Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

CC5FA1C6-39B1-4E5D-957E-897D3BBB3702_zpsAnother really really good beer. A bit milder and sweet with a big malt backbone. Good citrus and tropical fruit(mango) on the front. Very little bite. I freaking love Green Man brewery. They were my first Asheville beer 7-8 years ago.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Father's day to all our dads. Girls got me a very nice set of English pub glasses from Williams-Sonoma.

Edit: Oh, and John Wick 2. Badass. 

Also had today:

Terrapin Watermelon Gose-solid. 

SoPro Dry Hopped Berliner-meh. 

Ballast Point Thai Chilli Wahoo-some heat, definitely Thai style. Couldn't drink more than one. 

Terrapin Chubby Bunny-best of the bunch. S'more stout. 

On 6/18/2017 at 3:25 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also had today:

Terrapin Watermelon Gose-solid. 

SoPro Dry Hopped Berliner-meh. 

Ballast Point Thai Chilli Wahoo-some heat, definitely Thai style. Couldn't drink more than one. 

Terrapin Chubby Bunny-best of the bunch. S'more stout. 

I tried that Gose-solid yesterday as well. I don't think I'm a fan of the style in general, but I enjoyed the beer. 

On 6/15/2017 at 10:33 AM, Barnacle said:

haha I take it that you aren't a fan of Silicon Valley. Let me initiate you: 

So, when I said "this guy" I didn't mean "that guy." 

I really need to watch that show more. I've enjoyed everything I've seen from it. 

^ Wierd, I guess I never clicked "Submit Reply" on that the other day.

Huge fan of Terp's Watermelon Gose. Also a huge fan of Wild Heaven's Watermelon Emergency Drinking Beer. Not previously a fan of watermelon beers- ESPECIALLY not 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon or whatever- but some of our locals are really getting that fresh watermelon flavor into their beers. 

As for goses, another good local is Creature Comfort's Tritonia- cucumber and lime. Possibly a little overhyped, as many of CCB's beers are around here, but definitely quite good. Probably my favorite gose. 

Haven't had anything else recently that blows me away. Evil Twin's got some good IPAs these days. Might start trying more ciders. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I really need to watch that show more. I've enjoyed everything I've seen from it. 

^ Wierd, I guess I never clicked "Submit Reply" on that the other day.

Huge fan of Terp's Watermelon Gose. Also a huge fan of Wild Heaven's Watermelon Emergency Drinking Beer. Not previously a fan of watermelon beers- ESPECIALLY not 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon or whatever- but some of our locals are really getting that fresh watermelon flavor into their beers. 

As for goses, another good local is Creature Comfort's Tritonia- cucumber and lime. Possibly a little overhyped, as many of CCB's beers are around here, but definitely quite good. Probably my favorite gose. 

Haven't had anything else recently that blows me away. Evil Twin's got some good IPAs these days. Might start trying more ciders. 

Are goses considered sours? I mean, they taste sour to me, but I didn't know if its a separate thing. I had two goses on Sunday. One was from Second Self Brewery called Maverick and Gose. Wasn't a fan of that one. The other was the watermelon that I did like. 

As to Silicon Valley, its pretty damn funny. First season especially. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Are goses considered sours?

Yup. They've got lactobacillus in them. I think the main thing that separates them from most other sours is the use of salt and coriander, but I stand to be corrected on that. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. They've got lactobacillus in them. I think the main thing that separates them from most other sours is the use of salt and coriander, but I stand to be corrected on that. 

Yeah, I'm still not crazy over them, but that Terrapin Watermelon and the Dogfish Head Sea Quench are both pretty good, even if I wouldn't want to have a second. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I'm still not crazy over them, but that Terrapin Watermelon and the Dogfish Head Sea Quench are both pretty good, even if I wouldn't want to have a second. 

Sea Quench, yeah, that's a good one.

I don't tend to drink them in quantity, either. If I genuinely just want one or MAYBE two thirst quenchers, that's my move.

I've had a 4 pack of Tritonia in my fridge for over a week. There are only 2 gone and my wife drank one of them. Very much a situational beverage for me. 

I drink a s*** ton of Gose and sours in general over the summer months. Nothing better after a morning of yardwork or chilling by the pool. 

Strangely enough, my dad loves sours, and he's a Coors drinker. 

3 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I drink a s*** ton of Gose and sours in general over the summer months. Nothing better after a morning of yardwork or chilling by the pool. 

He's really love Wild Heaven's Emergency Drinking Beer, regular or watermelon. He might not like paying for it, though. The wife and I struggle with that. Is it different enough to pay a premium price for a low grav beer?? I run into that with a lot of session beers. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is it different enough to pay a premium price for a low grav beer?? I run into that with a lot of session beers. 

I always do this to myself. I'll get all pissy when I see an ABV below 5% for a $12 six-pack, but I'll gladly spend $4.00 for the same beer at a bar. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I always do this to myself. I'll get all pissy when I see an ABV below 5% for a $12 six-pack, but I'll gladly spend $4.00 for the same beer at a bar. 

Ain't it the truth. 

It's going to happen to me tomorrow night, in fact. Cornhole night and the spot always has several new and cool beers on tap. And I won't think twice about trying several of them. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ain't it the truth. 

It's going to happen to me tomorrow night, in fact. Cornhole night and the spot always has several new and cool beers on tap. And I won't think twice about trying several of them. 

And by God, you shouldn't!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Is it different enough to pay a premium price for a low grav beer?? I run into that with a lot of session beers. 

I'll spend a lot of money on an artfully crafted sour regardless of alcohol content. Drinking a good gueuze is an experience all its own.

6 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'll spend a lot of money on an artfully crafted sour regardless of alcohol content. Drinking a good gueuze is an experience all its own.

Oh, definitely. The beer I was referring to specifically isn't a sour, but a lager-style ale with a low ABV and just a hint of tartness and salt to it. It's extremely drinkable/crushable/sessionable but is in no way the complex experience that a great Belgian lambic is. 

Humblebrag... here's the koelschip at Cantillon. That's just regular old Brussels air and magical spontaneous fermentation waiting to funkify some beer. Some more (terribly taken) pics below that.

Image may contain: table

Image may contain: indoor

No automatic alt text available.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Makes some sense? Differing standards in what to get for home and what to get prior to a drive home would certainly seem advisable.

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, definitely. The beer I was referring to specifically isn't a sour, but a lager-style ale with a low ABV and just a hint of tartness and salt to it. It's extremely drinkable/crushable/sessionable but is in no way the complex experience that a great Belgian lambic is. 

Humblebrag... here's the koelschip at Cantillon. That's just regular old Brussels air and magical spontaneous fermentation waiting to funkify some beer. Some more (terribly taken) pics below that.

Image may contain: table

We So. Ala, townies don't get such nice things, but there are compensations.

Edited for clarity

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Makes some sense? Differing standards in what to get for home and what to get prior to a drive home would certainly seem advisable.

Oh I definitely make different decisions when I know that I'm driving. But, it's funny what I choose to spend my money on in one situation, that I won't in another. 

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Unfortunately, Westbrook set the bar too damn high with their gose. I can't drink one without comparing it to Westbrook. "Not enough salt", "not tart enough", "not as good as Westbrook". 

Archived