?

Hates...Corona, Amstel Light, Heineken.

The best

New Zealand Steinlager. Or any german pilsner

The worst

Michelob

Beer definitely has a shelf life. Beers from other countries can't be judged unless consumed soon after brewing.

I remember drinking American budweiser beer while in Germany, it was terrible compared to the local German beers. Being several weeks old did not help.

I was in Pensacola about a month ago and went to the World of Beer...awesome place. I liked that they would let you taste what was on tap for free.

My all time favorite...Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

Easy go to's....Abita Amber, Samual Adams Seasonals, Shiner

Newly tried like...Xingu(sp?)

I used to HATE IPA's, but for some reason, I am growing to like them...any suggestions?

Hates...Corona, Amstel Light, Heineken.

IPA: Bell's Two Hearted and Founder's Centennial are two of my absolute favorites.

Three Floyds Zombie Dust is the best regular IPA I've had. You won't find it outside of the Midwest, and even then, best chance of getting it is at the brewery.

In terms of double IPA--Bell's Hopslam is really good. Seasonal release. Avery Maharaja is a good substitute.

Good People's Snake Handler is really good too.

Another vote for the Sam Adams Latitude IPA. Had one last night. It's a little more subdued and like the rest of their offerings, could be an easy "go to" IPA. The Good People IPA is really good as well, but the branding/can design is so bad, I avoid it out of principle. It really looks like some cheap redneck beer in that can.

Funny, it was a seasonal pack of Sam Adams, with the IPA being the only beer left that alerted me to my change in tastes. I was very surprised that I liked it. Like you said BG, it could easily be a go to. Surprisingly, here in North Louisiana, our beer selections aren't that great, but a few specialty stores are upping their game significantly(fortunately).

Archived