Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

13 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Picked up a bottle of that Stone/Odell/Marble collab yesterday. I'll pop it tonight and weigh in my meaningless opinion. 

Read a really positive review of it. Really curious to see what you think the wheat does for the body of it. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Read a really positive review of it. Really curious to see what you think the wheat does for the body of it. 

I found the feel of it extremely pleasant. Very airy and easy to drink, which makes it pretty dangerous. :laugh: The wheat base worked together really well with the hops. Would buy again. 

I forgot to mention, it seems Crooked Stave has wandered down to B'ham. Hop City had a good variety of their offerings yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

I found the feel of it extremely pleasant. Very airy and easy to drink, which makes it pretty dangerous. :laugh: The wheat base worked together really well with the hops. Would buy again. 

I forgot to mention, it seems Crooked Stave has wandered down to B'ham. Hop City had a good variety of their offerings yesterday. 

Crooked Stave, nice. Can't afford to drink it often, but they do a great job.

The review I read of that wheat DIPA collab said pretty much exactly what you did. I must try soon. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

They're going to be moving up to 750ml bottles soon, if they haven't already. 

Nightmare on Brett is fantastic. 

27 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I hope that drives the price per ounce down a little. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I hope that drives the price per ounce down a little. 

Agreed, although it's not like CS is an option for me in Tennessee anyway. It was always a punch in the gut paying up to $15 for a 375ml. in Colorado. 

Been in Milwaukee for the last 24 hours.  It basically became a game of "How much New Glarus Spotted Cow could I drink in that amount of time?"

Not sure about the number, but I won.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Been in Milwaukee for the last 24 hours.  It basically became a game of "How much New Glarus Spotted Cow could I drink in that amount of time?"

New Glarus FTMFW every time. Serendipity is a top 5 beer for me. 

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Was up in Waukesha back around Thanksgiving. Loved it. Pigged out. Ended up checking my bag and hauled of bunch of their stuff back to the 'ham with me.

11 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Was up in Waukesha back around Thanksgiving. Loved it. Pigged out. Ended up checking my bag and hauled of bunch of their stuff back to the 'ham with me.

I'm fortunate enough that my wife's family has a cottage on Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, so we vacation here quite a bit.  Spotted Cow is pretty much the only thing I'll touch during our trips.

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm fortunate enough that my wife's family has a cottage on Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, so we vacation here quite a bit.  Spotted Cow is pretty much the only thing I'll touch during our trips.

Fortunate, indeed. 

My inlaws are selling their place in Florida >:( 

23 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I think the well has gone dry. Hop City had a few left but that's everything they've got. I'll send you a stock Ten Fidy and a Bourbon Barrel aged one so you can comparePM me your shipping info.

Had my yearly review at work today. Celebrating with a Trappist dubbel. 

large.image.jpeg

Holy...

Many, many thanks for the sentiment and the offer!

I, however, can't and shan't diminish one's seasonally limited stash.

I've learned that seasons are like B'days - they seem to come around again.

Besides, I'm within walking distance of the AleHouse at my northern abode, and a reasonable jog from Fairhope Brewery at my southern estate. 

I'll get by,...... somehow.

Again, Thank You, very much.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sounds like a game I might enjoy....

ETA - ...even if I lose.

19 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Holy...

Many, many thanks for the sentiment and the offer!

I, however, can't and shan't diminish one's seasonally limited stash.

I've learned that seasons are like B'days - they seem to come around again.

Besides, I'm within walking distance of the AleHouse at my northern abode, and a reasonable jog from Fairhope Brewery at my southern estate. 

I'll get by,...... somehow.

Again, Thank You, very much.

I assure you it's no problem. My offer stands. I have 5 stock Ten Fidys left and 2 BBAs I am planning to cellar anyway.

The longer you're in the craft community, the more awesome you realize it is. Haven't met a jerk yet. Enjoying great beer is great and helping others to do so, spreading the wealth, as it were, is a major part of that.

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Nightmare on Brett is fantastic. 

Not down here yet. Everything they had was a 375.

14 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

The longer you're in the craft community, the more awesome you realize it is. Haven't met a jerk yet. Enjoying great beer is great and helping others to do so, spreading the wealth, as it were, is a major part of that.

Hear, hear. I would say that this thread is somewhat representative of the overall community. It's pretty awesome. And expensive and fattening. But in an awesome way. 

Bought some of Oskar Blue's IPA last week. Disappointing. I really prefer Dale's. The more I drink IPA's the more I prefer smoother, well balanced IPAs then the one's that smack me in the face with hops and then leave me wanting something else. 

@Bigbens42, this has to be the most exciting astronomical news in decades. I mean, it almost seems redundant to call the star "ultracool":

The seven exoplanets were all found in tight formation around an ultracool dwarf star called TRAPPIST-1.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/world/new-exoplanets-discovery-nasa/index.html

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Bought some of Oskar Blue's IPA last week. Disappointing. I really prefer Dale's. The more I drink IPA's the more I prefer smoother, well balanced IPAs then the one's that smack me in the face with hops and then leave me wanting something else. 

I think the IPA market is really maturing in a good way. Seems there are a ton of them coming out in the 5.5-8.0% range that have big hop flavor, but not just the intense bitterness that defined the hops arms race of a few years ago. We have 4 or 5 of them just in GA now that are very "hoppy", but that I would call "fruity" or "juicy" before I called them "bitter". And they're balanced and smooth, as well. Whether they're "Northeast style" or whatever, I dunno. But I think it's a good trend. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I think the IPA market is really maturing in a good way. Seems there are a ton of them coming out in the 5.5-8.0% range that have big hop flavor, but not just the intense bitterness that defined the hops arms race of a few years ago. We have 4 or 5 of them just in GA now that are very "hoppy", but that I would call "fruity" or "juicy" before I called them "bitter". And they're balanced and smooth, as well. Whether they're "Northeast style" or whatever, I dunno. But I think it's a good trend. 

Yes. Big fan of the "fruity" or "citrusy" or whatever. Sweetwater IPA falls into that category for me. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Yes. Big fan of the "fruity" or "citrusy" or whatever. Sweetwater IPA falls into that category for me. 

If you make it to GA, check out:

-Basement from Scofflaw, or Hooligan for sure if you find it
-Tropicalia from Creature Comforts, or Automatic if you can find it
-Southern Juice from Jekyll

There are others, but these are my favorites over the last year.

Scofflaw is about to drop a double dry hopped IPA that is probably going to have immediate whale status. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If you make it to GA, check out:

-Basement from Scofflaw, or Hooligan for sure if you find it
-Tropicalia from Creature Comforts, or Automatic if you can find it
-Southern Juice from Jekyll

There are others, but these are my favorites over the last year.

Scofflaw is about to drop a double dry hopped IPA that is probably going to have immediate whale status. 

Excellent, thank you sir

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think the whole citrus movement came from the west coast, specifically California, no? Seems they were the first areas to play around with citra hops and it spread eastward. Northeastern IPAs have certainly evolved, I seem to remember they were primarily resinous/dank. Now they've founded the "haze craze" and moved away from dank IPAs to the juicy orange juice I've grown to crave. 

59 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think the whole citrus movement came from the west coast, specifically California, no? Seems they were the first areas to play around with citra hops and it spread eastward. Northeastern IPAs have certainly evolved, I seem to remember they were primarily resinous/dank. Now they've founded the "haze craze" and moved away from dank IPAs to the juicy orange juice I've grown to crave. 

You're right. I was incorrectly lumping together the citrus and the unfiltered beers. Heady Topper definitely isn't/wasn't citrus-y, nor are/were Sip of Sunshine, Second Fiddle, etc. Definitely "resinous/dank" as you said. I let my (wonderful, amazing) trips to Trillium cloud my judgment (in addition to my glass, hey-o). 

Archived