Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

In Tloosa for the weekend (alas, yes, the same weekend that Mumford&Sons headlined the Hangout Fest back home; ugly pattern developing).

Grabbed a 6-pack of (local) Black Warrior "Lock 17 IPA." Nice hops mix, with a bare hint of citrus, but also sort'a a bare hint of hops overall. Nice roasty tang to the malt/grain side but, again, kind'a thin overall. Don't know if my smoke-sodden palate was at play or they were too proud of their water (ABV=6.2%), but I found it somewhat ordinary compared to many IPAs I've tried of late. Worth the $, and would not turn one down if offered, but not worth a special trip.

Spelling edit

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently telecommuting from the local pub. They just finished up the barrel aged week. Still lots of stuff on tap, like Monday Night's Tears of My Enemies and KBS. Debating whether or not to have another. At lunch. On a Monday.

Won't be my local pub for much longer, though. Looks like we're moving to Hilton Head. Somebody please tell me we're not making a giant mistake. I love my wife. I love my wife. I love my wife. I love....

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Currently telecommuting from the local pub. They just finished up the barrel aged week. Still lots of stuff on tap, like Monday Night's Tears of My Enemies and KBS. Debating whether or not to have another. At lunch. On a Monday.

Won't be my local pub for much longer, though. Looks like we're moving to Hilton Head. Somebody please tell me we're not making a giant mistake. I love my wife. I love my wife. I love my wife. I love....

Two beers with lunch while telecommuting is never a bad idea. 

Mmmm...moving. It seems to be happening to a lot of folks I know. Sorry, I can't comment on the move with any level of confidence. What is the beer scene like in Hilton Head? Is that a bad lead off question? 

Showtime. Catherine's water just broke. 

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Been a long, long time but I remember it tough to find the beaches for the golf courses ('course Atlantic beaches ain't Gulf beaches anyway). Remind me where you're moving from? Housing might be $teep. Avoid the touristy places and the food can be real, real good. Get out into Low Country when you can! Take your mosquito repellant. First and foremost, love your wife, love...

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CATHERINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

All the best wishes I can muster.

ETA - Quit posting for a bit.

17 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What is the beer scene like in Hilton Head? Is that a bad lead off question? 

It will be a downgrade, no question about that. Not *entirely* a bad thing. But mostly a bad thing. 

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Been a long, long time but I remember it tough to find the beaches for the golf courses ('course Atlantic beaches ain't Gulf beaches anyway). Remind me where you're moving from? Housing might be $teep. Avoid the touristy places and the food can be real, real good. Get out into Low Country when you can! Take your mosquito repellant. First and foremost, love your wife, love...

Yeah. I'd be a lot more excited if I played golf. Crazy how hard it is to find houses on Zillow that don't back up to a course. 

Took 15 hours of labor, but she's here. Everyone, meet Cecilia Rose.

10412_zpsiihpn1d6.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

10412_zpsiihpn1d6.jpeg

Beautiful name (though I gather you've done this before?). Picture didn't show (to me), but I assume she's beautiful as well.

Momma OK?

6 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Beautiful name (though I gather you've done this before?). Picture didn't show (to me), but I assume she's beautiful as well.

Momma OK?

Mrs. bigbens is doing fine. Her epidural finally wore off somewhat and she's able to walk around freely now, albeit with a slight limp in her left leg due to it still being a tad numb.

Cece has been wonderful so far. Can count the number of times she's cried on one hand. 

6 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

10412_zpsiihpn1d6.jpeg

Awesomeness bud! She's beautiful! Glad mom is okay.

My firstborn took 16 hours then ended in a section.

57 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Awesomeness bud! She's beautiful! Glad mom is okay.

My firstborn took 16 hours then ended in a section.

Weirdest thing is the idea that they get easier the more you have. Far from true with Catherine. 

Ava was 6 hours. Sadie was the easiest at 4. Jill went 9, and was induced due to BP. Cece went 15. Go fig.

18 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Weirdest thing is the idea that they get easier the more you have. Far from true with Catherine. 

Ava was 6 hours. Sadie was the easiest at 4. Jill went 9, and was induced due to BP. Cece went 15. Go fig.

Yikes! That does go against what I always thought. Our second went much faster, albeit another section.

Hope y'all rest well. I'll have a brew for ya.

As promised, commemorating Cece's birth, my dad and I are putting these away. 

IMG_20170523_191809431_zpsvahqjo3d.jpg

11 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

10412_zpsiihpn1d6.jpeg

Congrats to you and your family!

@Bigbens42, so happy for you guys! Absolutely beautiful girl and beautiful name! Glad Momma's doing well.  

And nice work on the Westies. The last time I had one was to celebrate my daughter's birth. 

Not quite Westbrook good, but a tasty Gose after mowing the grass. Will buy again. 

IMG_20170527_100107295_zpsw3ie81kk.jpg

At a place called Sergio's in Louisville. Beer prices are absolutely outrageous. But the selection is out of this world. 

$12 for a Founders Frootwood 12oz? GTFOH. 

$10 for a Zombie Dust 12oz? GTFOH. 

Cash only also. 

Archived